• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • quickdraw17

I'd rather be shooting...
    Jun 24, 2013
    I'm finally getting a chance to hunt waterfowl this year with my new Remington Versamax. I'll need to pattern my shotgun with the ammo I'll ultimately decide on, but if anyone has any good experiences with any particular brand/type of non-toxic shot I'd appreciate the input so I know what to try first. I'll be chasing puddle ducks and most likely Canada and Snow Geese.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    Honestly for the price kent steel has always knocked down my birds. That being said I got a hundred rounds of black cloud I'm going to try out but seriously I have 0 issues with cheap kent steel.

Franklin

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 12, 2012
    close to budds creek
    im a heavy shot guy but the kent fasteel will do just fine. BB for geese,#2 for ducks. if you arent that good of a shot, #2 for geese and 4 for ducks.

snows, BB

Mossyoak

Never enough
    Jan 5, 2009
    Ceciltucky
    I concur , Kent fasteel. I usually order a case from Cabelas around this time of year. I have also shot Black Cloud and although i do like it, for the money I have killed a ton of birds with Kent over the years.

mark71211

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2012
    Edgewater
    I have found that it does matter which one you use, you just got to pattern them all. I shoot two different types of shells when I goose hunt. One is for close range and the other is fr te farther out shot

Travism30

Mar 31, 2007
    i think black cloud is just a little more powerful but have knocked down a bunch with kent and will buy kent over black cloud. Another vote for Kent!

Franklin

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 12, 2012
    close to budds creek
    Something else to think about too, like Mark said. If a load doesn't shoot good in a mod or full,try improved. With most BB I tried for geese,improved was all I needed all the way out to 30 which is the farthest decoy I put out. I can still pick some off a little past that if someone shoots into my lane. I started with full and was blowing holes straight through them..little overkill..lol

Ducks I use heavy shot but that's a different ball game vs steel.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    I reload my own, so, my reloads are pretty hot compared to commercial store bought ammo. I didn't care for anything on the market because it all seems like cliche shotshells except for steel and not lead, which made it even worse. I want a shotshell that is hard-hitting and get's out there. I did buy some Kent and a box Estate and after pulling the trigger on those I just shook my head. I felt like I was shoot some Dove/Clays loads. Therefore I started reloading my own. My suggestion on Waterfowl loads is to compare brands and buy the box with the top velocity. The cheapest boxes will just be like shooting a clays load.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Pureblood

Latest threads

Top Bottom