• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • compmoto

pissed off conservative
    Jan 18, 2010
    southern Maryland
    an associate has been pulled over for a traffic violation, and has a holstered Glock in the glovebox. He goes to court, has the traffic violation nixxed, but is guilty on the wear/carry issue... His lawyer says the state's attorney is willing to have the judge change the "guilty" to a "PBJ" ... will my friend still be legally able to legally purchase regulated firearms in MD. under this scenario ? Or even if it is not changed ? This occured in St.Mary's county..
    this one of my first posts here, I apologize if it isn't in the correct forum ... also thanx for any insight offered on the matter...

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    He will have to disclose it the rest of his life, likely causing delays in NICS checks.

Everything is (for the most part) based on what penalties the charge could have brought, I.e: over 1 year.

He's prolly screwed.

gamer_jim

Podcaster
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hanover, PA
    1: did your friend have a carry permit for md?

2: was the gun unloaded?

Have your friend hire an attorney and do not speak anymore on this matter.

Edited to add:

Someone smarter than I can actually read your question and answer, from my understanding PBJ means it did not occur and after probation is full filled the person can get the offense expunged. I am not a lawyer but I have been drinking.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Andras

Aug 12, 2008
    Charles Co.
    Back in 93 I got pulled for speeding going to a friends birthday party to do some shooting with a holstered revolver (unloaded) locked in my glovebox, the MSP trooper went 'meh' and gave me the speeding ticket, and we went on our separate ways.

If he's on probation, he might have to surrender all his firearms.

compmoto

pissed off conservative
    Jan 18, 2010
    southern Maryland
    info

all good info.. please ad on !. ..links to MD.law are welcome
    the gun held a loaded mag. but not a chambered round. No probation, or outstandings. He was Legally registered to the Glock .45.. he is also a buisinessman with RE, and automotive/cycle monetary transactions..
    Lawyer is not gun savy.. but also not anti 2A
    Knucklehead has fulfilled the terms the judge set forth completely, I'm told ..

Dogabutila

Ultimate Member
    Dec 21, 2010
    So when I drive I always put my registration and insurance stuff in the sun visor. Never have to open the glove box.

Andras

Aug 12, 2008
    Charles Co.
    all good info.. please ad on !. ..links to MD.law are welcome
    the gun held a loaded mag. but not a chambered round. No probation, or outstandings. He was Legally registered to the Glock .45.. he is also a buisinessman with RE, and automotive/cycle monetary transactions..
    Lawyer is not gun savy.. but also not anti 2A
    Knucklehead has fulfilled the terms the judge set forth completely, I'm told ..

Loaded mag in the gun will do it. You can have 37 loaded mags under your seat, but not one in the gun.

So when I drive I always put my registration and insurance stuff in the sun visor. Never have to open the glove box.

I don't leave anything with my address in my car after it's been broken into 3 times. I keep the car stuff in my wallet.

Dogabutila

Ultimate Member
    Dec 21, 2010
    I try not to have anything I would have to give to a police officer anywhere but the sun visor. If I reach for my wallet, I'm also reaching towards my pocketknife. I feel like that's a bad idea if the goal is to put the officer at ease as much as possible.

INMY01TA

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2008
    Your friend would also have to argue he was on his way to or from a shooting event or gunsmith. (Or a dog obedience course lol)

spclopr8tr

Whatchalookinat?
    Apr 20, 2013
    TN
    He needs a lawyer.

He needs a GOOD lawyer who is gun savvy. But carrying a pistol in his glove box without a CCL and with a loaded magazine is just begging for trouble. Sounds like your friend was willing to risk getting caught and that risk became a real issue. That should be a lesson to anyone who might think it can never happen to them.

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    Until his PBJ is completed without violation and everything is expunged which he will have to file for (it is not automatic) he will likely be without 2A rights.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    After the trial, people usually complain about one of 2 things, either how much their lawyer cost, or how that conviction will screw up their life, better the former than the latter.

Dogabutila

Ultimate Member
    Dec 21, 2010
    Better idea is don't put anything in your glove box that's gonna get you arrested.

Don't have anything in my glove box that would get me arrested. But if that's the only place (mini cooper) that's safe from search, why would I open it for a visual search for no reason?

There's the whole, nothing to hide // fear issue there.

Alutacon

Desert Storm
    May 22, 2013
    Bowie
    Don't have anything in my glove box that would get me arrested. But if that's the only place (mini cooper) that's safe from search, why would I open it for a visual search for no reason?

There's the whole, nothing to hide // fear issue there.

I fear I have nothing to hide, and so i keep my nothing well hidden;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Noha

Latest threads

Top Bottom