Well since I can't buy an AR15 anymore...

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ericoak

don't drop Aboma on me
    Feb 20, 2010
    Howard County
    Yesterday I went to visit my M16 for the first time. Its in 2A Sales purgatory for about the next year but it was still nice to finally see her. Overall she looked great and I was very happy. Soon she will be spraying lead!

In one of those odd coincidences in life, I happened to run into MDS member smdub who had emailed me asking me for more info about M16s. So he got to see it in person too!

I can already see this gun is not going to be a cheap date...

Get a 5.45 upper and a bunch of surplus while it is still relatively cheap!

Also, in light of the ATF's ruling allowing the 5.56 Sabre for the originally subgun caliber only Mac family, doesn't that bode well for an upper similiar to the MG34 uppers being made for the M16 that passes ATF Tech Branch tests?

BLACKTALON

Ammo is like food
    Aug 4, 2011
    severna park

Also, in light of the ATF's ruling allowing the 5.56 Sabre for the originally subgun caliber only Mac family, doesn't that bode well for an upper similiar to the MG34 uppers being made for the M16 that passes ATF Tech Branch tests?

the mg34 upper was approved then over night was a machine gun

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    We need to take three to six M-16's with Shrikes and mount them together in a circle and make a Red Jacket mini gun. Let's do it for the next TCA shoot. At least 3 of our members have Shrikes.

Yes, I don't think I will ever doing anything that Red Jacket did...

I am not in a hurry on any ammo right now. I think its all got room to come down some still. The 5.45 is not going anywhere soon.

the mg34 upper was approved then over night was a machine gun

I don't think Brian at BRP is really fighting the reversal. I don't see how its holding up either. I think he was not going to continue down that road much longer anyway with the 8mm drying up.

ericoak

don't drop Aboma on me
    Feb 20, 2010
    Howard County
    Yes, I don't think I will ever doing anything that Red Jacket did...

I am not in a hurry on any ammo right now. I think its all got room to come down some still. The 5.45 is not going anywhere soon.

I don't think Brian at BRP is really fighting the reversal. I don't see how its holding up either. I think he was not going to continue down that road much longer anyway with the 8mm drying up.

I thought he had a .308 verision also?

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    I decided O'Malley was correct, that semi auto fire is not sufficient in this day of age...

So yesterday the money went out for my next NFA Stamp! Its a Rock Island Armory Converted, Sendra M15A1. Thats basically a M16 for those who don't know. Its on a Form 3 already, so transfer to my dealer will be quick. Hopefully the eform 3 will speed it up even more.

Price is around 15x what it would be if there was no 86 MG ban. However its becoming clear that the AR and Mac are being the platform for all further MG development. This will give me both. This also fills the hole in my collection between SubMG fire and Watercooled beltfed full size rifle MG fire.

That said I am really not an AR15/M16 guy. Pre SB281 passing, I only owned one Bushmaster M4 Type AR. Now I have a Retro XM16E1 upper really to build with a semi retro lower. However the upper was done with a FA bolt so it can be used with this MG lower. Pictures to come in the rifle section when complete. I also have two more AR lowers (Spikes and Stag). So I am building my M16/AR15 family quick.

So once I recover from this mammoth expense, I will be looking for uppers. Not being an AR guy, I will likely need some help. I will likely start with a Shrike upper with a Saker Can. However after that I am very open. I have been thinking LWRC piston upper and some kind of 9mm Conversion. The only 22LR kit I would do is one that take the AM180 drums as I have a nice Mac 22LR conversion. Maybe I can even get sold on one of the 300 Blackout uppers... Anyway, I should have time as it will probably be around Chirstmas 2014 before I see the gun!

Nice looker. If you get a 9mm upper be sure to get a ramped bolt. Plenty of info about this on subguns and AR15.com. I've been hesitating to use mine for fear of egging my receiver. Also PM Chad about this issue.

rangerone314

Jan 8, 2012
    Harford County
    getting AR uppers for lowers bought Pre-Oct 2013

I bought complete AR lowers before the Oct 2013 MD law...

Am I constrained to buy only an HBAR upper to comply with the MD law, or does the fact that I bought the lowers pre-ban make that not an issue?

(I did look for the answer in other posts here, but I didn't not find that yet... there are a lot of posts...)

rangerone314

Jan 8, 2012
    Harford County
    Pre October 1st make it any configuration you want.
    Post 10/1/13 HBAR or pistol.

Thanks... I thought that was the case. I ordered 2 Stag Arms complete lowers late summer 2013 before I knew about the HBAR exception.

Not a huge hurry to get the uppers, since I already have a complete AR-15 & I wanted to get something in .308 first...

bobthefisher

Durka ninja
    Aug 18, 2010
    Definitely not where you are!
    There has been some rangling back and forth on this specific topic. But I believe MSP chimed in on the matter a while back, and said it was okay... however (caveat) their interpretations have been less then accurate sometimes. I wouldn't worry about it, as the way it looks in their registration database, is that those receivers were in your possession prior to Oct 1st. If they were registered post Oct 1st, but you have a purchase order pre Oct 1st, I would make sure to keep the purchase order somewhere safe, just in case.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    There has been some rangling back and forth on this specifically topic. But I believe MSP chimed in on the matter a while back, and said it was okay... however (caveat) their interpretations have been less then accurate sometimes. I wouldn't worry about it, as the way it looks in their registration database, is that those receivers were in your possession prior to Oct 1st. If it was registered post Oct 1st, but you have a purchase order pre Oct 1st, I would make sure to keep the purchase order somewhere safe, just in case.

MSP can give you a print out of all of the regulated firearms you own and when you bought them....

pitpawten

Ultimate Member
    Jan 28, 2013
    MSP can give you a print out of all of the regulated firearms you own and when you bought them....

Yeah, I've heard tell of people getting this list, but from where?

Is there a form you fill out to get this or just walk into the barracks and ask?

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    OP great pick up. Please post a video of that thang in action soon as you get it out to the range.

Still waiting... The Form 3 to my dealer took a little bit. Then MSP took forever. I mailed out the Form 4 to the ATF on May 22nd I think. So I will probably see it... Maybe a Christmas present? I guess it could be as early as the end of this month or as late as early next year... Got to love the NFA...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom