• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wbwanzer

Feb 4, 2008
    York PA. and loving it
    I just picked up a Ruger M77 Mk II. It seems to be well made and solid as a rock. Granted that I haven't shot it yet, but I'm pretty sure that the trigger is breaking at around 5 or 6 lbs. There is no creep. It's very crisp, just heavier that I'm used to. I don't feel comfortable trying to massage the trigger myself. Who would you recommend as an experienced gunsmith that could lighten the M77 trigger for me. ( I live in the Perry Hall area, so looking for someone in the greater Balto. area, preferably east side of town )

Thanks for any help.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    I personally wouldn't do anything to the trigger, till you actually shoot the rifle. The M77 Mk II series from Ruger can be a cast iron bitch to get replacement parts for, especially the lightweight variant. You'll get used to it, trust me. I got used to it when I was 14.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Five pounds is perfect for a hunting rifle. The trigger should be slightly heavy.

Especially in the winter time when you're wearing heavy gloves. You don't want the rifle to go BOOM when you're not ready.

And when you're hunting, you'll never notice the trigger weight. Five pounds will feel like five ounces.

comikemike

Dec 18, 2013
    Another vote for the Timney--I purchased a KM77MKII in 7mm about 20 years ago and the factory trigger was atrocious. Now, I was (am) not a handy guy at all, and I had zero smithing experience at the time, but I was able to drop the Timney in using only the instructions included in the package. Major improvement to the gun, worth every single cent of the purchase price, and likely much easier to do these days with the All-Knowing-You-Tube-Answer-Machine just waiting to help...

EarnestT

In the hollow
    Aug 18, 2013
    Not in Maryland
    Dealer Name: Hafer's Gunsmithing Inc. (Tim Hafer owner/gunsmith)
    Storefront: YES
    Address:
    15411 National pike
    Hagerstown, MD 21740
    Phone Number: 240-347-4906.
    Fax:240-347-4907

Hours of Operation:
    Mon-Wed 10am till 6pm
    Fri-Thurs 10m till 7pm
    Sat 9am till 5pm
    Sunday Closed

Tim has reworked several triggers for me and I have always been satisfied. He won't make it unsafe just smooth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom