We need to do more in reaching minorities!

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • woodstock

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jun 28, 2009
    As everyone else, I was pleased to see the turnout that we had, but was disappointed that the minority population who is involved in the shooting sports did not turnout.

Is it because we aren't reaching out to this segment of our population? I know many blacks who are supportive of our second amendment, but for some reason, think they have no place or say in this effort.

THIS isn't just a white concern, it is shared beyond color, so reach out. Connect, inform and reinforce your words with FACTS as to what is going on with the government, who some, may have voted for.

Please reach out, it is the only way we are going to get the much needed support and numbers we need.

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    I agree. We need to get more minorities engaged.

I sometimes question if using examples like "Rosa Parks didn't need to sit at the front of the bus" help or hurt.

We need to focus on how self defense can turn a gang ridden cesspool into a decent community.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I sometimes question if using examples like "Rosa Parks didn't need to sit at the front of the bus" help or hurt.

That's a tough one, and it is probably listener specific. I would depend heavily on whether the listener is aware that the 2A is a Civil Right.

K-Romulus

Suburban Commando
    Mar 15, 2007
    NE MoCO
    A lot of folks work in jobs where they cannot get time off. Maybe a liaison with the 10thCav Gun Club would help. This may be an in with the demographic.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

EL1227

R.I.P.
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 14, 2010
    I'll have to say that it's gotten better ... still not good, but improving.

At the rally I was passing out the "Guns Save Lives" stickers and I personally pasted them on the coats and jackets of a large number of persons of color, whether African American, Asian, and even a couple Latinos ... and there were an even larger number of women asking for a sticker. There were a few other MSI staffers who had the same experience. Maybe they should chime in here also.

MSI also helped coordinate Kenn Blanchard to speak at the rally and testify at the hearing.

Outreach is everyone's responsibility. Talk to your minority co-workers, your neighbors, your friends. 2A is an 'ice breaker' of sorts, and you'll find out where someone stands right away. If they are Pro 2A, invite them to come to the next Annapolis event, tentatively on March 6th. Tell them that their voice is important because by not being there, they are viewed as anti 2A by the politicos just by the nature of their ethnicity.

Cmoney

Nov 1, 2012
    It helps not to tokenize people. We need more of everybody, if we figure out how to get another 500 people at the next rally, some of them will be people of color.

hilpala

Dec 16, 2011
    Ft Washington, MD
    As a minority, I have done a lot of outreach, speeches, emails and even range time to counteract this problem and find it quite interesting how trusting a lot of people are of big bro working things out for "the good". The faith in the system isn't as definite and the effort in works to correct the issues isn't as absolute among about 50%+ of the folks I've encountered. This is not to speak to stereotypes but I believe some feel their voice won't be counted or their contributions aren't as valued.

I own firearms, all legally as I spent countless summer time in the south, and I'm an upstanding citizen that contributes. My dad taught me that even in less favorable systems/situations you get out what you put in. I won't give up on those who are inactive but some don't know that faith without works equals death. Can't just wish and hope things work in your favor...roll up the sleeves and get busy!

AliasNeo07

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2009
    MD
    As everyone else, I was pleased to see the turnout that we had, but was disappointed that the minority population who is involved in the shooting sports did not turnout.

Is it because we aren't reaching out to this segment of our population? I know many blacks who are supportive of our second amendment, but for some reason, think they have no place or say in this effort.

THIS isn't just a white concern, it is shared beyond color, so reach out. Connect, inform and reinforce your words with FACTS as to what is going on with the government, who some, may have voted for.

Please reach out, it is the only way we are going to get the much needed support and numbers we need.

:thumbsup:

[

I admit I laughed out loud when I heard that yesterday. No, I don't think it helps. No offense to whoever said it.

gungate

NRA Patron Member
    Apr 5, 2012
    Damascus. MD
    I am friends with a few intelligent, well-educated blacks. In all cases, they will vote for the Democratic candidate regardless of platform and regardless of their own situation. My one co-worker 100% believes that to vote any way other then Democrat would make him a racist. He frequently says that the Republican party is openly racist against blacks. I am not sure how to counter this level of wanton ignorance.

He owns no guns and was shocked an appalled that I had a "tactical" shotgun (a regular old 870 with a screw in door-knob blaster type attachment). He keeps asking me why in the world should I be allowed to own that.

There are plenty of good, convincing arguments why blacks should not be voting Democrat. However, most people (white included) get their information from the MSM. The MSM would NEVER run any stories on how blacks fair considerably better under a conservative political system. So ignorance remains.

netspec

Sep 30, 2008
    Randallstown, MD
    A lot of folks work in jobs where they cannot get time off. Maybe a liaison with the 10thCav Gun Club would help. This may be an in with the demographic.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

We had a dozen or so members there yesterday. I spent this morning talking to my co-workers (Pro 2A and anti) of the importance of these hearings. I hope come March, our numbers will be greater.

TNTBMXer

Apr 12, 2010
    We all need to reach out, especially to women. We all know that the cosmetic features of certain firearms greatly improve the ability of women in particular to adequately defend themselves. In terms of the proposed handgun requirements, who would they hurt most? Guys on here who own handguns already, or women who may someday need to purchase that first handgun in a timely fashion (7 days is already restrictive) to defend themselves from an abusive spouse or ex boyfriend? Would they want to restrict the ability of their daughters to defend themselves in the future? We heard testimony addressing both of these points yesterday, but we need to hear many more women speak on this.

I've tried to point out that prior gun control acts at the Federal level have been tainted by race:

Sullivan Act (NY) and the NFA of 1934 - anti-Italian, anti-immigrant
    Switchblade Knife Act of 1958 - anti- Puerto Rican
    Gun Control Act of 1968 - anti-black
    Assault Weapons Ban of 1994 - anti-angry white male

To really get them going, suggest that the founders of the modern gun rights movement were Huey Newton and Bobby Seale. For those of you too young to know, they were the "Old" Black Panthers.

Cmoney

Nov 1, 2012
    Also, when it comes to talking about historical support for gun ownership during the civil rights movement, beware. Many of the people fighting against institutional racism in the 20s-70s were NOT conservatives. Of course, this does not mean they were not pro-gun ownership (and eloquently so), but you should be prepared to grapple with the fact that people like Ronald Reagan supported gun control when it was black people arguing for their gun rights.

Also check out Robert Williams, who was expelled from the NAACP for advocating self-defense under the 2nd amendment. But he was no right winger, he bounced to Cuba and China when the state wanted to arrest him on trumped up charges. And of course, there is also Malcolm X, the original Black Panther Party for Self Defense, and the Deacons for Defense and Justice.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    I almost fell out of my seat yesterday when the Pro SB281 folks put up a guy from the Jewish Council of something or another. Why on earth would any Jewish person want to give up their guns? Why would an African American person want to give up their gun rights? For the life of me, I can't understand it. A friend called my cell and was trying to find me at the rally yesterday. Jokingly I said, "I'm over here, next to the middle aged white guy."

deesly1

Nov 16, 2011
    Hello All: As an Africian American, I know for a fact there are alot of us in the shooting community. The public has a stereotype of the average shooter that could not be further from the truth. I was not able to make this really because I was sick the week prior and missed work. I am a contractor and if I don't work I do not get paid. I will be at the March 5th Rally. I believe that this movement is NO different than any racial movement in the 60's. It is a civil rights movement and they are equally important. I must admit, when I first starting in the Maryland shooting community, I was a bit skeptical about the type of people I would encounter. I then though to myself I don't want anyone to treat me any different, so I kept and open mind. Since firearms/guns have a different connotation to the typical minority, minorities believe that if guns did not exist in there neighborhood gun related crimes would not happen. We as minority shooters have been trying to change the meaning of firearms/guns, however many of these people have seen first hand the aftermath of shootings and murders at a higher rate than those who do not live in higher urban areas. It has taken generation to develope this stigma and it will take generations to remove it. Just keep pressing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom