• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hammer67

Aug 21, 2016
    Ellicott City
    I wrote that last reply a while ago, but it just got sent.

Thanks all for the advice and offers. I have found 7/8 oz 20 gauge, min Dram and those combined with semi I think would be good to try first.

Hunterjjd-what is LOP of those 1100 and 11-87 20 gauge?

fabsroman-A391 20 gauge is what PG rents. Although they didn't mention youth models. said the LOP was about 14". What is LOP on your 391?

I have a friends 410 that I would have them try, but the LOP is 14" and too hard for them to hold. My dad had a 410, but I gave it to my sister for her kids. Not sure what LOP was. Where I grew up (southwestern PA), we could walk out our door and shoot in the yard. Sure wish I could still do that!

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    I wrote that last reply a while ago, but it just got sent.

Thanks all for the advice and offers. I have found 7/8 oz 20 gauge, min Dram and those combined with semi I think would be good to try first.

Hunterjjd-what is LOP of those 1100 and 11-87 20 gauge?

fabsroman-A391 20 gauge is what PG rents. Although they didn't mention youth models. said the LOP was about 14". What is LOP on your 391?

I have a friends 410 that I would have them try, but the LOP is 14" and too hard for them to hold. My dad had a 410, but I gave it to my sister for her kids. Not sure what LOP was. Where I grew up (southwestern PA), we could walk out our door and shoot in the yard. Sure wish I could still do that!

LOP is 13.75" with a 1" recoil pad on the gun, but I have a harder plastic buttplate for it that will make LOP around 13.25". Barrel length is 21". Weight of the gun is 5.85 pounds. My sisters have shot it at PG and ShallNotInfringe has used it a couple of times at CCGC. Nobody has ever said anything about barrel length.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    I like the 12 gauge and light loads too.

Taking a bunch of greenhorns to a sporting clay course without any previous clay shooting experience is going to be rough unless you spend a lot of your targets at an easy station.

Id at least talk to a friend with a big backyard to setup a thrower and throw the same target over and over while standing in the same spot to see if they even have fun with that

I think the best bet to start them out would be on trap, from the middle station, with the trap set to throw only straight away targets. Willing to bet that PG and CCGC would do this for the OP if he calls and asks in advance about it.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    A new shooter is barely going to hit crap anyway. Let them start with a .410 just to practice gun mount, gun swing, pulling the trigger, and getting used to recoil.

Then you are teaching them wrong. :)

With good instruction and the proper starting presentation, a new shooter can, and SHOULD hit their first target or so.

If they do not hit any targets, they will likely not enjoy the experience.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I like the 12 gauge and light loads too.

Taking a bunch of greenhorns to a sporting clay course without any previous clay shooting experience is going to be rough unless you spend a lot of your targets at an easy station.

Id at least talk to a friend with a big backyard to setup a thrower and throw the same target over and over while standing in the same spot to see if they even have fun with that

This is why PG has a special station for teaching.

The easiest target to hit, and the one recommended for the first shots is an incoming target. And hitting targets gets the student very interested. Missing is no fun. :)

But I always recommend, for first timers, use a trained and certified instructor. They will make sure the new person learns the fundamentals properly, and that they hit targets and have fun.

And that do not shoot too much, so they are too sore the next day.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Typically the rules on barrel length are so they can prevent the tacticool people from showing up with an 18" barrel to try to shoot trap. :)

If it is a sporting shotgun, with people who seem to know what they are doing, they will most likely not notice or ignore it.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Then you are teaching them wrong. :)

With good instruction and the proper starting presentation, a new shooter can, and SHOULD hit their first target or so.

If they do not hit any targets, they will likely not enjoy the experience.

I usually start them out on a soda can in the middle of a field somewhere, versus on moving targets. Just like I plan on starting a new driver out in a parking lot getting them used to the controls on the vehicle. Personally, I think starting a new shooter off at a clays range, shooting at new targets, is tough. They have to learn about gun safety, gun mount, gun operation, and tracking the target.

