• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jc1240

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 18, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    :goodpost:
    "But, But, But, the MGA will use this guy as an example to take muh freedoms next session"

No, I think you can be assured they have their 100 point plan in place to ruin you already. Pro tip: decades of apathy by non-voters and decades of intent to infringe with no meaningful pushback have led to this, not some guy in a bar. At some point Marylanders have to take ownership of the state of Maryland affairs.
    Yup - that is the same Md. Gen. Ass. with people who say mock us for complaining about turning law-abiding citizens into felons with the stroke of a pen and then saying it's the citizen's fault for being a felon at that point. They'll do what they want any way they want it done.

ADR

Ultimate Member
    Aug 17, 2011
    I got my arms done after I retired. But that was more to be "sterile" and not standing out throughout the world.

AA county cop in my building is tatted from his neck down. I haven't seen him naked yet, but I bet he's 99% done. There's quite a few on the dept. who I've seen with full sleeves and such.
    My tattoos are older than a lot of the guys I work with but it's definitely more common to see them on officers with so many being prior service combat vets post 911. There are certainly still situations where I will go long sleeve in the warmer months out of respect for the situation/event/person I may be dealing with.

ADR

Ultimate Member
    Aug 17, 2011
    You'd probably love Dirk Gently's holistic detective agency. All the quotes in my sig are Douglas Adams, the first one is from Dirk Gently. They made a show of it not too long ago on one of the streaming services, the book, as always, is better.
    You've opened my eyes to someone I was not previously familiar with. I'm already known for putting random (and sometimes unusual) quotes around the police barracks. This will give me material to continue my endless quest to make people go - WTF?

Johnny5k

Ultimate Member
    Nov 24, 2020
    You've opened my eyes to someone I was not previously familiar with. I'm already known for putting random (and sometimes unusual) quotes around the police barracks. This will give me material to continue my endless quest to make people go - WTF?
    Then Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy will give you oodles of mind bending quotes to work with. Its also incredibly easy and fun to read. I knocked it out in 2 days the first time.

“The story so far:
    In the beginning the Universe was created.
    This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.”

“For instance, on the planet Earth, man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time. But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.”

“The fact that we live at the bottom of a deep gravity well, on the surface of a gas covered planet going around a nuclear fireball 90 million miles away and think this to be normal is obviously some indication of how skewed our perspective tends to be.”

ADR

Ultimate Member
    Aug 17, 2011
    Then Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy will give you oodles of mind bending quotes to work with. Its also incredibly easy and fun to read. I knocked it out in 2 days the first time.

“The story so far:
    In the beginning the Universe was created.
    This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.”

“For instance, on the planet Earth, man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time. But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.”

“The fact that we live at the bottom of a deep gravity well, on the surface of a gas covered planet going around a nuclear fireball 90 million miles away and think this to be normal is obviously some indication of how skewed our perspective tends to be.”
    To me that's pure genius. The ability to say or write something that causes people to hear it and then later go - "Wait a minute...." is epic.

While I've heard of it, in all my years I've never thought about reading it because I honestly had no clue what it was. I'll definitely do some catching up.

Crazytrain

Certified Grump
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 8, 2007
    Sparks, MD
    We had a whole thread on this subject. Concealed carry and alcohol. I figured I'd never enter this battle again; but while I've never noticed a problem before, maybe I have poor impulse control. So...here I go...

Why drink while carrying? In the first place, you're carrying because you believe there to be a potential to have to use a firearm to protect you or "yours". If the poop hits the fan and you had to draw your weapon and heaven forbid had to discharge a round, you will become embroiled in a "witch hunt". You'll be guilty before innocent, and your every move will be scrutinized by the law enforcement and the State AG. Why, why, why, would you ever give them anything that they will use against you? You'll be accused of drinking, drunk or under the influence, and that your judgment was impaired. IMO, that's just stupid no matter how you slice it.

My position in carrying, I don't visit bars while carrying, and if I visit a restaurant that has a bar I make sure to NOT sit in the bar area. And I never drink while carrying, regardless. It's a choice. If drinking is that important to you, stay home and drink until your liver falls out.....
    BGOS is a thing. I've got a case myself, although I now realize that mine is very minor and likely treatable. I'm afraid for many folks here the BGOS is terminal.

The moralistic, absolutist, fearful mindset of many folks is a little tough to take. "Stay home and drink until your liver fall out?" Really? I think too many folks believe that people only drink to get drunk. Most, I believe, drink as a social tool, or perhaps to relax a little after a tough day. This guy was just wanting to watch a football game with friends. According to Blaster he didn't get messy, sloppy, violent, confrontational, or anything. Let him live his life. The only real problem seems to be that he let his firearm show, which makes some people uncomfortable. Well screw those people.

The guy probably wasn't actually "open carrying," at least not intentionally. He appears to have had a wardrobe malfunction or just forgot to pull his shirt down. Finally, a legitimate reason for checking on your gun while carrying, I suppose. Nothing suggested he did anything irresponsible, except for those who believe any alcohol is bad. Lots of folks here have bragged about not drinking. That's great but it doesn't make you special.

There are probably more guns in bars than you'd expect. There are probably more guns everywhere than you'd expect. They rarely get pulled because there is no reason the vast majority of the time. If folks are violent by nature and willing to introduce guns into the mix, they probably are ne'er-do-wells anyhow and no manner of preaching is going to change their generally bad behavior. If one of these folks is around you might appreciate someone else being armed, even with a couple beers in them.

Most folks know their drinking limit. For those of you who don't, you should get with the program.

The biggest danger of carrying while drinking is accidentally dropping the weapon. Even if sloppy drunk having a pistol on your hip is not generally gonna be a problem if you are carrying in a quality holster, so long as you aren't manipulating it. Time in the can is the most likely place for this to happen. Remember, it is inanimate. It's not gonna wait for you to have a few drinks before making a break for it and shooting the place up on its' own.

Regards Architect's post above, you in fact are carrying, usually, because of the potential for needing it in self defense. That potential exists always, everywhere, all the time. At home, at the gas station, the grocery store, the state park, church, everywhere. The right to self defense doesn't mean you have to (or should) stop living a full life.

And, come on, stop worrying about what the DA/AG/LE will do if you have to pull the weapon to defend yourself. That comes later and is something you don't want to be contemplating during a defensive event. First priority is to keep you and yours alive. If you don't carry because of fear of a witch hunt or other persecution it means you fear the state more than you fear bad guys, and may find yourself unprepared that one critical moment in your life when bad things happen. That is a very big problem in my eyes, and is frankly the only reason I haven't made a habit of exercising my rights by carrying a gun even without a permission slip. A good indication of tyranny I'd say.

I'm not trying to encourage drinking and carrying. I'm just saying that for most it isn't the biggest deal, and I'd far rather have someone carrying a gun after a few than driving a car. If you are going to be binge drinking, or are just a bad person when drinking, it's probably best to keep to a safe place and away from all dangerous implements including guns, cars, knives, and cell phones.

Freedom, baby! As my father once told me, "try not to do anything stupid!"

safecracker

Unrepentant Sinner
    Feb 26, 2009
    We had a whole thread on this subject. Concealed carry and alcohol. I figured I'd never enter this battle again; but while I've never noticed a problem before, maybe I have poor impulse control. So...here I go... BGOS is a thing. I've got a case myself, although I now realize that mine is very minor and likely treatable. I'm afraid for many folks here the BGOS is terminal. The moralistic, absolutist, fearful mindset of many folks is a little tough to take. "Stay home and drink until your liver fall out?" Really? I think too many folks believe that people only drink to get drunk. Most, I believe, drink as a social tool, or perhaps to relax a little after a tough day. This guy was just wanting to watch a football game with friends. According to Blaster he didn't get messy, sloppy, violent, confrontational, or anything. Let him live his life. The only real problem seems to be that he let his firearm show, which makes some people uncomfortable. Well screw those people. The guy probably wasn't actually "open carrying," at least not intentionally. He appears to have had a wardrobe malfunction or just forgot to pull his shirt down. Finally, a legitimate reason for checking on your gun while carrying, I suppose. Nothing suggested he did anything irresponsible, except for those who believe any alcohol is bad. Lots of folks here have bragged about not drinking. That's great but it doesn't make you special. There are probably more guns in bars than you'd expect. There are probably more guns everywhere than you'd expect. They rarely get pulled because there is no reason the vast majority of the time. If folks are violent by nature and willing to introduce guns into the mix, they probably are ne'er-do-wells anyhow and no manner of preaching is going to change their generally bad behavior. If one of these folks is around you might appreciate someone else being armed, even with a couple beers in them. Most folks know their drinking limit. For those of you who don't, you should get with the program. The biggest danger of carrying while drinking is accidentally dropping the weapon. Even if sloppy drunk having a pistol on your hip is not generally gonna be a problem if you are carrying in a quality holster, so long as you aren't manipulating it. Time in the can is the most likely place for this to happen. Remember, it is inanimate. It's not gonna wait for you to have a few drinks before making a break for it and shooting the place up on its' own. Regards Architect's post above, you in fact are carrying, usually, because of the potential for needing it in self defense. That potential exists always, everywhere, all the time. At home, at the gas station, the grocery store, the state park, church, everywhere. The right to self defense doesn't mean you have to (or should) stop living a full life. And, come on, stop worrying about what the DA/AG/LE will do if you have to pull the weapon to defend yourself. That comes later and is something you don't want to be contemplating during a defensive event. First priority is to keep you and yours alive. If you don't carry because of fear of a witch hunt or other persecution it means you fear the state more than you fear bad guys, and may find yourself unprepared that one critical moment in your life when bad things happen. That is a very big problem in my eyes, and is frankly the only reason I haven't made a habit of exercising my rights by carrying a gun even without a permission slip. A good indication of tyranny I'd say. I'm not trying to encourage drinking and carrying. I'm just saying that for most it isn't the biggest deal, and I'd far rather have someone carrying a gun after a few than driving a car. If you are going to be binge drinking, or are just a bad person when drinking, it's probably best to keep to a safe place and away from all dangerous implements including guns, cars, knives, and cell phones. Freedom, baby! As my father once told me, "try not to do anything stupid!"
    We had a whole thread on this subject. Concealed carry and alcohol. I figured I'd never enter this battle again; but while I've never noticed a problem before, maybe I have poor impulse control. So...here I go... BGOS is a thing. I've got a case myself, although I now realize that mine is very minor and likely treatable. I'm afraid for many folks here the BGOS is terminal. The moralistic, absolutist, fearful mindset of many folks is a little tough to take. "Stay home and drink until your liver fall out?" Really? I think too many folks believe that people only drink to get drunk. Most, I believe, drink as a social tool, or perhaps to relax a little after a tough day. This guy was just wanting to watch a football game with friends. According to Blaster he didn't get messy, sloppy, violent, confrontational, or anything. Let him live his life. The only real problem seems to be that he let his firearm show, which makes some people uncomfortable. Well screw those people. The guy probably wasn't actually "open carrying," at least not intentionally. He appears to have had a wardrobe malfunction or just forgot to pull his shirt down. Finally, a legitimate reason for checking on your gun while carrying, I suppose. Nothing suggested he did anything irresponsible, except for those who believe any alcohol is bad. Lots of folks here have bragged about not drinking. That's great but it doesn't make you special. There are probably more guns in bars than you'd expect. There are probably more guns everywhere than you'd expect. They rarely get pulled because there is no reason the vast majority of the time. If folks are violent by nature and willing to introduce guns into the mix, they probably are ne'er-do-wells anyhow and no manner of preaching is going to change their generally bad behavior. If one of these folks is around you might appreciate someone else being armed, even with a couple beers in them. Most folks know their drinking limit. For those of you who don't, you should get with the program. The biggest danger of carrying while drinking is accidentally dropping the weapon. Even if sloppy drunk having a pistol on your hip is not generally gonna be a problem if you are carrying in a quality holster, so long as you aren't manipulating it. Time in the can is the most likely place for this to happen. Remember, it is inanimate. It's not gonna wait for you to have a few drinks before making a break for it and shooting the place up on its' own. Regards Architect's post above, you in fact are carrying, usually, because of the potential for needing it in self defense. That potential exists always, everywhere, all the time. At home, at the gas station, the grocery store, the state park, church, everywhere. The right to self defense doesn't mean you have to (or should) stop living a full life. And, come on, stop worrying about what the DA/AG/LE will do if you have to pull the weapon to defend yourself. That comes later and is something you don't want to be contemplating during a defensive event. First priority is to keep you and yours alive. If you don't carry because of fear of a witch hunt or other persecution it means you fear the state more than you fear bad guys, and may find yourself unprepared that one critical moment in your life when bad things happen. That is a very big problem in my eyes, and is frankly the only reason I haven't made a habit of exercising my rights by carrying a gun even without a permission slip. A good indication of tyranny I'd say. I'm not trying to encourage drinking and carrying. I'm just saying that for most it isn't the biggest deal, and I'd far rather have someone carrying a gun after a few than driving a car. If you are going to be binge drinking, or are just a bad person when drinking, it's probably best to keep to a safe place and away from all dangerous implements including guns, cars, knives, and cell phones. Freedom, baby! As my father once told me, "try not to do anything stupid!"

Spot on.
    I’d bet some of these guys are the same ones who sit in the left lane with their cruise control set to the speed limit, refusing to yield to faster traffic as if they are the self-anointed arbiters of speed control.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Spot on.
    I’d bet some of these guys are the same ones who sit in the left lane with their cruise control set to the speed limit, refusing to yield to faster traffic as if they are the self-anointed arbiters of speed control.
    Many NRA patches and classes are shining through.

Architect

Apr 6, 2015
    Queen Anne's County
    We had a whole thread on this subject. Concealed carry and alcohol. I figured I'd never enter this battle again; but while I've never noticed a problem before, maybe I have poor impulse control. So...here I go...

BGOS is a thing. I've got a case myself, although I now realize that mine is very minor and likely treatable. I'm afraid for many folks here the BGOS is terminal.

The moralistic, absolutist, fearful mindset of many folks is a little tough to take. "Stay home and drink until your liver fall out?" Really? I think too many folks believe that people only drink to get drunk. Most, I believe, drink as a social tool, or perhaps to relax a little after a tough day. This guy was just wanting to watch a football game with friends. According to Blaster he didn't get messy, sloppy, violent, confrontational, or anything. Let him live his life. The only real problem seems to be that he let his firearm show, which makes some people uncomfortable. Well screw those people.

The guy probably wasn't actually "open carrying," at least not intentionally. He appears to have had a wardrobe malfunction or just forgot to pull his shirt down. Finally, a legitimate reason for checking on your gun while carrying, I suppose. Nothing suggested he did anything irresponsible, except for those who believe any alcohol is bad. Lots of folks here have bragged about not drinking. That's great but it doesn't make you special.

There are probably more guns in bars than you'd expect. There are probably more guns everywhere than you'd expect. They rarely get pulled because there is no reason the vast majority of the time. If folks are violent by nature and willing to introduce guns into the mix, they probably are ne'er-do-wells anyhow and no manner of preaching is going to change their generally bad behavior. If one of these folks is around you might appreciate someone else being armed, even with a couple beers in them.

Most folks know their drinking limit. For those of you who don't, you should get with the program.

The biggest danger of carrying while drinking is accidentally dropping the weapon. Even if sloppy drunk having a pistol on your hip is not generally gonna be a problem if you are carrying in a quality holster, so long as you aren't manipulating it. Time in the can is the most likely place for this to happen. Remember, it is inanimate. It's not gonna wait for you to have a few drinks before making a break for it and shooting the place up on its' own.

Regards Architect's post above, you in fact are carrying, usually, because of the potential for needing it in self defense. That potential exists always, everywhere, all the time. At home, at the gas station, the grocery store, the state park, church, everywhere. The right to self defense doesn't mean you have to (or should) stop living a full life.

And, come on, stop worrying about what the DA/AG/LE will do if you have to pull the weapon to defend yourself. That comes later and is something you don't want to be contemplating during a defensive event. First priority is to keep you and yours alive. If you don't carry because of fear of a witch hunt or other persecution it means you fear the state more than you fear bad guys, and may find yourself unprepared that one critical moment in your life when bad things happen. That is a very big problem in my eyes, and is frankly the only reason I haven't made a habit of exercising my rights by carrying a gun even without a permission slip. A good indication of tyranny I'd say.

I'm not trying to encourage drinking and carrying. I'm just saying that for most it isn't the biggest deal, and I'd far rather have someone carrying a gun after a few than driving a car. If you are going to be binge drinking, or are just a bad person when drinking, it's probably best to keep to a safe place and away from all dangerous implements including guns, cars, knives, and cell phones.

The best thing about this country is freedom. The freedom that allows me to do my thing the way I want. And the freedom for you to do your thing the way you want.

I believe in being prepared. Prepared before, prepared during and prepared after.

If you’re okay with aftermath of using your firearm while drinking. You do you. Not hating on you for what you said, and I’m certainly not losing any sleep over anyone out there exercising their right to carry and their right to drink.

That’s just my opinion on the matter. And you know what they say about opinions.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    The BGOS here is unbelievable.
    If Blaster hadn’t seen this guy’s weapon, this thread wouldn’t even exist. Not advocating it, but people drink and carry all the time where I live. I see it on a regular basis and it doesn’t bother me in the least. I reckon I’m just used to it. But guess what? They do it in Maryland too, but you generally don’t see it, be it legal or not. It’s not a new thing.

Some of you Karens who want to rat the guy out, cut him off, take his keys, etc. need to mind your own f*cking business and stop worrying about what others are doing. The guy wasn’t a threat. He wasn’t causing a scene. He wasn’t picking fights. He wasn’t grabbing asses. He wasn’t puking on the bar. He was just watching a stupid football game. And not one of us heard about him on the evening news afterward. Maybe one of you Dudley Do-rights should’ve forcibly disarmed him….that would’ve ended the threat right then and there and you could unbunch your panties and finish your White Claw without further worry.

Like eruby said, “freedom is a dangerous thing”. That being said, let people be responsible for their own actions, which is what freedom is all about anyway. Yet some of you are behaving like MoCo soccer moms by wanting to involve yourselves in a situation that is none of your business. Jam the guy up with potential charges, legal bills, and perhaps a prohibited status just because you are “uncomfortable”. Lighten the f*ck up, Karen.
    ^^^^ This ^^^^

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011

And... ^^^^ This ^^^^

Waingro

Apr 4, 2018
    What would happen in this scenario if there was an off duty msp or county police seeing the same activity Blaster saw. Are they obligated to do or say anything to the guy? I'm just curious how that would go. Hopefully some Leo's on here with some insight

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    An on-duty officer might approach the guy...depends on whether he feels a crime is being or is about to be committed. An off-duty officer must act to the best of his ability if there's a felony being committed in his presence...for a misdemeanor offense he generally has no duty to act.

This is a case where it's officer discretion on how to handle it. Local and state police are probably receiving instructions in how to handle such scenarios since shall-issue is now the law. They're likely being told to be very careful in handling such scenarios.

Now if the police receive a call from a patron of the restaurant or management about a man carrying a firearm a responding officer would have to check it out...possibly approach the guy and talk to him. The danger is the number of bystanders getting caught up and witnessing it. Everyone's got a cell phone camera that could be videoing the interaction...for better or worse. The officer could ask the guy to go outside to discuss the matter. Every officer could handle it differently...whether it requires a response or not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom