• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Personally I was never worried, just heard from others it was a concern BGOS type thing.
    Oh, I have always been stymied by that. My weekend activities usually involve firearms, so I usually have firearms. Since I store them in the trunk and I don't answer questions from LEO, I never worried.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    Eventually , the marketplace will settle down , and evolve into multiple products , at multiple price points . But not on a large scale until the initial rush gets thru

This.

Right now we just need to get as many people licensed as possible so it gets harder for the politicos to ignore us. In states like Utah and Alabama where 20% of the population have permits, nobody will dismiss this as some niche or extremist phenomenon.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Fella’s gun might something to do with that too. I personally think the slide release lever method is way easier on any of my 1911s than my Glock
    Extended release on your Glock? Just curious. I don’t have a 1911, yet, but have shot a few. They’ve been universally pretty good. I also think the factory extended release on my Glocks are pretty good too. The factory standard size though sucks.

Not sure on the micro Glocks as I haven’t handled one (I do have a 19, 17, 34, 21, and a 21L/SF is in my near future. All have factory extended).

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Those aren't meant to be "releases" on the Glocks. That's why they are so flush to the pistol. But there has to be something mechanical that locks the slide back, and that's it.
    Something about some old Austrian/German mantra with racking the slide instead of using a release. So they just kept with it. That's what I heard anyway.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I think people having permits now alleviates the BGOS firearm transport nightmare. Thus allowing them the relaxation to be able to go to more training.
    That’s half the reason I am getting my permit. Less the anxiety and more that what I have to abide by is massively less strict. I can run an errand to or from the range and not worry I might go to jail. Some day once sensitive places gets cleaned up I can carry camping and hiking.

I don’t have no interest in CCW, but it is very likely to be something that would be rare and unlikely for me.

Honestly another reason is, unlikely as it is I would need to, disaster/unrest and I can’t stay at home? Yeah, I don’t want to be in a position that I can’t legally carry a handgun with me when I leave. Not packing up the whole collection, ammo, reloading supplies, etc as I don’t have a 3/4 truck rated for that kind of payload. Or even taking all the guns. But I also don’t want to be in a position where I might get arrested for carrying or my only option is a couple of long guns…which also can’t be loaded in a vehicle in this stupid state.

Or hell, I just want to take a handgun or two over to a friends to compare and contrast or show it to them. I’d rather not risk jail for that.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Those aren't meant to be "releases" on the Glocks. That's why they are so flush to the pistol. But there has to be something mechanical that locks the slide back, and that's it.
    Something about some old Austrian/German mantra with racking the slide instead of using a release. So they just kept with it. That's what I heard anyway.
    Makes some sense to me. I don’t use it very often, but it is what I’d use in a hurry probably and might be my only option if I am hurt.

usa259

Mar 11, 2015
    No, they had a couple instructors to oversee all 10 lanes. It went very smoothly, good instructions on what to do etc. I shot at the night time session which was for experienced shooters. A morning session was available for shooters with or without experience. They may have had more instructors available in the morning. We got though 4 or 5 groups of 10 shooters in a little over an hour. As efficient as it could be. Probably half the class shot in the evening session.
    I shot Thursday evening as, well. Instruction was fine.

Feb 28, 2013
    Extended release on your Glock? Just curious. I don’t have a 1911, yet, but have shot a few. They’ve been universally pretty good. I also think the factory extended release on my Glocks are pretty good too. The factory standard size though sucks.

Not sure on the micro Glocks as I haven’t handled one (I do have a 19, 17, 34, 21, and a 21L/SF is in my near future. All have factory extended).
    I think not...
    37395ED7-FAAC-47E9-B98F-B6BAE67F5D26.jpeg

Overboost44

6th gear
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 10, 2013
    Kent Island
    I read of these bad experiences and I am even more happy with my class.

Really a fine job done by Evan Eichler at Eastern Shore Performance Center on Kent Island. 14 people in the class and I believe he won't take more than 16. Need to confirm that. On day 1 it was classroom training on laws, regs and fundamentals and this was very good. I have the Utah and it is good to be reminded of the responsibility one has with carrying. Day 2 was at the range and he had 2 helpers. Each of them took 2-4 people at a time and they watched every move you made so you learned and more importantly, they were there if you screwed up.

SPRAY ALLDAY

Oct 22, 2021
    So I took a wear and carry course and the classroom was more of a "So you've never held a gun before, let us teach you the basics of pistols".
    Apparently its a HQL and wear and carry class. I had to show the 3 people next to me how to load a magazine. Now I am all for teaching people about firearms and how to handle them properly, but a wear and carry class is not that place. I can't wait until the range portion next class.
    The really sad part is the fact that this is a highly respectable firearms training company. All I will say is it's on the Eastern Shore. If you are over here and want to make sure you don't go there message me privately.

Has anyone else's wear and carry class been like this? I feel like I got jipped on some training, especially for the price I shelled out.
    When I took my course. I knew more than the instructor. Smh. It’s really sad. For all they put you through and the price

A7X8562

May 25, 2022
    Moco
    So I took a wear and carry course and the classroom was more of a "So you've never held a gun before, let us teach you the basics of pistols".
    Apparently its a HQL and wear and carry class. I had to show the 3 people next to me how to load a magazine. Now I am all for teaching people about firearms and how to handle them properly, but a wear and carry class is not that place. I can't wait until the range portion next class.
    The really sad part is the fact that this is a highly respectable firearms training company. All I will say is it's on the Eastern Shore. If you are over here and want to make sure you don't go there message me privately.

Has anyone else's wear and carry class been like this? I feel like I got jipped on some training, especially for the price I shelled out.
    As a QHIC instructor for MD. I’ll say that you should definitely except basic pistol material in a W&C course. We have students with a wide range of skill level and experience taking the course. Your firearms aptitude might higher than your peers so I’d suggest to see the instruction as a refresher. “Complacency Kills” couldn’t be more true when we’re taking firearms. That being said, not all W&C are created equal.

Stay safe.

Bananas79

Apr 11, 2021
    I have this same fear... Im hoping to take a class where I actually learn something -- I want a class focused on carrying and what that means... I have been around firearms since I was eight... but I have never carried, never had to draw, nor considered the legal aspects or mental skills necessary for this responsibility... that is what Im hoping to learn in my CCW class

Michael562

Dec 6, 2017
    Mr. Ed. I totally agree with what you said. I have gone to MSAR for every class I have taken over the years and have always had "Mo" as the instructor. I just finished my 16 hour CCW course this past weekend and yes, we did have newcomers to the handgun world in there, but Mo did the same as he always does. He taught and instructed them not only the rules and regs, but how to handle, load and unload a firearm. Before shooting on the second day, we all had to show that we could do it as well. One woman had never even held a firearm before and he had the utmost patience in instructing her and making her more comfortable in all those aspects. We were all excited for her when she passed the qualifying shoot on the range and received her certificate. Not only is MSAR cheaper than most around the area, they do it right. As you stated, it is an all inclusive class. MD/DC/VA CCW and MD HQL, and many there appreciated that. Best of all was that Mo made sure that we knew all of the different state requirements and justifications and made it clear to always check the state and local government laws before assuming that everyone is the same. Not all counties, cities and towns are the same.
    FWIW the best class was a combined MD/VA/DC class at MSAR.

Pickle

Jan 21, 2021

Yeah, that is kind of the point of that course. Its the same in all the states that have similar training requirements. so not really on that company, that' what they have to teach. They want to make sure if you are want to buy or carry, that you have a basic understanding of a gun and wont accidently shoot yourself or worse. It's dumb, I know, but I do like the fact that people who didn't grow up around guns, unlike us, are getting some kind of here's how to handle a gun. This is also why veterans are not required to take that course cuz well we've been through lots of gun handling training and then some lol.

From the sounds of it you might enjoy USCCA defense training classes or even those offered by the NRA. They are a lot of fun and some good information about how to react and best courses of action.

gcwood

Continental Soldier
    Jun 26, 2013

Heck the first 8 hours is the NRA Basic Pistol Course. I took it in 1998 and still have my certificate but they insist I take it again. Typical MD.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Heck the first 8 hours is the NRA Basic Pistol Course. I took it in 1998 and still have my certificate but they insist I take it again. Typical MD.
    If your first eight hours was the NRA Basic Pistol course you are not getting the correct instruction. NRA Basic Pistol should probably be around three hours of the first day not all day. The state police have a required curriculum which it is obvious in this thread many instructors are not following.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    alfontso

Latest threads

Top Bottom