What are the "Camping Essentials" for the newbie camping family?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Major03

Ultimate Member
    Great way to spend family time and build memories...even if the kids complain a bit about the bugs along the way.

On that note...shower shoes for the trip to and from the bath house. Flashlights / headlamps for everyone.

Bug spray (or equivalent like Avon's skin so soft -- it works!).

Agree on the tarps, and spare tent for the kids. Definitely want sleeping bags and consider either the foam roll up mattresses (can use them as you graduate to backpacking) or a blow up air mattress (if it's truck bed camping). Cots if you really want to be comfortable.

If you're truck bed camping, some portable yard games (think horse shoes or bean bag toss) makes things fun around the campsite. Bring firewood (a lot of campsites don't want you cutting your own and the loose stuff gets picked up fast). Sometimes the camp ground's store has bundles you can buy if you forget.

Stuff to make s'mores. Can't be a kid and have a campfire without them.

A lantern is nice if you want to set it up on a camp picnic table (usually at each site) and play cards / table games after the sun sets.

Portable camp chairs for sitting around the fire.

To be honest...if you're camping out of the back of a car/truck you can almost think of it as an extended tail gate party. Plan accordingly (although music, generators and things that run off of generators will generally annoy other campers and will diminish your overall experience).

K.C.Dean

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Buds Creek
    There is alot of good info that will definitely get you started. I did alot of camping when my son was in the boy scouts. One thing I always brought that helped on a few occasion was trash bags. Anything you want to keep dry put it in a trash bag and seal it. There were times it rained so hard that the tarp under the bottom of the tent didn't keep the water out. Thats why I ho with a blow up mattress. You also might be able to find some things you need at a thrift shop or on Craigslist.

Clark W. Griswold

Oct 5, 2009
    Best bet is to sell the gift card and use that money for gear purchased elsewhere. As already mentioned rei will chew through that 250 in minutes.

Bad advice. Most of what REI sells is reasonably priced for what it is. They just don't sell the cheap junk you get at Wally World. That said, if you want a Coleman Stove or lantern, you can get it cheaper almost anywhere else.

To the OP, it sounds like you will be car and cabin camping for a couple years or so. $250 won't outfit you from any store. I'd suggest concentrating on a few durable items that will fit your needs as your camping desires grow. Alternately, if you decide you want to stick with cabin and car camping you won't find yourself wondering why you own the stove that works from sea level all the way up to 15,000ft that cost you $350.

To that end I would suggest the following:

1. Sleeping pads. Thermarest self inflatables or similar. Much lighter than an air mattress, more durable, simpler and just as comfortable. Expect to pay 50-90 each. You could blow your gift card on these.

2. Plates, bowls, cups and utensils for everyone. You can go cheap and light with plastic and they will last many years. You can go moderate priced and light with aluminum that will last decades. You can go pricey and very lightweight with titanium that your grandkids will use. (I stick with plastic, losing a 99 cent spoon i can live with, it would kill me to lose a $10 titanium spoon that only saved me 2oz)

3. Water containers. 5 gallon jug and Nalgene bottles for everyone. If you plan to filter water, you need a container to gather your dirty water before you filter it. Just make sure to mark it so you don;t mix it up.

4. Headlamps. Best way to hold a light and have hands free. You'll also learn multiple ways to yell at your kids for blinding you because they keep looking you in the eye with their headlamp.

There's other things I use that are "nice to have", but these things are on my "must have" list for every car camping trip and with the exception of the 5 gallon jug, almost every backpacking trip. Depending on what you choose you could blow through those gift card on a couple items or you could get a bunch of decent stuff that you'll use for a long time.

One thing I would caution against is buying youth sleeping bags at this point from REI. If you were back country camping it would be a good idea but if your plan is cabin and car camping, just get the youth bags from wally world. They work fine for that kind of camping and they are cheap. Kids that young are hard on sleeping bags.

One other suggestion as you move forward would be to forget that 10 man tent and get a 3 man for you and the wife and a 3 man for the kids. 2 small tents are lighter and easier to set up than one giant tent. And there's other benefits to not sharing a tent with the kids. You're probably 3-4 years away from them (and possibly you) feeling comfortable sleeping in their own tent, so I would hold off on seperate tents.

ground chuck

Rookie Jedi
    Sep 28, 2013
    Charm City County
    Bad advice. Most of what REI sells is reasonably priced for what it is. They just don't sell the cheap junk you get at Wally World. That said, if you want a Coleman Stove or lantern, you can get it cheaper almost anywhere else.

To the OP, it sounds like you will be car and cabin camping for a couple years or so. $250 won't outfit you from any store. I'd suggest concentrating on a few durable items that will fit your needs as your camping desires grow. Alternately, if you decide you want to stick with cabin and car camping you won't find yourself wondering why you own the stove that works from sea level all the way up to 15,000ft that cost you $350.

To that end I would suggest the following:

1. Sleeping pads. Thermarest self inflatables or similar. Much lighter than an air mattress, more durable, simpler and just as comfortable. Expect to pay 50-90 each. You could blow your gift card on these.

2. Plates, bowls, cups and utensils for everyone. You can go cheap and light with plastic and they will last many years. You can go moderate priced and light with aluminum that will last decades. You can go pricey and very lightweight with titanium that your grandkids will use. (I stick with plastic, losing a 99 cent spoon i can live with, it would kill me to lose a $10 titanium spoon that only saved me 2oz)

3. Water containers. 5 gallon jug and Nalgene bottles for everyone. If you plan to filter water, you need a container to gather your dirty water before you filter it. Just make sure to mark it so you don;t mix it up.

4. Headlamps. Best way to hold a light and have hands free. You'll also learn multiple ways to yell at your kids for blinding you because they keep looking you in the eye with their headlamp.

There's other things I use that are "nice to have", but these things are on my "must have" list for every car camping trip and with the exception of the 5 gallon jug, almost every backpacking trip. Depending on what you choose you could blow through those gift card on a couple items or you could get a bunch of decent stuff that you'll use for a long time.

One thing I would caution against is buying youth sleeping bags at this point from REI. If you were back country camping it would be a good idea but if your plan is cabin and car camping, just get the youth bags from wally world. They work fine for that kind of camping and they are cheap. Kids that young are hard on sleeping bags.

One other suggestion as you move forward would be to forget that 10 man tent and get a 3 man for you and the wife and a 3 man for the kids. 2 small tents are lighter and easier to set up than one giant tent. And there's other benefits to not sharing a tent with the kids. You're probably 3-4 years away from them (and possibly you) feeling comfortable sleeping in their own tent, so I would hold off on seperate tents.

Sorry agree to disagree. Having spent camping every month while my son was in scouts, $250 @ rei will only get part of what the op needs. I am not president of rei, but am a member and will agree that they sell quality gear, but as with all things you pay for what you get.

my suggestion is just an alternative to get as many items as needed and then upgrade what he needs. A 2-3 person quaterdome tent with footprint will cost $150-$175 even in the outlet which I saw several weeks ago online.

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    A Separate tent for the kids will go a long way towards making the nights better for everyone.

:thumbsup: This! A large tarp to cover your cooking area or stretch between the two tents. Unless you like rain on your breakfast. It will rain at some point in your stays. Two burner stove, lantern kids sleeping bags. Big water can 5 gal min.

JBinDC

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2012
    MoCo - Silver Spring
    Yo! OP Here - thanks for all the good info so far! Dropped by REI and did reinforce my original thoughts already expressed here - $250 will go QUICK!

So, I'm regrouping a bit, and modifying my question. I think I can buy lotsa this bigger stuff used on CL or eBay. Saw a couple camp stoves and kiddy sleeping bags on CL just today. Had I known people upgrade tents so much, ida just bought that used too! But I do have a big tent for the big peeps, and our old couples tent for the kiddies.

My new question is, given that the above is handled, which stuff is best bought new with my REI credit, vs used. As in, I guess I'll relegate the $250 towards stuff I must buy new.

Going through my survival gear, I already have:

Tent for Adults
    Tent for kiddies
    Water Purifying Pump
    Wet Fire starter
    Various tarps
    Lanterns/flashlights
    Axe / Machetes
    Cast iron pan & bacon press

OK, changing gears, what essentially should be bought new at REI?

Thanks again!

Dec 31, 2012
    Small propane heater that runs off of 1lb cylinders if you plan on late season camping. I used one late last October to dry out and warm up the tent during a heavy downpour. The tent held the water out but the moisture still permeates into everything not sealed in a plastic bag. Not an absolute need but it was nice to have for fall camping as long as you follow common sense safety rules.

Clark W. Griswold

Oct 5, 2009
    Yo! OP Here - thanks for all the good info so far! Dropped by REI and did reinforce my original thoughts already expressed here - $250 will go QUICK!

So, I'm regrouping a bit, and modifying my question. I think I can buy lotsa this bigger stuff used on CL or eBay. Saw a couple camp stoves and kiddy sleeping bags on CL just today. Had I known people upgrade tents so much, ida just bought that used too! But I do have a big tent for the big peeps, and our old couples tent for the kiddies.

My new question is, given that the above is handled, which stuff is best bought new with my REI credit, vs used. As in, I guess I'll relegate the $250 towards stuff I must buy new.

Going through my survival gear, I already have:

Tent for Adults
    Tent for kiddies
    Water Purifying Pump
    Wet Fire starter
    Various tarps
    Lanterns/flashlights
    Axe / Machetes
    Cast iron pan & bacon press

OK, changing gears, what essentially should be bought new at REI?

Thanks again!

Be careful buying used tents. They may look great but leak like a sieve at the first rain. Assume they will leak and evaluate price accordingly. I set them up in the yard and spray with a hose. If it doesn't leak its a bonus. If it leaks, I already planned to treat it. Ok, that doesn't help you 'cause you said you already have tents. Just advice for the future grasshopper :)

I'll stick by my original suggestions. Buy simple, durable goods that you will get the maximum use from no matter what type of camping you do in the future.

JBinDC

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2012
    MoCo - Silver Spring
    Be careful buying used tents. They may look great but leak like a sieve at the first rain. Assume they will leak and evaluate price accordingly. I set them up in the yard and spray with a hose. If it doesn't leak its a bonus. If it leaks, I already planned to treat it. Ok, that doesn't help you 'cause you said you already have tents. Just advice for the future grasshopper :)

I'll stick by my original suggestions. Buy simple, durable goods that you will get the maximum use from no matter what type of camping you do in the future.

Oh hey I truly appreciate any info for future reference! Like for used stoves, I'm assuming it'd be prudent to maybe bring a can of fuel to test one out, etc etc...

I'll take ANY tips and tricks I can get! Thanks!

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    Add - Look into getting a 'pop up' canopy.

We always take one with us. (My wife only leaves the TV and the microwave at home!)

That canopy came in REAL handy one year, when we went on our annual trip in October.
    It snowed 6"!!!!

We always camp with another family, and we used our tarps to make 'walls' and a waterproof roof for the canopy and I had taken a small propane burner (to cook/deep-fry chicken wings) and we heated that structure/shanty and had an amazing time!!

Clark W. Griswold

Oct 5, 2009
    Add - Look into getting a 'pop up' canopy.

We always take one with us. (My wife only leaves the TV and the microwave at home!)

That canopy came in REAL handy one year, when we went on our annual trip in October.
    It snowed 6"!!!!

We always camp with another family, and we used our tarps to make 'walls' and a waterproof roof for the canopy and I had taken a small propane burner (to cook/deep-fry chicken wings) and we heated that structure/shanty and had an amazing time!!

This is outstanding advice and I can't believe I didn't think of it. Won't help you spend your gift cards but you can get one of these on sale at dicks or Wally World for around a 100.

It's not on my must have list, but it ranks higher than my nice to have list for car camping.

ground chuck

Rookie Jedi
    Sep 28, 2013
    Charm City County
    Small propane heater that runs off of 1lb cylinders if you plan on late season camping. I used one late last October to dry out and warm up the tent during a heavy downpour. The tent held the water out but the moisture still permeates into everything not sealed in a plastic bag. Not an absolute need but it was nice to have for fall camping as long as you follow common sense safety rules.

One of these saved my arse one December while camping at Antietam. Snow was on the ground when we got there and fell for most of the weekend. Prized possession for late season camping.

Oct 21, 2008
    St Mary's
    Go to geartrade. You can get used gear at a great price. It's like ebay for outdoor gear. I've bought and sold several items there and they are great. It costs a little to sell but their procedure is about as safe as it can be for both buyer and seller
    It will save you a ton of cash.

EDIT: I forgot you can also go to Sierra Trading Post. They always have a lot of excellent deals.

webb297

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2010
    Bowie
    www.REIOUTLET.com might help save a little cash -

30% off a cook kit -
    http://www.rei.com/product/876217/coghlans-hard-anodized-cook-set-special-buy

40% off a sun shelter -
    http://www.rei.com/product/868737/alps-mountaineering-tri-awning-sun-shelter-special-buy#specsTab

A bunch off of sleeping pads:
    http://www.rei.com/outlet/c/sleeping-pads-cots-and-hammocks

Also - your Costco tent will work fine. Until it rains. Or the wind goes over 13.5 mph. It is a fair weather only piece of fabric w/ poles.

Which REI are you planning on going to, I am very familiar with the store and equipment, and would not mind going through and giving an opinion on equipment (I frequent the College Park one).

Paige

Jan 30, 2008
    In some instances, bring EXACTLY how much you need, for example PLAN your food and snacks, etc. it's ok to bring a LITTLE more than you need but not a LOT
    Things like pots, pans and utensils....bring what you are going to use not the entire kitchen, but remember, you do need things like spatulas, Lg spoons, etc

ORGANIZE!!
    I have my stuff organized for "car" camping into tupperware type containers, one is all kitchen/cooking stuff, another has my air mattress, sleeping bags, throw rugs for inside the tent, etc

I have 2 big plastic tubs that we use for camping. One is filled with cooking and cleaning basics and things like flashlights and lanterns and another has the extra cooking stuff and we pack our non-refrigerated food in it.

Being able to just throw the bins in the truck and stop at Walmart on the way to camping makes life much easier.

Hatter

NEWB - Slack Appreciated!
    Mar 6, 2013
    Stewartstown, PA
    My favorite advice for new campers is to leave the axe/hatchet/machete at home and bring a hammer (I prefer what is called a drillers hammer - short handle w/heavy wide head) and a bow saw or camp saw. Be sure to get a blade cover for the saw, or make one from a length of radiator hose.

You will drive tent stakes more easily with a wide face hammer, and cut ALOT more wood with a saw than you will with an axe or hatchet and it is much safer to use.

If you want to take a blade, an EDC pocket knife is a great choice. If you let the (older) kids carry a pocket knife go inexpensive to begin with because they WILL loose them the first day. Get a blade that locks while in use for folding knives. When camping with kids, show them how to use the tools you choose to bring rather than banning them from helping.

The last essential in my camping kit is always a Frisbee or Aerobee throwing toy. Not only fun to play with, but they make great paper plate holders if you get the right size. Best place to carry them is in the end of sleeping bag stuff bags. They do not get bent or crushed as easily, and they help keep dirt and rain out of the stuff bag.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom