• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Anyone who's looking to get a little practice in this weekend the Arlington Rifle Pistol Clubs Bust Fest is a great opportunity to shoot a lot of birds cheap. We shoot at the AGC. There will be plenty of members willing to lend a hand and dozens of shotguns for you to try. I always bring at least a case of shot shells and I rarely leave with any.

Sunday, March 8th from 9:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m. – Bust Fest Trap Shoot on Trap 1. The cost is $10 for all the birds (clay pigeons) you want to break. Target loads only – #7.5, #8 or #9 shot with a velocity of 1200 Feet Per Second (FPS) or less.

http://arlingtonrpc.org/

Do you guys do this once a year, or more often than that? March is just a terrible time for me to try and get out shooting. If my wife wasn't working on Sunday, I'd be tempted, extremely tempted, even though I have a vast pile of work to deal with.

possumman

Ultimate Member
    Jan 13, 2011
    Pikesville Md
    Thanx to Arlington at their Bust Fest yesterday at AGC-broke a bunch of clays -ate some bison chili and brats. If anyone wants to shoot at clays in a an informal setting and with any type of shotgun even a riot gun or Kel-tec this is the place to be-it is a regular feature on their schedule. They will throw all you want for as long as you want for $10. Thanx again

shooterhyde

Sep 9, 2013
    Check out Briley Manufacturing's website, they've got nice parts and some good choke charts for reference

Scarab

Apr 5, 2013
    Carroll County, MD
    Gotcha. I understand that now. That's weird. Most clubs have their own facility. Why isn't it just one big club under Marriotsville Gun Range? What good does many different clubs with no physical facility do? I guess I don't understand.

Scarab

We don't own the range but we are one of the charter clubs at the Associated Gun Clubs of Baltimore. Occasionally we have a trap, skeet, or sporting clays shoot at another range.
    http://www.associatedgunclubs.org

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Gotcha. I understand that now. That's weird. Most clubs have their own facility. Why isn't it just one big club under Marriotsville Gun Range? What good does many different clubs with no physical facility do? I guess I don't understand.

Scarab

The range was established back in 1944 by several WWII veterans and some other local clubs. They bought the land and have been using it together. The facility is pretty large. Think there is something close to 60 lanes at the pistol range, 100 lanes at the 100 yard rifle range, 30 lanes at the 200 yard range, and there are 4 traps for trap shooting but there was talk about making trap #1 into 5 stand when I went for my orientation and I would love to see that there. There is an indoor pellet gun range, a patterning board, and a place to shoot archery too. The club even allows bow hunting on the back side of the property.

I have my range badge and am chomping at the bit to get out there once tax season is over.

Start with lessons from a qualified instructor. Best money you can spend. Takes a lot of time and energy to un-learn .
    Get good fundamentals.
    Practice.
    Eventually, get a gun that fits YOU well - after a while you'll have an idea of what you like to shoot - skeet, trap, sporting clays. And then you can choose an appropriate gun - a single, double or semi-auto.
    Take a lesson once in a while to make sure some bad habits haven't crept in over time. A tune-up so to speak.
    Join a league to get you out and shooting regularly.
    frank

Scarab

Apr 5, 2013
    Carroll County, MD
    Start with lessons from a qualified instructor. Best money you can spend. Takes a lot of time and energy to un-learn .
    Get good fundamentals.
    Practice.
    Eventually, get a gun that fits YOU well - after a while you'll have an idea of what you like to shoot - skeet, trap, sporting clays. And then you can choose an appropriate gun - a single, double or semi-auto.
    Take a lesson once in a while to make sure some bad habits haven't crept in over time. A tune-up so to speak.
    frank

Thank you for the sound advice!

Scarab

Jack5j

Nov 29, 2013
    Kent Island
    Get good fundamentals.
    Practice.
    frank

Great advice that I will be taking! I have a Stoeger Competition on the way but have never shot (well, very little). I'll definitely do the lessons. Thanks!

scribe556

Apr 3, 2009
    PG T&S and Bull Run both have minimum barrel length of 23"

However, I don't know how strict they are about that. A 22" one might be close enough.

Many clay sports locations have this 23" minimum barrel length limit. The great advice here is to go and try a class first and shoot all the games. After 300-500 rounds, you'll know what you like for your favorite clay games.

The recommended chokes will vary by the game as others have pointed out. When I've spoken to trap shooters they seem to recommend at least 30" barrels. However, I like 28"
    for an all-around length. You'll see people changing out their chokes when they switch games like from Skeet to Trap. Just shot my first 2 rounds of Wobble Trap in VA last weekend.
    It was a blast and I may have over-choked with IC, M in my upper and lower barrels (upper first) in my CZ. The birds were close and maybe C, IC would have been better.

Good Luck!

Post pics when you get something..

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    The rule is there to keep out yahoos with 18" barrel pistol grip, no stock shotguns.

Show up with a reasonable shotgun, and act like an adult, and you should have no trouble using extended chokes to get the barrel length to around 23".

People are not normally running around with a tape measure checking barrels.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    People are not normally running around with a tape measure checking barrels.

I take it you've never run into a Range Nazi? Some people have nothing better to do with their time so they harass anyone different at the range. While I'm sure that never happens at a skeet/trap range :rolleyes: I just wanted someone else's experience.

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    All the sporting clay clubs ive been to if I asked who the "chief range safety officer" is it would be followed by dead air, and gawking at me.

Pintail Point and Hopkins in MD and every other club I roll into PA.

Don't really have "safety" people out and about creeping on you like at some rifle range.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom