• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wyomingboy

Jan 26, 2009
    Looking to see if there's any interest in some of us getting together to shoot sporting clays at PG County Trap & Skeet sometime in late April. Any day works for me.

For those who have never done this, any gun capable of shooting two shots will work. A round of sporting is 50 targets. Cost is about $20. Shells should be light target loads of #8 or 7 1/2 shot. Most common choke is probably IC.

Leave a reply if interested, with a weekday/weekend preference. This is not an event, just a casual get together for those who shoot a little sporting or for those who would like a low pressure introduction to it.

repair-man

Mar 27, 2007
    SW MD
    I'm game! Any particular reason you want to do PG county's sporting clay course? Pintail point on the eastern shore has an awesome course and very well taken care of. I see you're in the Annapolis area too. It's just over the bridge.

3rdRcn

RIP
    Industry Partner
    Sep 9, 2007
    Harford County
    I would be in for a few rounds! I've only shot it once with Canuck and haoleboy and I had a great time. I also like wabble trap and 5 stand, never shot skeet yet. I love trap but do to work I don't get to shoot it much anymore. I'm good for most any Sunday or Monday. I'll bring my 930 SPX.:D

I think pintail is a bit too pricey for someone wanting to try the sport personally, but I would be okay if it was shot there, I've never been to PG so I wouldn't mind trying it either.

Kevmo

N00b
    Feb 20, 2009
    Severn
    you guys got room for a newbie?...

i've never been but always wanted to try it...

can you rent guns there?

DZ

Ultimate Member
    Oct 9, 2005
    Mount Airy, MD
    you guys got room for a newbie?...

i've never been but always wanted to try it...

can you rent guns there?

Yes, you can rent guns there. They have mostly Berettas of most flavors.

I'd love to make it, havent been out to shoot clays in a loooong time. I think Remington Gun Clubs were $42/flat last time I bought them. Im scared to find out how much they are now :sad20:

count me in, just let me know the day/time... i just picked up a sx3 and haven't had the time to take it out yet over at pg trap & skeet... i pretty much game any of the clay games...

kevmo- hey, don't worry about being a newbie!... i myself am still learning too... shit, if you want to, i could probably meet up with you over there sometime and bust (hopefully) some clay birds... let me know...

haoleboy

1/2 Banned
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 17, 2005
    Dentsville
    The gun club rounds are way more than that now. 2 years ago I bought 800 rounds at Dicks for $2.50/box. They are just light dove loads. 1oz #8. The same shells are now $4.98/box if you buy a case. They are 20 rds/box but at $2.50 that is still cheap.

anywho....I'd be up for some clays. I still have some of that ammo left. Morning is the best time to go to PG. The SC course is set up on the west side of the property. Past 1pm and the difficult thru the woods shots, become Extremely difficult. :D
    Should I bring my AL 391 or the 870 exp with Knoxx stock? :innocent0

See how much easier that was Obi-wan? ;)

Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    Edit-To-Add:
    For those "tactical" shotgunners out there: They have a 23" barrel minimum rule out there. :rolleyes:

Got to leave my 870HD and my 870TK (Turkey Killer) at home...

Good to know. I was interested, but didn't figure my 20" barrel would cut it. A longer barrel is on the list of toys, but I have other priorities at the moment. If I can get my hands on a shottie with a longer barrel, I'd probably make it.

Kevmo

N00b
    Feb 20, 2009
    Severn
    count me in, just let me know the day/time... i just picked up a sx3 and haven't had the time to take it out yet over at pg trap & skeet... i pretty much game any of the clay games...

kevmo- hey, don't worry about being a newbie!... i myself am still learning too... shit, if you want to, i could probably meet up with you over there sometime and bust (hopefully) some clay birds... let me know...

i dont have a shottie... but that would be AWESOME.. do i have to buy their ammo?.. or can i buy my own?... if so.. what kind?.. and where can i get some?... i'm a complete noob when it comes to shotties.. i have seen tons of shottie rounds at wallyworld.... pm sent!

haoleboy

1/2 Banned
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 17, 2005
    Dentsville
    They of course sell ammo at every clays range I have been to but you can certainly bring your own. If you buy it from them (low brass standard target loads) prepare to spend $7/box or more.
    Also, every place I have been to rents guns. You can rent a O/U or a Semi-auto.
    Newbie or not, its alot of fun. And please bring your thick skin, cause the shit talkin' gets crazy. :D Well at least with me.

wyomingboy

Jan 26, 2009
    repair-man, I thought that PG would be more centrally located for most guys. We could shoot anywhere though. PG also has rental guns and prices are a bit better.

Not many mentioned the best time to go. Weekends get pretty crowded. Weekdays are much better. They open at 10am. How about a Monday? How's April 20th? If a weekday doesn't work, Saturdays are usually better than Sundays, as there are usually events of one sort or another.

Someone mentioned shells....you can buy them there or shoot your own. Those Remington dove loads from Dicks would be fine.

I wasn't aware of a bbl length limitation at PG. That might be just for trap because of the noise, or it might be a safety issue. If you want to shoot a short gun, I would call and ask.

Mickey the Dragon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 19, 2009
    Ohio
    As long as I'm not working that weekend, I'm in. I'm picking up my O/U on the 3rd, so that'll give me a week or two to knock the rust off before I start shooting with a Peanut Gallery around.

Luke 12:49

A Good Ole Boy
    Feb 18, 2009
    Culvert County
    I would most definately be down for a weekend...Pintail Point is a beautiful place to shoot at! But I don't know where the place you're talking about in PG county is wyomingboy...I could always mapquest it though...

A weekend would be best for me because of my class schedules and such during the week...but a Saturday or Sunday will do...let us know know man!

haoleboy

1/2 Banned
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 17, 2005
    Dentsville
    PG is central for most of us. Pintail and others on the shore are great but its a drive and a little more pricey but not much.
    I have shot PG and Pintail many times each. Pintail is on a farm and PG is in the woods. The PG sporting clays course, I believe, is much more difficult than Pintail. Hopkins in Kennedyville I think is also in the woods thru a swamp. Very challenging and fun.
    Again, get your ammo from Dicks or Wally world. You can grab one of the 100rd packs for about $20 now right? I remember when they were $14.99. :sad20:

wyomingboy

Jan 26, 2009
    Since there are most likely some that have to work on a Monday, let's call it for Saturday, April 25 @10AM at PG Trap & Skeet. Google it up for directions. Not hard to find... near 295 & the Cap Beltway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom