• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • scottyfz6

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2018
    Yes it is, you can carry in 98% of maryland, just avoid schools and gov buildings.

edit not a definitive list but close enough

BurkeM

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2014
    Baltimore
    Is it even worth it anymore to get a Maryland wear and carry permit?
    Yes.

Just do it.

And join MSI, to protect your rights.

Where are Firearms Prohibited?​

Restriction on the wear, carry and transport of handguns and firearms in certain places appear throughout Maryland law and regulations. Below are statutes and regulations detailing the handgun and firearm restrictions. This list should not be considered all-inclusive.
    1. On school property (CR 4-102)

2. Within 1,000 feet of a demonstration in a public place after a law enforcement officer advises that a demonstration is occurring at the public place and orders the person to leave the demonstration area until the person disposes of the firearm (CR 4-208)

3. In legislative buildings (SG 2-1702)

4. Aboard aircraft (TR 5-1008)

5. In lodging establishments where the innkeeper reasonably believes individuals possess property that may be dangerous to other individuals, such as firearms or explosives (BR 15-203)

6. On dredge boats, other than two 10 gauge shotguns (NR 4-1013)

7. In or around State-owned public buildings and grounds (COMAR 04.05.01.03)

8. On Chesapeake Forest Lands (except for hunting and target shooting as permitted) (COMAR 08.01.07.14)

9. In State Forests (except for hunting and target shooting as permitted) (COMAR 08.07.01.04)

10. In State Parks (except for hunting and target shooting as permitted) (COMAR 08.07.06.04)

11. In State Highway Rest Areas, firearms may not be displayed or discharged (COMAR 11.04.07.12)

12. In community adult rehabilitation centers (COMAR 12.02.03.10)

13. In child care centers, except for small centers located in residences, firearms may not be kept on the premises (COMAR 13A.16.10.04)

Effective October 1, 2023, Senate Bill 1 adds the following areas where firearms are prohibited:​

1. A person may not wear, carry, or transport a firearm in an area for children or vulnerable individuals.
      • a preschool or prekindergarten facility or the grounds of the facility;
      • a private primary or secondary school or the grounds of the school; or
      • a health care facility, as defined in § 15–10B–01(g)(1), (2), (3), and (4) of the Insurance Article.
    2. A person may not wear, carry, or transport a firearm in a government or public infrastructure area.
      • A government or public infrastructure area, owned or leased by a unit of state or local
        government, must display a clear and conspicuous sign at the main entrance of the building, or the part of a building that is owned or leased by the unit of state or local government indicating that it is not permissible to wear, carry, or transport a firearm in the building or that part of the building. (CR 4-111(D)(2))
      • "Government or public infrastructure area” means:
        • a building or any part of a building owned or leased by a unit of state of local government;
        • a building of a public or private institution of higher education, as defined in § 10–101 of the Education Article;
        • a location that is currently being used as a polling place in accordance with Title 10 of the Election Law Article or for canvassing ballots in accordance with Title 11 of the Election Law Article;
        • an electric plant or electric storage facility, as defined in § 1–101 of the Public Utilities Article;
        • a gas plant, as defined in § 1–101 of the Public Utilities Article; or
        • a nuclear power plant facility
    3. A person may not wear, carry, or transport a firearm in a special purpose area. (CR 4-111(E))
      • "Special Purpose Area" means:
        • a location licensed to sell or dispense alcohol or cannabis for on-site consumption;
        • a stadium;
        • a museum;
        • a racetrack; or
        • a video lottery facility, as defined in §9-1A-01 of the State Government Article.
    4. A person wearing, carrying, or transporting a firearm may not enter or trespass in the dwelling of another unless the owner or the owner's agent has given express permission, either to the person or to the public generally, to wear, carry, or transport a firearm inside the dwelling. (CR 6-411(C)
    5. A person wearing, carrying, or transporting a firearm may not:
      • enter or trespass on property unless the owner or the owner's agent has posted a clear and conspicuous sign indicating that it is permissible to wear, carry, or transport a firearm on the property; or
      • enter or trespass on property unless the owner or the owner's agent has given the person express permission to wear, carry, or transport a firearm on the property. (CR 6-411(D))
    For a location that is not owned by, leased by, or otherwise under the control of the state or a political subdivision of the state, the prohibitions listed above in items 1, 2 and 3 (effective October 1, 2023), do not apply to:
    • The owner or lessee of the location; or
    • A person who is authorized by the owner or lessee of the location to wear, carry, or transport a firearm at the location for the purpose of:
      • employment as a security guard licensed under Title 19 of the Business Occupations Article; or
      • protecting any individual or property at the location with an express agreement between the parties, remuneration, or compensation. (CR 4-111(B)(9))
    The prohibitions listed above in items 1, 2 and 3 (effective October 1, 2023), do not apply to a firearm that is carried or transported in a motor vehicle if the firearm is:
    • locked in a container; or
    • a handgun worn, carried, or transported in compliance with any limitations imposed under § 5–307 of the Public Safety Article, by a person to whom a permit to wear, carry, or transport the handgun has been issued under Title 5, Subtitle 3 of the Public Safety Article (CR 4-111(B)(11))

On September 29, 2023, the United States District Court for the District of Maryland has ordered a preliminary injunction and has enjoined enforcement of the laws restricting the carrying of firearms in:​

1. locations selling alcohol, to be codified as Md. Code Ann., (2023), Crim. Law § 4-111(a)(2)(8)(i);
    2. private buildings or property without the owner’s consent, to be codified at Md. Code Ann., (2023), Crim. Law § 6-411; and
    3. within 1,000 feet of a public demonstration, Md. Code Ann., (2016), Crim. Law § 4-208.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I don't have my cheat sheet handy , but it's a little more than that .

But definitely Yes , it's worthwhile, do it .

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    Is it even worth it anymore to get a Maryland wear and carry permit?
    If you have to ask and don’t have reasons already do you really need it? Not trying to be a smart ass but just saying it’s really a personal decision and commitment and you shouldn’t care what anyone else thinks.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Better to have it and not need it than need it and have to start he process from scratch and wait however long it is then taking for training, processing, background checks, approval, and the US Mail before you can actually use it.

DustyDave

Jul 1, 2020
    Finksburg, MD
    If you have to ask and don’t have reasons already do you really need it? Not trying to be a smart ass but just saying it’s really a personal decision and commitment and you shouldn’t care what anyone else thinks.
    Obviously, I must not “need” it — since I’ve had to live without it in this state for 68 years. The reason I asked is because of the bill passed last October by Governor waste more. It seems so restricted that it almost seems not worth it to jump through the hoops you have to jump through to get it. But since I am able to get it, I will.

308Scout

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County
    Obviously, I must not “need” it — since I’ve had to live without it in this state for 68 years. The reason I asked is because of the bill passed last October by Governor waste more. It seems so restricted that it almost seems not worth it to jump through the hoops you have to jump through to get it. But since I am able to get it, I will.
    Fortunately, The worst portions from SB1 as passed and signed were enjoined from enforcement just before they were to take effect on October 1.

Enforcement of SB 1 Preliminarily Enjoined In Part: On September 29, 2023, a federal district court enjoined enforcement of (1) that part of SB1 that presumptively banned carry by permit holders in privately owned buildings otherwise open to the public (2) that part of SB1 that flatly banned (except by the owner) firearms in locations licensed to serve alcohol for on-site consumption, and (3) that part of existing State law that banned firearms within 1000 feet of a demonstration. The Court's opinion can be found HERE and the Court's order can be found HERE.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    That was my point. The most onerous parts are not being enforced, hence my comment

The only real difference for those that carry daily is concealment

melbill2

Feb 24, 2009
    Ellicott City
    My wife and I took the 2 day class 1 year ago last Nov. as an anniversary present to each other (our 34th). I'M 64 YRS old and rarely carry but am glad I have it. Will renew when the time comes. We also got our PA. Permits.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom