• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MDNavyVet

Mar 25, 2013
    PG County
    I went and read the White House webpage titled, "Now is the time". This page outlines exactly what the President wanted to accomplish regarding gun control. In the President's "Plan to Reduce Gun Violence" he clearly outlined the following related to "armor piercing ammunition":

- "Finish the job of getting armor piercing ammunition off the streets".

"It is already illegal to manufacture and import armor-piercing ammunition except for military or law enforcement use. But it is generally still not illegal to possess or transfer this dangerous ammunition. Congress should finish the job of protecting law enforcement and the public by banning the possession of armor-piercing ammunition by, and its transfer to, anyone other than the military and law enforcement."

If you can stomach reading the whole "plan":

http://www.whitehouse.gov/issues/preventing-gun-violence

Last edited:

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    The timing seems suspect in all regards. I'm sure banning the importation of russian ammo is just starving their economy...

armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's
    it has nothing to do with their economy. russian 7n6 is steel-core. someone makes a pistol in that caliber. therefore, it's considered steel-core handgun ammunition. which is a no-no.

jesus titty****ing christ the tinfoil ******** some of you guys come up with... :lol2:

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    it has nothing to do with their economy. russian 7n6 is steel-core. someone makes a pistol in that caliber. therefore, it's considered steel-core handgun ammunition. which is a no-no.

jesus titty****ing christ the tinfoil ******** some of you guys come up with... :lol2:

I forgot the sarcasm gif.
    lol

armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's
    BjpstC5IAAAukm5.jpg

AlpineDude67

Feb 17, 2013
    Wow, this is such BS.

I bet there is absolutely no difference in the "armor penetration" abilities of 7N6 over commercial 5.45. If anything it is probably worse because of the hollow air pocket in the tip. Didn't Russia get rid of the air pocket and then strengthen the penetrator to improve its performance in this area? It is a mild steel which is in there mainly for cost purposes not for armor piercing properties.

I assume both commercial and 7N6 will go through anything less than Type III body armor like it wasn't even there and are stopped cold by Type III or better. I'd bet that the 7N6 probably doesn't perform better than commercial ammo against cover materials like thick wood or cinder block either. It actually wouldn't surprise me if it performs worse than commercial against all kinds of obstructions because of that air pocket.

Sirex

Powered by natural gas
    Oct 30, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    I went and read the White House webpage titled, "Now is the time". This page outlines exactly what the President wanted to accomplish regarding gun control. In the President's "Plan to Reduce Gun Violence" he clearly outlined the following related to "armor piercing ammunition":

- "Finish the job of getting armor piercing ammunition off the streets".

"It is already illegal to manufacture and import armor-piercing ammunition except for military or law enforcement use. But it is generally still not illegal to possess or transfer this dangerous ammunition. Congress should finish the job of protecting law enforcement and the public by banning the possession of armor-piercing ammunition by, and its transfer to, anyone other than the military and law enforcement."

If you can stomach reading the whole "plan":

http://www.whitehouse.gov/issues/preventing-gun-violence
    Wow, now they want to ban possession? Depending on their interpretation of "armor piercing" I wonder if they know how much steel core Mosin ammo there is out there. I may have to apply for a job with the ATF so when the next ammo run starts, I can skim off some of the confiscations for testing and verification. For the children of course.

OnTarget

Ultimate Member
    Mar 29, 2009
    WV

OUCH!

tomandjerry00

Ultimate Member
    Apr 12, 2013
    Anyone else find it ironically humorous we are all bitching about a pistol in the rifle forum?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4095fanatic

Paramagic
    Dec 3, 2010
    Anyone else find it ironically humorous we are all bitching about a pistol in the rifle forum?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Now that you mention it, yes... but I think it belongs here. I can name at least a dozen people off the top of my head that own a rifle that shoots 5.45x39... have yet to meet a person that does (I'm sure they exist, I've just never seen one).

AlpineDude67

Feb 17, 2013
    Looking at the news today, I'm feeling pretty good about my decision to pick up a chunk of commercial 5.45. I don't have anything like a lifetime supply, but I could easily go a year or so without buying any more if I had to. Way more than I would normally have on hand.

I bought some Golden Tiger 7.62 at the same time. Feeling pretty good about that decision too. If Russia actually does invade Eastern Ukraine, how long do you think it will be before Russian-made 7.62 is banned for import as part of the inevitable trade embargo? I'd give it a few weeks, maybe.

I wouldn't go out and start panic buying 7.62 - it isn't like 5.45 where it all comes from just a few places, but you take away Wolf, Golden Tiger etc. what is that going to do to the prices for what remains?

armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's
    trade embargo? :lol2:

just like the trade embargo we had against the USSR from 1946-1991?

Not gonna happen. Prolly raise the shit out of tariffs, if anything.

AlpineDude67

Feb 17, 2013
    When it comes to this stuff - trade embargo and tariff basically mean the same thing. In other words:

Wolf 7.62x39 at $2 a round = No Wolf 7.62

But I am sure Obama, when thinking about what sorts of sanctions he wants to slap on Russia, will definitely make sure to protect us poor gun owners. After all, I hear the guy is a particularly big fan of the AK and wants to make sure we can get ammo for it cheaply. Or something. :innocent0

ericoak

don't drop Aboma on me
    Feb 20, 2010
    Howard County
    Did you guys see the letter from 80 Dem Congressmen asking the BATFE basically imploring them to ban as many imports as possible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom