• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ChrisD

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2013
    Conowingo
    My West Virginia family/hunting partners and I booked a combo elk/deer hunt in Idaho for October 2023. We will be in areas with a lot of pine trees. Any suggestions for Camo pattern clothing? I asked the outfitter during a brief conversation, and basically he said he likes a lot of green. I didn’t go too much into it with him at the time.
    I’m looking at true timber strata as one of the choices. According to the outfitter, shots on elk on average about 350-400 yards, deer can be about half that. The area has some mule deer, but more white tails. So at 350-400 I’m not sure how important any specific pattern will come into play. We are in the early stages of planning so I have with plenty of time to research and make a choice.

Also, looking for some input on binoculars. I’ve checked out the Vortex Diamondback and Viper, and Leupold Bx-2, and BX-4. All 10X42. Of those choices so far, I think the Viper gave me the sharpest clarity. The BX-2 was decent, and I didn’t see much if any improvement with the BX-4 over the BX-2. The Vortex OTOH, the Viper was superior to the Diamondback. I have a decent pair of 10x28 binos that I use for deer hunting in MD and WV. But glassing for an extended time, I think the 10x28 would be tough on my eyes. In conversation with the guide, it sounds like we will be doing a lot of glassing.

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    I would just use whatever you have. Even here with archery ranges inside 40 yds it doesn’t much matter. The deer react to movement and scent. I think all the camo is more to be stealthy with other hunters. Our not so distant ancestors wore blue jeans and wool coats of various colors.

As for optics I believe the Viper is a step above the Diamondback. Useful out west, here not that much. What about a lightweight spotting scope in 20x60x80 range?

CrabbyMcNab

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2009
    From experience, I didn’t rely on camo. I wore what I had and didn’t make it a priority. Wore flannel and Duluth cargo pants most of the time. Make sure you pack for extremes at both end of the spectrum. October in Idaho I wish I had warm weather gear during a pack out. You heat up real fast carrying one out. November in Wyoming we went from 60 to a foot of snow in a day. I pack my mountain boots for stability and my lite hikers when I plan on putting in the miles. I also bring two packs, one for the heavy loads (meat and camp) and a day pack.

Just like east coast, tactics matter more, play the wind. Once you smell an elk, you never forget it!

I like my 10x42, plenty for what we have hunted, dense timber and wide open.

What part of ID? We’ve been on the east, near the border of WY

camo556

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2021
    Investigate what the local predators wear that time of year (wolves, bears, whatever). If its good enough for them...

ChrisD

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2013
    Conowingo
    I would just use whatever you have. Even here with archery ranges inside 40 yds it doesn’t much matter. The deer react to movement and scent. I think all the camo is more to be stealthy with other hunters. Our not so distant ancestors wore blue jeans and wool coats of various colors.

As for optics I believe the Viper is a step above the Diamondback. Useful out west, here not that much. What about a lightweight spotting scope in 20x60x80 range?

Guide will have a spotting scope. I’ll be taking mine also, but I tend to think the binos will offer a better coverage for scanning an adjacent ridge. I think the guide would use the scope to judge something way off to see if it is worth trying a stalk. I also think the 10x42 would be sufficient to judge at 350-400 yards.

ChrisD

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2013
    Conowingo
    From experience, I didn’t rely on camo. I wore what I had and didn’t make it a priority. Wore flannel and Duluth cargo pants most of the time. Make sure you pack for extremes at both end of the spectrum. October in Idaho I wish I had warm weather gear during a pack out. You heat up real fast carrying one out. November in Wyoming we went from 60 to a foot of snow in a day. I pack my mountain boots for stability and my lite hikers when I plan on putting in the miles. I also bring two packs, one for the heavy loads (meat and camp) and a day pack.

Just like east coast, tactics matter more, play the wind. Once you smell an elk, you never forget it!

I like my 10x42, plenty for what we have hunted, dense timber and wide open.

What part of ID? We’ve been on the east, near the border of WY

The outfitter is based out of Orofino. I believe we will be hunting in the Clearwater area, sort of in the central/north area of the state. The area we are hunting is in the Pacific time zone. According to the outfitter, we will typically be in the 3,500-5,000 foot elevation. I hunted in Colorado about 22-23 years ago at 9-10,000 feet in October. That was real cold. It doesn’t sound as if the terrain in Idaho in as rough as what we did in Colorado.

Hibs

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2015
    Maryland
    I believe in what others have already stated. Pattern doesn’t matter that much. Just wear whatever Camo you have.

I have loads of multi-cam so that’s what I wear, blends in most everywhere except in the snow.

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    I don't think the pattern matters much for rifle hunting. Maybe for archery, but even then it's surprising what deer care about. I just stood thirty yards from my dad's backyard herd in cargo pants and a brown sweatshirt and they were bobbing heads trying to figure me out.

Smell is ten times more important in my experience. Scent control and wind.

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    Go on rokslide for optics advice. They're pretty low on both vortex and Leopold. Maven is pretty well rated in that price range.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    More important than camo is layers, including a water/wind proof outer shell. Nothing worse than trying to hunt when you're wet and cold.

SummitCnty

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2013
    Frederick County
    I wouldn’t spend the money on camo. Just wear neutral colors, tan, brown, grey, darker shades of green.

If you look at what a lot of the guys out west wear when they hunt it’s not camo.

Last edited:

camo556

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2021
    definitely spend the money on camo.

I'd like a case of brass 556 please. Preferably 62 grain hp, but I will take 68gr hp as well.

Edit: also, anything you can put on a form 4 is worth my wait. :D :D

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I wouldn’t spend the money on camo. Just wear neutral colors, tan, brown, grey, darker shades of green.

If you look at what a lot of the guys out west west when they hunt it’s not camo.

...unless they're sponsored by a clothing company. Then they wear it on TV.

:D

19smiller

Nov 11, 2021
    Just moved from Oregon this summer, walked up on plenty of elk and deer within 40 yards wearing jeans and flannel. They listen and smell more than look. If you’re going to be 300-400 yards out, you could wear a bunny suit and they wouldn’t care.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom