What age to buy a semi-auto rifle? & what would I have to do?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • branj70

New dude
    Jan 3, 2012
    I'm 19, about to be 20 in a few months and I've been contemplating buying a rifle. I'm interested in a S&W M&P15/22 but I have no clue if it's legal for me to own? Is it regulated?

Thanks!

fivepointstar

Thank you MD-Goodbye
    Apr 28, 2008
    3rd Rock from the Sun
    you can't own a Registered Firearm until you're 21. The M&P 15/22 is no longer regulated. if you are thinking of higher calibers, you may want to think about

Ruger Mini 14/30
    SKS
    Kel Tec Sub2000
    HP 995

are a few good Semi Auto

branj70

New dude
    Jan 3, 2012
    you can't own a Registered Firearm until you're 21. The M&P 15/22 is no longer regulated. if you are thinking of higher calibers, you may want to think about

Ruger Mini 14/30
    SKS
    Kel Tec Sub2000
    HP 995

are a few good Semi Auto
    So the M&P 15/22 isn't regulated meaning I could legally buy/own one? or would it still have to be registered meaning I can't until I'm 21? Whats the difference between regulated and registered?

branj70

New dude
    Jan 3, 2012

damifinowfish

Ultimate Member
    Dec 14, 2009
    Remulak
    edit: I actually just seen this which states that anyone over 18 can purchase the M&P 15/22.

http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=46263&highlight=M&P+regulated

Now i'm just fuzzy on if it can be purchased in MD or would i have to go across state lines?

If you can not buy it in your home state then do not buy it at all!

When you get caught it will be part of your record that will follow you preventing you from getting good jobs and buying more fire arms.

HardHatMan

FBHO
    Jul 14, 2009
    Virginia
    So the M&P 15/22 isn't regulated meaning I could legally buy/own one? or would it still have to be registered meaning I can't until I'm 21? Whats the difference between regulated and registered?

The only registration in MD is voluntary. I think FPS made a typo. Regulated means you have to be 21+ years old to purchase. When buying a regulated firearm, the background check is state and federal. There is a wait time of ~7 days before the paperwork comes back from the Maryland State Police.

The firearms that FPS listed are center fire caliber firearms that aren't regulated and are sold over the counter after the federal NICS check. 18+ years old and you can own them.

booker

Apr 5, 2008
    Baltimore
    While it isn't related to the legal issue... for the potential purchaser, what are you looking for in the rifle? Have you shot anything before? Do you want an AR-style rifle because it's cool and you want to own it, or do you want to learn proper marksmanship for hunting, competition, or otherwise?

.22 is a good place to start, and you don't have to spend a lot on the rifle so long as it has a decent trigger. Pay for some instruction and you'll be a better shooter when you are 21 and able to purchase the larger caliber rifles and handguns.

Crawl, walk, run.

ffemtreed

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2011
    Wilmington, NC
    you can get a colt Hbar AR15.

In Maryland all firearms are pretty much classified as one of two categories.

Regulated and Non-Regulated

Regulated firearms include all handguns and some scary looking rifles. they require you to be 21 and wait 7 days for a background check before possession.

Non-regulated firearms are all long guns that aren't on the regulated list. You have to be 18 to purchase and the instant background check is used so you can walk out of the store with your gun.

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    branj70, the 4473 and NICS check is a Federal thing. You buy a rifle in Texas, they have the same thing.

MD splits handguns and certain longarms into another category, regulated firearms. On top of the 4473 you pay MD $10 and fill out added forms and wait seven days.

branj70

New dude
    Jan 3, 2012
    While it isn't related to the legal issue... for the potential purchaser, what are you looking for in the rifle? Have you shot anything before? Do you want an AR-style rifle because it's cool and you want to own it, or do you want to learn proper marksmanship for hunting, competition, or otherwise?

.22 is a good place to start, and you don't have to spend a lot on the rifle so long as it has a decent trigger. Pay for some instruction and you'll be a better shooter when you are 21 and able to purchase the larger caliber rifles and handguns.

Crawl, walk, run.
    I've shot a little Italian made .25 handgun & a Winchester 12-gauge but never a rifle. I'm looking to really learn proper marksmanship and maybe, depending on how I do with a rifle, competition. The reason I want an AR type rifle is because I love the way they look and I like the equipment rails of the 15/22. I do want to start with a .22 to learn on, that way I can move up.

Thanks guys!

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    I too recommend the Ruger 10/22 or a Remington 597. Both are cheap ($230 and $180 or so respectively). Both are simple and reliable. The .22LR is the cheapest thing to shoot (Ammunitiontogo has CCI Blazer at $16 per 500). It's a fun and affordable way to work on your marksmanship.

The M&P15-22 will do the same thing being a .22LR, it will just cost more and have less in the way of replacement parts (not that you really need them for it or the above guns).

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom