• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • capt14k

Jul 27, 2015
    While I don't post much here I enjoy the forum and how people aren't afraid to call things how they are like the Classic M39 Mess. Does anyone know if gunboards was sold to Vertical Scope? At least one Sponsor has suddenly received a bill from Vertical Scope and the site finally started working with Tapatalk out of nowhere today.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

capt14k

Jul 27, 2015
    Threads were being shutdown on gunboards but it is now official they did sell to Vertical Scope

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    That will be the death of gunboards like it has been the end for several other forums.

welder516

Deplorable Welder
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Underground Bunker
    They are a Canadian company that is involved in newspaper corps. if you dig further the questions run deep ..............................and may be anti-gun , but please do all your own fact checking to come up with findings that make sense to you .

The new people (VS) say they are not going to interfere with any anti gun messages and that they just want to make money ............................and I think play both sides of the fence IMHO .

capt14k

Jul 27, 2015
    Major ad placement scheme is my guess
    Yes and selling of info. Which Vic has said there is no info to sell. That is BS. Unless one can wipe themselves from gunboards servers there is plenty of info sell. To begin with your email address. I'm sure every Gunboard member or member of any forum they bought will be hammered with spam.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Much less expensive in starting your own firearms magazine as well. I suspect that the outlay to get rights for one of these forums/websites is in the $10-20k range, and there's already an established readership base, that communicates/interacts directly with the management, reporting what they are purchasing, what they want to purchase, etc. The per eyes spending ratio likely also beats traditional magazines as well, and forums are not eroding readership like the magazines (in fact they're probably growing). If they can convince the major corporate ad buyers to spend their monies in 30+ commonly held firearm forums (and if they've similarly linked other forums that are liked minded), they're probably doing ok as long as they don't kill the forum experience.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    They are a Canadian company that is involved in newspaper corps. if you dig further the questions run deep ..............................and may be anti-gun , but please do all your own fact checking to come up with findings that make sense to you .

The new people (VS) say they are not going to interfere with any anti gun messages and that they just want to make money ............................and I think play both sides of the fence IMHO .
    Understand.... again, I was just curious, as I know of a couple of other forums that they took over, not gun related, but perhaps outdoor sports related. They really haven't 'interfered with' or changed them in any way that is noticeable, but.. they have brought more advertising to those forums. I can understand that from a business standpoint, as it it the advertisers and site sponsors that generate revenue for most forums.

So far, I have not had any issues with spam or other nuisance marketing, as I use a separate email account for those forums that I participate in (like MDS).

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    The per eyes spending ratio likely also beats traditional magazines as well, and forums are not eroding readership like the magazines (in fact they're probably growing). If they can convince the major corporate ad buyers to spend their monies in 30+ commonly held firearm forums (and if they've similarly linked other forums that are liked minded),

Cost ratio probably rivals direct mail for collated & confirmed mailing lists. Probably a no brainer for the ad buyers.

texkev

Administrator
    Staff member
    Admin
    Jan 19, 2016
    North Texas
    What I know about Vertical Scope, they have never bought gun sites before and are being very aggressive about it right now. They have owned outdoor - hunting sites though. May have something to do with their new newspaper relationship, I think the Toronto Sun.

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    What I know about Vertical Scope, they have never bought gun sites before and are being very aggressive about it right now. They have owned outdoor - hunting sites though. May have something to do with their new newspaper relationship, I think the Toronto Sun.

And how do you know so much about Vertical Scope eh? Some kind of mole planted to see how receptive we are to being bought out huh? I is watching you.

JK sort of

Don't ban me!

texkev

Administrator
    Staff member
    Admin
    Jan 19, 2016
    North Texas
    LOL
    well not sure how to reply to that HA
    Fairly public info on them,easy to Google. Looking at their verticals, they have zero gun sites. Now that will change soon.
    http://www.torontosun.com/2016/05/0...to-535-million-as-revenue-falls-expenses-rise

There are only so many big players in this game, easy to list

"Torstar said the main reason for its increased digital revenue was its 56% investment in VerticalScope, which acquires and manages specialty websites."

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom