• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 12a10

Apr 6, 2009
    AA County Crownsville
    I amk thinking about buying a 223 bolt action rifle as companion for my M16A1 and M4 semi-auto "clones".

Bass Pro has a Weatherby Vanguard in 223--24 in bbl, composite stock on sale for $399. Anyone have any real-world experience with these? Is this a good price?

Years ago Weatherby was a high quality premium brand but now it looks like it
    is a fancy name on an inexpensive import. Does anyone know where these are made?

jr88

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 7, 2011
    Free?? State
    I believe the Vanguards are made in Japan by Howa. While they are not high end, I have
    owned the Howas and fired a newer vanguard and found them to be very good rifles, especially considering the price. My Howa 1500 out shoots a couple of stock 700's I have. I think the factory offers a 1.5 moa guarantee @100 yards, and the trigger is pretty nice
    out the box. I think most companies are offering lower price point models to compete these days.

04RWon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    Ive got an older .300winmag weatherby vanguard, incredibly accurate, smooth, nice rifle to shoot. From what i saw on their site, its not exactly cheap for a new one.

Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    The Vanguards are made by Howa (Japan) - the higherline Weatherby's (Accumarks etc) are not.

Earlier model Vanguards had a recall years ago- but if its a new gun - probably not an issue. I believe the issue was with the actual Bolts.

For a few hundred bucks more you could get a Rem 700 VTS in .223. I would compare models before you buy and see what fits your needs more. The .223 in bolts are great shooters!

04RWon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    The Vanguards are made by Howa (Japan) - the higherline Weatherby's (Accumarks etc) are not.

Earlier model Vanguards had a recall years ago- but if its a new gun - probably not an issue. I believe the issue was with the actual Bolts.

For a few hundred bucks more you could get a Rem 700 VTS in .223. I would compare models before you buy and see what fits your needs more. The .223 in bolts are great shooters!

Yeah, mine was in that recall. Just sent the bolt back and they did whatever. It was back within 2-3 weeks. I think the made the safe and fire bigger and colored it in. I dont think they fixed the ejecting problem though. It doesnt fling brass, it just kinda falls out if that. Havent shot since getting bolt back though.

mancheechee

Daily Trigger
    Jul 22, 2010
    Frederick
    I bought a weatherby vanguard in 22-250 but in a heavy barrel few months ago.
    It is very accurate with factory ammo. Even better with custom loads.
    The trigger pull is excellent.
    I'd recommend a weatherby.
    My uncle has two of them .308 and .22-250. Took .308 along with his Winchester 70 .338win mag to Africa. He has 40+ guns and he chose those two. That should speak for his confidence in them.

WSM

Rugeritis
    Oct 8, 2009
    Lancaster, PA
    Never heard anything bad about them and I know more than a few guys who have been pleased with their Vanguards. They are comparable to Savage for being out of the box shooters.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    believe all the weatherby's come with 1.5moa guarantee. and they also have some 'sub-moa' guns with a 1 moa guarantee.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads

Top Bottom