• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MilsurpDan

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2012
    Frederick County
    Right after I picked up the Arisaka I walked over to another table that had an interesting rifle that reeked of wine, cigarettes and smelly cheese, so I immediately knew it had to be French. What I found was a 1940 vintage Pre-French surrender Mas 36 rifle. It's in immaculate condition with all matching numbers and looks like it was never even used (insert French surrender joke here). Needless to say I couldn't leave it so I forked over $225 and noticed he had a lever action rifle next to it. Turned out to be a Uberti made Winchester 1873 carbine copy in .45 Colt. Price- $150. I let my grandpa have this one as I had ran out of money. All in all a successful day.

Attachments

• DSCN2586.jpg
      DSCN2586.jpg
      53.9 KB · Views: 372
    • DSCN2589.jpg
      DSCN2589.jpg
      72.8 KB · Views: 363
    • DSCN2592.jpg
      DSCN2592.jpg
      60.1 KB · Views: 278
    • DSCN2593.jpg
      DSCN2593.jpg
      43.1 KB · Views: 278
    • DSCN2596.jpg
      DSCN2596.jpg
      60.1 KB · Views: 279
    • DSCN2603.jpg
      DSCN2603.jpg
      59 KB · Views: 276

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    That is an outstanding example and at a fantastic price. Easily $100 below market, probably more. I'm impressed.

MilsurpDan

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2012
    Frederick County
    Thanks guys, I'm astonished this piece stayed as nice as it is after so long. If only it could talk.

Mawkie, I assume the "Fevrier" stamping on the stock means that the rifle or stock was assembled in February 1940 correct?

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    SSsswwwwweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeetttttt!

I'm astonished this piece stayed as nice as it is after so long. If only it could talk.

It would probably say that the original owner was very careful to hide it well before he took off his uniform, changed into civvies, and started smiling and waving a German flag.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Thanks guys, I'm astonished this piece stayed as nice as it is after so long. If only it could talk.

Mawkie, I assume the "Fevrier" stamping on the stock means that the rifle or stock was assembled in February 1940 correct?

Yes, Février is French for February. She was built during the Phoney War period in 1940. This excellent example could be the cornerstone of any good French small arms collection. Remember, surviving pre-war MAS 36s like yours were never arsenal refurbished. Otherwise they would have the post war features like stamped bands, hooded front sight, etc. I've never seen a pre-war Mas 36 with import marks of any kind so I'm not sure how most came to be here in the US. I doubt they're bring backs as I've never seen duffle bag cuts. The MAS is very difficult to disassemble without special tools which most folk like me fabricate (Done to ensure only armorers would be able to take down the MAS beyond what was routine field maintenance). So I doubt the typical GI would be able to tear one of these apart to stash it into his duffle bag. It's why I scoop up nice examples of these whenever I can. Most folk don't know enough to differentiate between the common post war and rarer prewar versions. As you can see the prewar versions are very well built using all milled parts. Very much like the Springfield 1903 vs the 1903A3 in concept.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    SSsswwwwweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeetttttt!

I'm astonished this piece stayed as nice as it is after so long. If only it could talk.

It would probably say that the original owner was very careful to hide it well before he took off his uniform, changed into civvies, and started smiling and waving a German flag.

Or maybe it would say my Poilu fought to the end holding off the German forces around Dunkirk so that his brothers and British allies could escape to fight another day. Many a Tommie and Poilu fought and died together at Dunkirk, backs against the wall, until they had nothing left to fight with. Their sacrifice kept the British in the war until the US entered and tipped the tide. Lots of different stories of both bravery and cowardice to be told.

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    Or maybe it would say my Poilu fought to the end holding off the German forces around Dunkirk so that his brothers and British allies could escape to fight another day. Many a Tommie and Poilu fought and died together at Dunkirk, backs against the wall, until they had nothing left to fight with. Their sacrifice kept the British in the war until the US entered and tipped the tide. Lots of different stories of both bravery and cowardice to be told.

You are right, of course, Mawkie. I just had to go with the stereotype for this one because it looks so nice!

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    No worries. As an avid collector of French small arms I get to hear much worse. It got so bad over on the French Forum at Gun Boards that they banned language offensive to our French allies. I'm very libertarian and usually don't agree with censoring but it was very divisive and got to the point where many outstanding French small arms experts were leaving the forum. Something had to be done to keep the peace and the collective expertise.
    My experience with pre war MAS 36 examples is that they tend to be in vg condition on the whole. Probably because production was just ramping up when the Battle of France started so many units went into battle with Lebels and Berthiers as there weren't enough of these new rifles available. So they weren't in the field for long before hostilities ended. Then they were lightly used by the Vichy govt and occasionally by occupying German troops.

MilsurpDan

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2012
    Frederick County
    Sometimes the anti-French sentiment works out to our advantage. The seller had it priced low "because it was French and nobody collects that stuff". He immediately jumped on my offer of $225 which made me sad I didn't offer less. When I carried it around several people commented about how the bayonet tube was used for "flipping around and holding up white flags" and how pitiful french arms are. I just smiled and walked away.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Sometimes the anti-French sentiment works out to our advantage. The seller had it priced low "because it was French and nobody collects that stuff". He immediately jumped on my offer of $225 which made me sad I didn't offer less. When I carried it around several people commented about how the bayonet tube was used for "flipping around and holding up white flags" and how pitiful french arms are. I just smiled and walked away.

You're now a member of a tiny secret organization: French Club (think Fight Club). Your signal decoder ring is in the mail. That's the up side to anti French attitudes. Leaves lots more for us at awesome prices. Works the same for other C&Rs like the Ross (you all know what a sucker I am for a Ross). Don't shoot that Ross kid, It'll take your eye out! Smiling all the way to the bank...

KSFrostie

Ultimate Member
    Mar 29, 2013
    Carroll County

At least it has a good home now

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom