What are the firearm requirements for wear and carry class?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pleasant1911

Ultimate Member
    Apr 12, 2012
    Is there a minimum caliber one has to qualify with to get a wear and carry permit. I read it’s 15 yards maximum with 70% accuracy. Does it matter if one brings a 22lr pistol? Does the instructors giving the classes and grading the marksmanship, set the target at the maximum requirement of 15 yards and require/expect you to shoot a certain caliber or would they let you shoot a 22lr at 7 yards?

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    Garet Jax is correct, but some instructors impose their own restrictions. Check with the instructor you plan to use and either honor his opinion or get another instructor.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    Is there a minimum caliber one has to qualify with to get a wear and carry permit. I read it’s 15 yards maximum with 70% accuracy. Does it matter if one brings a 22lr pistol? Does the instructors giving the classes and grading the marksmanship, set the target at the maximum requirement of 15 yards and require/expect you to shoot a certain caliber or would they let you shoot a 22lr at 7 yards?
    70% at 15 yards isn't a thing

It's 20/25 (80%) of hits on a B27 target

If my memory is correct
    5 @ 3 yards
    10 @ 7 yards
    5 @ 10 yards
    5 @ 15 yards

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong

hillbilly grandpa

Jan 26, 2013
    Arnold
    No, it's 18 out of 25. A 70% score is required to pass. With MSP math at work a 70% score is impossible. 17 = 68%; 18 = 72%. There's no such score as 17.5.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Garet Jax is correct, but some instructors impose their own restrictions. Check with the instructor you plan to use and either honor his opinion or get another instructor.
    This. Mine had a minimum of 9mm for qualifying. It's BS, but check ahead.

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    As did my wife

No requirement in law or regulation. Some instructors care though.

The guy that used .22 in my class was in his early 20s and he had a noticeable learning disability. He was taking the class with his father. I’d be amazed if he gets a carry permit but he did get the class certificate.

miles71

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jul 19, 2009
    Belcamp, Md.
    Some Instructors, me included, want students to train with what they plan to carry. If a medical or other condition limit someone I make exceptions. There is no requirement for caliber in the law.

Like you said, if you don’t like what the instructor requires I am sure you can find another course. There seem to be plenty of instructors willing to do the minimum for their students.

TD

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    I allow students to qualify with .22, but the requirement is “to demonstrate proficiency”

I require a magazine of centerfire, preferably 9mm in addition to the qual.

ezracer

Certified Gun Nut
    Jul 27, 2012
    Behind enemy lines...
    So Yes it's 25 rnds . Minimum passing score 70% on a B-27 Silhouette. In reality 18 out of 25. All hits in the black.

5 rnds. @ 3 yrds
    10 rnds @5 yrds
    5 rnds @ 7 yrds
    5 rnds @ 15 yrds

linkstate

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2013
    Howard County
    Like others have said. Contact the instructor and ask. There is what the state requires and what some instructors require over and above.

I would just take what you have and have shot some. The target is huge. If you have even basic marksmanship skills and can safely handle and manipulate your firearm, you will pass.

For example, in my case I hadn’t decided on a carry gun. So I took my G19 and got a cheap Pole Craft holster off Amazon and did the class.

pleasant1911

Ultimate Member
    Apr 12, 2012
    Some Instructors, me included, want students to train with what they plan to carry. If a medical or other condition limit someone I make exceptions. There is no requirement for caliber in the law.

Like you said, if you don’t like what the instructor requires I am sure you can find another course. There seem to be plenty of instructors willing to do the minimum for their students.

TD

Isn’t that going against the whole 2A in theory. Now the state of Maryland allows you but the instructor are the obstacle of someone getting their permit. Why would any instructor care what caliber one uses? So the whole notion all law abiding citizens should be able carry is just total BS. So MD’s pro 2A instructors are still less gun friendly than VA gun laws for its residents.

I wouldn’t be surprised if instructors soon are giving out their own written test and interviews for people to the required classes. It s almost anti 2A

pleasant1911

Ultimate Member
    Apr 12, 2012
    Like others have said. Contact the instructor and ask. There is what the state requires and what some instructors require over and above.

I would just take what you have and have shot some. The target is huge. If you have even basic marksmanship skills and can safely handle and manipulate your firearm, you will pass.

For example, in my case I hadn’t decided on a carry gun. So I took my G19 and got a cheap Pole Craft holster off Amazon and did the class.

I was discussing with a friend and just wondering.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Isn’t that going against the whole 2A in theory. Now the state of Maryland allows you but the instructor are the obstacle of someone getting their permit. Why would any instructor care what caliber one uses? So the whole notion all law abiding citizens should be able carry is just total BS. So MD’s pro 2A instructors are still less gun friendly than VA gun laws for its residents.

I wouldn’t be surprised if instructors soon are giving out their own written test and interviews for people to the required classes. It s almost anti 2A

DEAD HORSE !
    We've had at least a dozen threads on this .

* Place Minimum Burden possible for people to exercise Fundimental Right * vs * Moral Obligation to make reasonable efforts to instill a degree of Actual Competency in students , because it's Serious Business , if only for their survival . and that of those under their care and protection *

Garet Jax

Not ignored by gamer_jim
    MDS Supporter
    May 5, 2011
    Bel Air
    So Yes it's 25 rnds . Minimum passing score 70% on a B-27 Silhouette. In reality 18 out of 25. All hits in the black.

5 rnds. @ 3 yrds
    10 rnds @5 yrds
    5 rnds @ 7 yrds
    5 rnds @ 15 yrds

Right - the way the numbers play out, the student can miss 100% of their 15 yards shots and still pass.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland

Their business, their rules. Contact other businesses. If they have different rules, use them. The market is not restrictive. At least for now, it is not terribly difficult to get the QHIC.

I may have disliked the rules when I had to go get a cert to teach on a contract (they were in addition to the fed standards and specific to the instructor/facility qualifying us) but that's what I had to deal with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom