• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fishguy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2009
    Montgomery County
    Actually, I am sure I am doing everything wrong, a better question might be how do I shoot this d@m thing?

I picked up an old Browning compund bow off of Craigslist the other day for $20.00 to learn how to shoot a bow. Went to Dick's and the guy measured the draw weight, etc and hooked me up with some arrows and an arm protector.

Here's the problem, I can't hit the broad side of a barn with it. I'm shooting from 20 yards and cannot reliably hit the 3 ft diameter hay circle that holds the target, much less the paper of the target. It has a pin sight that I move up, down, left, right with no noticable change in point of impact.

What are a couple of the basics I need to know to get started?
    Thanks.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    The first things that comes to my mind is:

1) What kind of rest do you have?

2) Are you knocking the arrows properly? Cock feather up or down.

3) Do you understand the technique of sighting the bow in with the pin(s)

4) What kind of release are you using? Finger glove or trigger release?

5) Where are you located?

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    Only thing i can think of is anchor point,
    learn to shoot consistent first before changing your sight

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Could it be you are opposite handed when it comes to Archery? Yes, it sounds odd.

When I started out in Archery years ago, I thought I would start with a right hand bow, since I shoot right handed. Turns out I'm a left handed archer.

Fishguy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2009
    Montgomery County
    The first things that comes to my mind is:

1) What kind of rest do you have?

2) Are you knocking the arrows properly? Cock feather up or down.

3) Do you understand the technique of sighting the bow in with the pin(s)

4) What kind of release are you using? Finger glove or trigger release?

5) Where are you located?

Answers:
    1) ?
    2) down, I think
    3) most likely not
    4) both with similar results
    5) Germantown

Thanks
    Tim

Fishguy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2009
    Montgomery County
    Could it be you are opposite handed when it comes to Archery? Yes, it sounds odd.

When I started out in Archery years ago, I thought I would start with a right hand bow, since I shoot right handed. Turns out I'm a left handed archer.

How in the world would I figure that out, the bow only works right handed. I guess I would have to find someone with a left handed bow and try it out.

Fishguy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2009
    Montgomery County
    Are you using a peep site?

I don't think so. It has one pin that can be adjusted up, down, left, and right. I've been using that kind of like one would use a red dot sight on a rifle, but even if I keep it trained on the same spot everytime, I cannot get anything close to a consistant group that I can use to adjust the dang thing.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    How in the world would I figure that out, the bow only works right handed. I guess I would have to find someone with a left handed bow and try it out.

You can shoot a right hand bow left handed, just watch out for thedraw string slapping your forearm, hurts like a b1tch, but you can do it.

Redneck

Ultimate Member
    Jan 29, 2007
    Sparrows Point
    I don't think so. It has one pin that can be adjusted up, down, left, and right. I've been using that kind of like one would use a red dot sight on a rifle, but even if I keep it trained on the same spot everytime, I cannot get anything close to a consistant group that I can use to adjust the dang thing.

Get a peep, that will help

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    your rest is where you arrow hangs after you nock it to the bow string...if you are pulling back with your right hand the rest is by your left hand...the rest also has to be adjusted to be perpendicular to the string and noc...once that is straight then you can adjust your pins...usually the top is for 20 yrd next is 30yds bottom is for 40yds some have more pins...but thats the basics....the pins however do NOT adjust like a rifle...for left windage you would adjust right for up you would adjust down...but first thing is to get everything straight and make sure your draw length is correct and get a rear peep sight...big thing with a bow is finesse holding it you should not be choking the bow with your left hand that will throw it off too...also make sure you have heavy enough arrows for the draw weight of the bow....also helps to paper tune it...bow shops will show you that...

jaywade

Ultimate Member
    Nov 2, 2009
    Leesburg, VA
    Only thing i can think of is anchor point,
    learn to shoot consistent first before changing your sight

Bingo

this is first are the rest can come later but. think of this as the slab for a house you can't build a house on a uneven slab nor can you shoot a bow w/o a consant anchor point

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    Could be the bow too. Check for cracked limbs, missing or uneven dampers, out of sync or wobbly cams, loose rest, or anything that looks out of whack. Once you do that, then work on consistent shooting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    illlocs33

Latest threads

Top Bottom