So, my advice to the OP would be to take these new shooters to a field, shake up a couple soda cans, and see if they can hit a stationary target with a shotgun. Granted, somewhat tough to do here in HoCo, but there might be some places in Carroll. It sucks not to have access to a field, and it sucks even more not to be able to discharge a firearm in HoCo unless one is hunting or under one of the other very limited circumstances.

As far as shooting not being fun unless people break stuff, I guess we have differing opinions on that. When I was a kid, I was always chomping at the bit to go hunting and shooting. Initially, I could not hit a thing, but it was still fun for me. Of course, I could be an anomaly. My brothers seemed to be the same way. Nowadays though, they don't like going hunting unless they are guaranteed they will be shooting. They much prefer guaranteed shooting at clay targets to the possibility of shooting at birds.

hammer67

Aug 21, 2016
    Ellicott City
    yeh, thats why I mentioned growing up in rural PA. so easy to just go in yard and shoot. I don't think AGC will let you shoot shotgun at cans, or anything other than the patterning board. hunterjjd mentioned he had place to shoot. I guess not in Howard County

diI ordered some light 20 and 12 gauge shells. I may wait till we go to my mom's in PA. Lock Raven looks nice for $40 to get them started at one of their youth clincs. They don't start till April.

I was at the new Dick's on 40 near 29 (at old Giant location) looking at ammo and looked at guns. they had a gun that I think would be great for them. 20 guage semi, 26" barrel, synthetic stock, light, just over 12" LOP with a recoil pad. $399. T&R imports. looked it up. They import guns from Turkey. This particular one made by Sarsilmaz. I know that the Weatherby SA-08 is Turkish made and it seems to have good reviews. I don't intend to buy it, but the specs seem perfect for youth. Like the A391 fabroman mentioned, but with much short LOP.

Did you go to PG today fabroman? beautiful day. I would have gone but have some construction going on and needed to be home.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    yeh, thats why I mentioned growing up in rural PA. so easy to just go in yard and shoot. I don't think AGC will let you shoot shotgun at cans, or anything other than the patterning board. hunterjjd mentioned he had place to shoot. I guess not in Howard County

diI ordered some light 20 and 12 gauge shells. I may wait till we go to my mom's in PA. Lock Raven looks nice for $40 to get them started at one of their youth clincs. They don't start till April.

I was at the new Dick's on 40 near 29 (at old Giant location) looking at ammo and looked at guns. they had a gun that I think would be great for them. 20 guage semi, 26" barrel, synthetic stock, light, just over 12" LOP with a recoil pad. $399. T&R imports. looked it up. They import guns from Turkey. This particular one made by Sarsilmaz. I know that the Weatherby SA-08 is Turkish made and it seems to have good reviews. I don't intend to buy it, but the specs seem perfect for youth. Like the A391 fabroman mentioned, but with much short LOP.

Did you go to PG today fabroman? beautiful day. I would have gone but have some construction going on and needed to be home.

Nope, I am stuck behind the computer working today. The impetus for shooting this weekend was started by my brothers talking to my dad about it last weekend. One brother has the Dino show at the DC armory on his calendar today and I have professional photos on my calendar for noon tomorrow. So, I got to enjoy the weather today when my 8 and 5 year old asked me to go outside with them and kick the soccer ball around. Almost had myself a heart attack. Three steps and I was breathing hard. I am way too out of shape for my liking.

By the way, I was somewhat surprised to see that the LOP on that youth Beretta is 13.5". Then again, the LOP on my adult size Berettas is 14.25", so I guess the youth model is shorter. Just not short enough for my son. meant to send out the 28 gauge to get the stock cut down over the summer, but never got around to it. Going to have to try to get that taken care of this spring. Think I am going to set it up for something around 12.5" to 14" for LOP.

Sirex