• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • giggity

Nov 8, 2013
    I'm hoping that Hogan raddles the cage and does it vigorously! That's what the people want... they want change! I'm not sure if he would be a 2 term governor because he's already meeting resistance when it comes to cutting taxes. He wants to cut taxes but the dems are pissed that we have a republican governor so they're doing what they can to make him fail. It doesn't matter if he is the best man for the job, they're pissed because he's not "one of them". His idea of bipartisanship is already starting to go away because of those that would rather take vengeance on the governor for being a republican instead of addressing the issues and working with him to make our state better.

KevinK

Ultimate Member
    Jun 24, 2008
    Carroll County, Md
    Thank you all for meeting me here today. I have informed my new Superintendent to immediately right a wrong that has reoccurred for many years in Maryland.

Citizens should have the ability to protect themselves, their families, and their neighbors. More specifically, they should have the ability to choose. I don't think you'll find a law abiding Marylander that disagrees.

That's why I'm proud to announce a change in our Good and Substantial law in the great state of Maryland. Effective immediately, I have instructed Superintendent Pallozzi to start processing applications for Conceal Carry Licenses allowing 'Self Defense' as a 'Good and Substantial' reason on the application. No longer will Self Defense be a disapproving factor for law abiding folks in Maryland who want to Conceal Carry. Anyone not otherwise restricted from owning or carrying a firearm will be approved.

....said Hogan

The End
    Even if Hogan does allow 'Self Defense' as a 'Good and Substantial' reason, doesn't the somewhat arbitrary approval process still stand? Can there still not be long, drawn out investigations into a an applicants 'suitability' to be granted a permit? I hope I'm wrong and that G&S would be de facto 'Shall Issue'.

hqdefault.jpg
    I see what you did there.

rem87062597

Annapolis, MD
    Jul 13, 2012
    As much as I hate the current political atmosphere in the MD legislature....you can't possibly compare New Jersey 2A issues to ours. The masses in NJ are apathetic to 2A issues.

True, but I'm talking about national attention and potential presidential stuff. He's getting all of that despite his 2A positions.

vector03

Frustrated Incorporated
    Jan 7, 2009
    Columbia
    Even if Hogan does allow 'Self Defense' as a 'Good and Substantial' reason, doesn't the somewhat arbitrary approval process still stand? Can there still not be long, drawn out investigations into a an applicants 'suitability' to be granted a permit? I hope I'm wrong and that G&S would be de facto 'Shall Issue'.

Good and Substantial is the linchpin in the entire process. Without a "Good and Substantial" reason, you're denied. Self Defense is not currently recognized as a Good and Substantial reason. If "Self Defense" is recognized as a "Good and Substantial" reason, you'll be approved as long as you pass the requirements to own a gun.

That's my understanding anyway.

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    As much as I hate the current political atmosphere in the MD legislature....you can't possibly compare New Jersey 2A issues to ours. The masses in NJ are apathetic to 2A issues.

And this differs from Maryland how?

KevinK

Ultimate Member
    Jun 24, 2008
    Carroll County, Md
    Good and Substantial is the linchpin in the entire process. Without a "Good and Substantial" reason, you're denied. Self Defense is not currently recognized as a Good and Substantial reason. If "Self Defense" is recognized as a "Good and Substantial" reason, you'll be approved as long as you pass the requirements to own a gun.

That's my understanding anyway.
    Isn't there that whole (perhaps) arbitrary 'interview' process to deal with and a (perhaps) arbitrary background investigation? I don't think it's anywhere near as easy as meeting the requirements to just own a gun. But yes, you do need a valid G&S to even get the ball rolling.

Bald Fat Guy

Oct 7, 2014
    Geographic percentages don't mean much. The DC 'burbs, Balt City , and Balt 'burbs by themselves make the majority of population, and of voters.

Bald Fat Guy

Oct 7, 2014
    Interviews of applicants. Interviews of refrences, spouses, current and former employers, and any and everyone else that peeks their intrest from those interviews. Release of complete medical records. Etc.

The (more than 365 , but still relatively modest number) applicants post decision, Pre Stay required MSP to rehire retirees and assign interviews to regular Troopers, and still took them aprox 9 months to do what they should have in 90 days. If the prospect of actually being aproved causes Marylanders to react with only 1/4 the vigor as Wisconsin , they will be backlogged for 10 years.

vector03

Frustrated Incorporated
    Jan 7, 2009
    Columbia
    Isn't there that whole (perhaps) arbitrary 'interview' process to deal with and a (perhaps) arbitrary background investigation? I don't think it's anywhere near as easy as meeting the requirements to just own a gun. But yes, you do need a valid G&S to even get the ball rolling.

Full disclosure, I have not been through the process.

I suppose they could continue the interview process, but without criminal convictions that would preclude you from owning a gun, how would they deny your request for a permit?

If I understand it correctly, with the exception of the interview and fingerprints, the requirements for a Carry permit are the same as purchasing a handgun.

Bald Fat Guy

Oct 7, 2014
    Brown managed to loose. Ok, that's a little harsh, but Brown was a very submarginal candidate, the Dem Party was underwhelmed in their enthusiasim. Combined with Hogan being a strong candidate, and his economic message made unpresecedented inroads ( by Md standards) into core Dem areas.

Now that Hogan is IN , he provides a rallying point for all the Dems to unite to unseat him in 4 years, and block his evil agenda in the meanwhile.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    I'm hoping that Hogan raddles the cage and does it vigorously! That's what the people want... they want change! I'm not sure if he would be a 2 term governor because he's already meeting resistance when it comes to cutting taxes. He wants to cut taxes but the dems are pissed that we have a republican governor so they're doing what they can to make him fail. It doesn't matter if he is the best man for the job, they're pissed because he's not "one of them". His idea of bipartisanship is already starting to go away because of those that would rather take vengeance on the governor for being a republican instead of addressing the issues and working with him to make our state better.

Well Said.

The Dems have no intention of playing nicely.

They prefer to through the sand that's in the box instead of doing something creative with it.

Petulant children.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    If the Superintendent can change G&S, can he also change the other processes?

ie, Interview, references, etc?

That's what I'm thinking. If they can accept self defense, they don't need to play games for 3 friggin months calling all over the place and "investigating" every facet of your life.

501st

Ultimate Member
    Jun 16, 2011
    But what everyone seems to miss is that the Dems in the General Assembly take their marching orders from the Senate President and Speaker of the House who in turn take their marching orders from the Dem Party of MD and the DNC.

We know that if a legislator steps out of line of the national party platform on gun control without permission to do so, they simply let them wither on the vine with no support for future legislation or election campaigns.

I can't tell you how many legislators with Ds after their name that I talked to that admitted in private that they were on board with our issues while at the same time saying that they couldn't support them for those exact reasons.

As long as the national platform on guns remains what it is, there will be no mass shift in the MGA Dems.

No mass shift is likely correct, but that doesn't mean we can't make smaller gains. For example I spoke to a legislator on 2A tuesday who had a very positive stance on the 2A despite being a democrat and being in a very liberal district. Quite surprising since everybody seemed to have overlooked him. I'm sure that this delegate is not alone in his views and that we may have better luck with newer legislators who are beginning to define themselves and have not become entrenched in party politics and the ways of annapolis.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom