What are the "Camping Essentials" for the newbie camping family?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • webb297

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2010
    Bowie
    My favorite advice for new campers is to leave the axe/hatchet/machete at home and bring a hammer (I prefer what is called a drillers hammer - short handle w/heavy wide head) and a bow saw or camp saw. Be sure to get a blade cover for the saw, or make one from a length of radiator hose.

You will drive tent stakes more easily with a wide face hammer, and cut ALOT more wood with a saw than you will with an axe or hatchet and it is much safer to use.

If you want to take a blade, an EDC pocket knife is a great choice. If you let the (older) kids carry a pocket knife go inexpensive to begin with because they WILL loose them the first day. Get a blade that locks while in use for folding knives. When camping with kids, show them how to use the tools you choose to bring rather than banning them from helping.

The last essential in my camping kit is always a Frisbee or Aerobee throwing toy. Not only fun to play with, but they make great paper plate holders if you get the right size. Best place to carry them is in the end of sleeping bag stuff bags. They do not get bent or crushed as easily, and they help keep dirt and rain out of the stuff bag.

This man knows of which he speaks. Secrets of the trade you could say. It took forever to convince the scouts that a saw was better than a hatchet, but it certainly is. (but I love hatchets!)

new_shooter

Ultimate Member
    Jun 26, 2010
    I'd get your kids GOOD sleeping bags. Avoid cheapos. My family did a lot of camping when I was a kid, and I was so dedicated I didn't realize how miserable I was freezing in cheap sleeping bags. They are most often cotton, and even in summer they get damp and suck all your body heat away. Brrr.

When I got older I bough myself a good quality bag and the difference astounded me. I was warm while sleeping while frost formed on the tent.

You don't have to get them Everest level stuff. Just a good bag, maybe rated for 20 degrees or so, sized a bit large so you can get a couple of seasons out of it. Worth every single cent you spend.

Thermarest mats are good. A sheet of closed cell is often cheaper and just as good. It's bulkier, but so long as you're car camping that's fine. I'm not a fan of air mattresses. I think the air inside circulates and makes me cold. YMMV.

You've a good sized tent. Good.

For your immediate camping style (cabin, car) a double burner stove and a nesting set of pots/pans will do you good. Trust me, you'll appreciate heating water for coffee at the same time you're scrambling eggs or frying bacon. Second burner is a godsend in the morning. Don't waste your effort on a super light stove until you NEED to reduce weight/bulk, should you ever get into backpacking.

Get each kid an LED flashlight. They'll cling to it like a Linus's security blanket at night. Also get some of those strings of chemical lights. Collar each kid with one and you'll be able to track them at night easier.

Marshmallows, Hershey bars, graham crackers. You know what to do.

marko12

Sep 28, 2009
    Maryland, on the Chesapeake Bay
    Already mentioned a good First Aid Kit, also don't forget regular Rxs and OTC medicines for stomach upset, diarrhea, poison ivy-oak-sumack, antibiotic ointment for the scrapes and small cuts. Also perhaps a epinephrine syringe if anyone is allergic and the regular aspirin and ace bandages for sprains and bumps.

Another more important item is a camera to take the priceless photos that great memories are made from.

You can cook just about anything in a Dutch Oven with good results, the learning curve isn't that steep.

http://dutchovennet.com/index.html

http://www.medicinenet.com/epinephrine_allergy_syringe/article.htm

AND NEVER EVER FORGET BACON !!!

Most of all be safe and have fun and collect as many good memories as possible. Kids don't stay kids forever but they remember good family times forever.

Last edited:

Paige

Jan 30, 2008
    My favorite advice for new campers is to leave the axe/hatchet/machete at home and bring a hammer (I prefer what is called a drillers hammer - short handle w/heavy wide head) and a bow saw or camp saw. Be sure to get a blade cover for the saw, or make one from a length of radiator hose.

You will drive tent stakes more easily with a wide face hammer, and cut ALOT more wood with a saw than you will with an axe or hatchet and it is much safer to use.

Brennan usually just throws the chainsaw in the truck.... But our camping generally is done when we're offroading, so someone will go find a downed tree and drag the whole log back to camp with their truck/buggy/jeep.

Oct 21, 2008
    St Mary's
    Marko my friend, you know how to camp!
    Already mentioned a good First Aid Kit, also don't forget regular Rxs and OTC medicines for stomach upset, diarrhea, poison ivy-oak-sumack, antibiotic ointment for the scrapes and small cuts. Also perhaps a epinephrine syringe if anyone it allergic and the regular aspirin and ace bandages for sprains and bumps.

Another more important item is a camera to take the priceless photos that great memories are made from.

You can cook just about anything in a Dutch Oven with good results, the learning curve isn't that steep.

http://dutchovennet.com/index.html

http://www.medicinenet.com/epinephrine_allergy_syringe/article.htm

AND NEVER EVER FORGET BACON !!!
    Most of all be safe and have fun and collect as many good memories as possible. Kids don't stay kids forever but they remember good family times forever.

marko12

Sep 28, 2009
    Maryland, on the Chesapeake Bay
    Street, I have camped with some of the best people I have ever met or will ever meet.

I have learned so much from just sitting back and observing what the "real campers" and "survivors" know.

Nobody knows everything, but everyone knows something.....

You, my friend, have taught so many so much and I feel privlidged to have seen you in action.

P1000765.jpg

P1000780.jpg

Certainly not a kid, but I still can embed great memories that will last forever.

Thanks for breakfast, again !

mancheechee

Daily Trigger
    Jul 22, 2010
    Frederick
    One thing I would recommend from REI, for drive in camping, is their ALCOVE shelter.
    It is very easy to assemble, provides shade and shields your camp table from the rain. You can even buy the drapes for the sides to block heavy rain and also for privacy if you need it.
    If you ever need shade in your backyard for a party, you can use the ALCOVE too.

Youll have some money left for other small essential gear others have posted.
    Its easy to get carried away buying things you dknt really need. So tread carefully. But REI allows returns for up to a year no questions asked.

Last, get the paha que hammock!! Our kids use it EVERYTIME!! It packs away to two fist size bag.

rgramjet

Ultimate Member
    Jan 25, 2009
    Howard County
    We brought two double Eno hammocks. The kids loved them and my twin 8 years olds slept overnight on Sunday. I was sure they would come in my tent.....but they didn't.

LONGSHOT

May 7, 2011
    ABERDEEN,HARFORD
    learn to put tent up in back yard ,then everyone will know how to do it when you get to camp site.pack car so when unpacking everything falls into place at site,if it's like us it will be getting dark out. good luck.

Last edited:

shanewolfe

Sep 4, 2011
    Odenton, MD
    My list...

Purely for car camping, I'd get the following (and second some previous posts). My camping gear is also mostly useable for other things.

1. I prefer layered blankets to sleeping bags myself, but only because I can use them in multiple ways. They are cheaper, easier to clean, and more comfortable (to me). I don't like the zipped-in-tight thing you get with most sleeping bags.

2. Thermarest pads. Buy the real deal. They can double as a shooting mat in prone.

3. Coleman duel-fuel stove - two burner. You can camp with it, use a canner on it, cook at home if the power goes out, etc. Use only white-fuel. Buy it used if you can. You can still get parts for even some of the oldest ones.

4. Coleman duel-fuel lantern. More $ upfront, but they are bright and cheap to run. White fuel for this as well.

5. Build boxes for the lantern and the stove. Look up "patrol box". Lots of plans out there. You can put all your kitchen junk in there and keep it ready to go.

5. Lodge cast iron dutch oven with feet - they call it a "camp oven". You can do EVERYTHING in these.

6. Cast iron skillet - buy em used. Don't be afraid if they are slightly rusty. They are easy to re-season. Google is your friend there - just don't by any that are crazy pitted. Hand them down to your great-great-great grand spawn. They will last that long.

7. Tents - I'm a Eureka fan myself. I used to stare at their catalog as a kid like it was sent from above. I REALLY like their Timberline tents. Tested and around for a long time. If you can afford it, get the higher end models with the better floor (I think they call them the XT line now). I've been in one for two days in torrential down-pours and stayed bone dry. They are vented properly and you'll be comfortable.

8. A Tilley hat for all.

9. Stuff to cut with - I prefer a saw as mention above, but carry a hatched to just to limb stuff. I prefer fixed blade to folding knives just because they are easier to sanitize and the handles are better.

10. Collapsible water container for potable water.

11. A stove-top percolator - a large one. You can use it to boil your water in for washing dishes, and other stuff as well... I hear you can make coffee in them too.

Get or buy your wood on-site. Don't move it! The emerald ash-borer is in Maryland now, so do your part and keep the wood on-site.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wolfloc22

Latest threads

Top Bottom