• ...and so much more!
  • wvuguy

Mountain Man
    Jan 23, 2012
    Garrett County

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Think more broadly, first of all those people needed help and its good PR for gun companies to show the "kinder side". Corporate philantropy is a time honored tactic, vs more lobbying funds (no matter how bad they are needed) that the public may not understand.

Second, its also good customer management/shareholder responsiblity. Especially if you want to win good favor for future sales from your LE division.

http://www.interaksyon.com/article/...pply-50000-m4-rifles-for-afp-company-rep-says

Remington has won some pretty decent contracts with the Phillippines. If you take the above contract for 50k rifles, that means they donated about a $1 a rifle.

Companies like Remington are betting on police/military contracts to supplant losses in civilian sales (though I am sure they plan to hold the line on "fudd" guns).

Not a bad move.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    I'm not cynical or anything but maybe they are in the running for a government contract or they outsource some manufacturing there. From a humanitarian standpoint, a hurting person is a hurting person, regardless of where they live.

wvuguy

Mountain Man
    Jan 23, 2012
    Garrett County
    I guess I am looking at it with an American viewpoint and not worldwide. I think the Utah gun company that denied the contract with Pakistan was a great P.R move for them. I think it would have been a great P.R move to support the U.S military, we have veterans that need our help.

Multifaceted

Jerk of all Trades
    Jan 10, 2013
    Adams County, PA
    The Philippines have very close relations with the U.S., let's not forget that many Filipino soldiers fought, bled, and died alongside American troops in the Pacific theater during WWII. Though it is not state sanctioned relief, but corporate, I see it as a noble deed for a good cause to people who are in need.

Last edited:

iggy

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 26, 2013
    The Philippines have very close relations with the U.S., let's not forget that many Filipino soldiers fought, bled, and died along side American troops in the Pacific theater during WWII. Though it is not state sanctioned relief, but corporate, though I see it as a noble deed for a good cause to people who are in need.

Not to mention Pilipino are gun lovers. I am sure that they import plenty from Remington.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I saw today on Remington's Facebook page that they donated 50,000 dollars toward the Philippines relief effort and this got me thinking. Could that money have went to something better. I don't want to sound heartless or anything but that money could have been put to better use, like being donated to the NRA or a charity for our veterans.

http://www.ammoland.com/2014/01/rem...es-to-philippine-relief-effort/#axzz2q6T8hAZe

I am sure that money was well-spent helping the good people of the Philippines. While causes like the NRA and our veterans are good and worthy causes, when people can't meet their most basic needs like food and clean water that takes precedence over all politics. That's just my opinion.

Also, Remington is a World-wide corporation. I'm sure they do business with the people of the Philippines. To think they should only give to causes that benefit Americans is short-sighted.

spclopr8tr

Whatchalookinat?
    Apr 20, 2013
    TN
    Not to mention Pilipino are gun lovers. I am sure that they import plenty from Remington.

And what is your observation based on? According to Gunpolicy.org, the estimated rate of private gun ownership (both licit and illicit) in the Philippines is 4.7. firearms per 100 people. The rate for ownership in the U.S. is 101.05 firearms per 100 people. The PI has very restrictive laws governing ownership, including licensing and registration of all firearms. In a comparison of the rate of private gun ownership in 178 countries, the Philippines ranked at No. 105. I think a better description of the PI is that they would like to own guns. I don't think they "import plenty from Remington". ref: http://www.gunpolicy.org/firearms/region/philippines

In any case, Remington making a donation to the PI is a laudable thing to do. The PI not only shed blood along side us in WWII, they continued to serve in the U.S. military for decades after, with many of them gaining U.S. citizenship as a result. My guess is that many U.S. companies made corporate donations to the PI following the disaster, and this particular one only is getting visibility because of the nature of Remington's business and the nature of this forum.

I say good on them. (Said as a U.S. veteran)

Mattk21009

Jun 8, 2013
    Harford County
    And what is your observation based on? According to Gunpolicy.org, the estimated rate of private gun ownership (both licit and illicit) in the Philippines is 4.7. firearms per 100 people. The rate for ownership in the U.S. is 101.05 firearms per 100 people. The PI has very restrictive laws governing ownership, including licensing and registration of all firearms. In a comparison of the rate of private gun ownership in 178 countries, the Philippines ranked at No. 105. I think a better description of the PI is that they would like to own guns. I don't think they "import plenty from Remington". ref: http://www.gunpolicy.org/firearms/region/philippines

In any case, Remington making a donation to the PI is a laudable thing to do. The PI not only shed blood along side us in WWII, they continued to serve in the U.S. military for decades after, with many of them gaining U.S. citizenship as a result. My guess is that many U.S. companies made corporate donations to the PI following the disaster, and this particular one only is getting visibility because of the nature of Remington's business and the nature of this forum.

If you have HBO on demand check out a show called 'Vice'. There was an episode covering the massive underground firearms manufacturing scene. Very restrictive laws on legal gun ownership but there are many, many private people making all kinds of firearms. Their ingenuity was pretty remarkable as at as looking at the raw materials they had access to compared to what the finished product looked like.

rh92

Mar 2, 2013
    Rockville
    If you have HBO on demand check out a show called 'Vice'. There was an episode covering the massive underground firearms manufacturing scene. Very restrictive laws on legal gun ownership but there are many, many private people making all kinds of firearms. Their ingenuity was pretty remarkable as at as looking at the raw materials they had access to compared to what the finished product looked like.
    VICE also has a YouTube channel but I'm not sure if they have the particular episode you're referring too.

spclopr8tr

Whatchalookinat?
    Apr 20, 2013
    TN

And what exactly does that have to do with Remington and "importing plenty"? The underground manufacturing is illegal. I don't see how that is relevant to Remington's motivation for donating $50k for disaster relief unless you are suggesting Remington is trying to bribe/buy their way into a larger PI market opportunity.

Benanov

PM Bomber
    May 15, 2013
    Shrewsbury, PA
    I saw today on Remington's Facebook page that they donated 50,000 dollars toward the Philippines relief effort and this got me thinking. Could that money have went to something better. I don't want to sound heartless or anything but that money could have been put to better use, like being donated to the NRA or a charity for our veterans.

You sound pretty heartless (the only way to add any more heartlessness IMO would to have appended "just saying").

Many other posters have posted reasons (Phillipines / US relations, Filipino gun ownership, corporate PR wins, human decency) for Remington doing what it did. I agree with them.

So 50k went to humanitarian causes rather than legislative change; there's plenty of lobbying money still left in the bucket. Plus 50k is fairly small for an established company and can be written off. Lots of accounting tricks and Remington will have the resources for that.

Congratulate / reward good actions and chastise them for doing evil actions. In this case, the best course of action would have been to stay silent.

iggy

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 26, 2013

http://remington.com/en/pages/news-...dsassaultriflecontracttoremingtondefense.aspx
    About 50M just in one contract....

Not to mention Remington lists a dealer in Milan. :thumbsup:

spclopr8tr

Whatchalookinat?
    Apr 20, 2013
    TN

r3t1awr3yd

Meh.
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 14, 2010
    Bowie, MD

There's no better cause than helping your fellow man in need IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Scot2024

Latest threads

Top Bottom