• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Afrikeber

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2013
    Urbana, Md.
    Just moved from Oregon this summer, walked up on plenty of elk and deer within 40 yards wearing jeans and flannel. They listen and smell more than look. If you’re going to be 300-400 yards out, you could wear a bunny suit and they wouldn’t care.
    My thoughts exactly

TheBert

The Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2013
    Gaithersburg, Maryland
    I would just use whatever you have. Even here with archery ranges inside 40 yds it doesn’t much matter. The deer react to movement and scent. I think all the camo is more to be stealthy with other hunters. Our not so distant ancestors wore blue jeans and wool coats of various colors.

As for optics I believe the Viper is a step above the Diamondback. Useful out west, here not that much. What about a lightweight spotting scope in 20x60x80 range?

Unless you are trying to hide in a highway work zone, does it really matter what camo you have on, you will still have traffic cone orange some where on your exterior.

ChrisD

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2013
    Conowingo
    Unless you are trying to hide in a highway work zone, does it really matter what camo you have on, you will still have traffic cone orange some where on your exterior.
    Aside from the original date of this thread being almost two years old and the trip is in the bag, actually we didn’t wear orange except when we were spread out looking for a downed animal so we could have a visual of the other guy on the ridge.
    Idaho doesn’t “require” orange while elk hunting.

The guides on our trip wore some high end brand of camo clothing. KUIU comes to mind if I remember correctly.

Fate

Mar 18, 2012
    Aside from the original date of this thread being almost two years old and the trip is in the bag, actually we didn’t wear orange except when we were spread out looking for a downed animal so we could have a visual of the other guy on the ridge.
    Idaho doesn’t “require” orange while elk hunting.

The guides on our trip wore some high end brand of camo clothing. KUIU comes to mind if I remember correctly.
    KUIU is good stuff.

Out here in Idaho, multicam is a fantastic pattern and color. Woodland and even chocolate chip are actually pretty good too depending on where you’re at.

Except for today. Today, white is the color you need to wear to disappear.

ChrisD

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2013
    Conowingo
    KUIU is good stuff.

Out here in Idaho, multicam is a fantastic pattern and color. Woodland and even chocolate chip are actually pretty good too depending on where you’re at.

Except for today. Today, white is the color you need to wear to disappear.
    I have a white suit, white gloves, and a white face covering I wear when we get snow. I’ve stalked to within 20 yards of deer in fresh snow with it on.

ChrisD

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2013
    Conowingo
    Glad you had success. Orofino is a bit more than an hour from my place. Your plaid camo looked like a local!
    We were hunting closer to Pierce, in the vicinity of the Dworshak Reservoir. The guide service was based in Orofino. We stayed overnight in Orofino when we got out there. Crossing into Idaho on Rt. 12 at night on snow covered roads was a bitch. When we hit the Montana/Idaho line, a road sign that was partially snow covered indicated steep grades and sharp curves next 9 - miles. The part that was snow covered was 99 miles. Took quite a while to navigate that part of the ride. We had an enclosed trailer in tow too.

Last edited:

Fate

Mar 18, 2012
    Haha. You are a madman. Lolo Pass at night in a snowstorm with a trailer. Glad it worked out and you didn’t end up in the river.

The drive up to Dworshak with a trailer was probably exciting too.

ChrisD

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2013
    Conowingo
    Haha. You are a madman. Lolo Pass at night in a snowstorm with a trailer. Glad it worked out and you didn’t end up in the river.

The drive up to Dworshak with a trailer was probably exciting too.
    Yes Lolo was dicey. I think there are still creases in the seat of my cousin’s truck from my asscrack holding onto it. However, When we got to the lower elevation coming into Orofino, we didn’t have much snow.
    Dodging free range cattle on the drive up from town was interesting. They were all over the place.

Park ranger

Ultimate Member
    Dec 6, 2015
    I have a white suit, white gloves, and a white face covering I wear when we get snow. I’ve stalked to within 20 yards of deer in fresh snow with it on.

Attachments

• IMG_1445.jpeg
      IMG_1445.jpeg
      262.3 KB · Views: 37

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads