• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Wingnut

Member me?
    Sep 29, 2010
    Easton, MD
    I would like to learn more about competitive and long distance shooting.
    Any suggestions for best books or sites on
    1. marksmanship basics
    2. Competitive shooting ( especially what are all the classes and their rules and weapon requirements)
    3. Using a scope effectively
    4. Long distance shooting
    5. Accuratizing/ optimizing an AR15 for competition
    6. Ballistics
    7. Reloading
    8. Anything else I'm forgetting or that is interesting... I love to read

When I can afford it I do plan on taking some of training offered here by some of the membership/industry partners but it's expensive so not in the near future. Reading is free and I'm going to shoot (at least a little) whether I'm broke or not so I might as study up.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Oct 27, 2008
    Dundalk, Hon!
    For general information, history and just cool stuff to know I recommend Hatcher's Notebook by Julian Hatcher

For reloading, Modern Reloading 2nd Edition by Richard Lee

JamesBailey

Form Factor'ed!
    Jan 28, 2010
    Arlington VA
    6. Ballistics

Applied Ballistics for Long Range Shooting by Bryan Litz.
    There are a few other more technical ballistics books, but I recommend the Litz book over all others as the starting point. If you read that and want more on ballistics come back and I will post the more advanced stuff.

Last edited:

herr.baer

Maryland Escapee
    Dec 27, 2007
    Tennessee
    1. marksmanship basics - Buy an nice .22 rifle and practice practice practice. It is a cheap way to work on all the basics of trigger pull, getting natural point of aim and breathing.

2. Competitive shooting ( especially what are all the classes and their rules and weapon requirements) - NRA Rule Books IDPA Getting started in 3 Gun

3. Using a scope effectively - Shooter Ready will help you learn to use your reticle. You can use the demo to learn some and the price of the program is worth it for practice time when you can't make it to the range.

4. Long distance shooting - If you have a rifle then make it down to Quantico for the Modified Match. Shoot, learn and ask lots of questions. Next save your pennies and take a class with Ed Shell. You can read all you want on this but nothing works better than just going and doing it.

5. Accuratizing/ optimizing an AR15 for competition - Someone else can chime in on this one. I have a plain Jane stock AR with iron sights. Works for me for the times I shoot it.

6. Ballistics - +1 for Applied Ballistics for Long Range Shooting by Bryan Litz. Very informative and easy to read.

7. Reloading- Invest in a copy of The ABC's of Reloading. Read that and then if you have any questions do a search here as they have probably all ready been asked.

Todd v.

Ultimate Member
    Nov 30, 2008
    South Carolina
    Herr.Bear has a great list of reference it's It's good to have a foundation in the theory. But without someone who knows their stuff to show you the way, you can only go so far IMO. A good instructor like Ed Shell or the like can point out your mistakes and directly answer questions you may have unlike a book.

Tactics

Ultimate Member
    Jan 15, 2010
    Happy to be Here
    Somewhere floating around on here is an excellent article by Massad Ayoob where was asked to describe how to be accurate with a pistol in 3000 words. It's a great read and pairs well with his book Combat Handgunnery.

vetts1911

Practical Shooter
    Aug 25, 2008
    Mechanicsville
    I would like to learn more about competitive and long distance shooting.
    Any suggestions for best books or sites on
    2. Competitive shooting ( especially what are all the classes and their rules and weapon requirements)

Thanks for any suggestions.

You may like these....

Practical Shooting, Beyond Fundamentals by Brian Enos

Matt Burkett has a great shooting video set.

For the rules and weapons of a shooting sport you can get a copy of the rule
    book from the web sites. I would do this as the rule and gear change.

10xclean

MDS Supporter
    Dec 23, 2008
    Kingsville
    CMP and NRA Highpower shooting clinic

There is a 2 day clinic being offered at AGC with multiple clubs and organizations helping out. We do this every year. It is free for those under 21, $65 for adults. Rifles will be provided if needed. 1/2 day in classroom, 1/2 day on the range. 1 on 1 coaching from experienced shooters.
    3/26 and 4/2. Well worth attending.

http://www.mdrifleclub.org/activites/HighPowerClinic.html

Wingnut

Member me?
    Sep 29, 2010
    Easton, MD
    There is a 2 day clinic being offered at AGC with multiple clubs and organizations helping out. We do this every year. It is free for those under 21, $65 for adults. Rifles will be provided if needed. 1/2 day in classroom, 1/2 day on the range. 1 on 1 coaching from experienced shooters.
    3/26 and 4/2. Well worth attending.

http://www.mdrifleclub.org/activites/HighPowerClinic.html

Great! I'm in. I will check out links and schedule accordingly. Thankyou.

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    If you can find a copy, The Shotgun Book by Jack O'Connor is a good read. It's from 1965, if I recall, but you can't beat the basics detailed in it.

Our local library here has an original copy that I must have checked out a million times.

Wingnut

Member me?
    Sep 29, 2010
    Easton, MD
    Just got the tiger McKee book at the timonium show, will look out for Yur'yev. I have not spoken with him, but I have checked him out here and on the web and Ed Shell seems like someone I would like to train with. However, he is not free. So it will be some time before I can partake of his services. In the meantime I will read. Study. Dryfire. Rangetime and repeat. Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom