• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GeorgeSSR

Jan 31, 2009
    So I've looking at buying a MPX carbine to Form 1 at a later date and finally found one in stock. Unfortunately the dealer also has an MPX pistol in stock which would be very easy to SBR.

The dumb thing is I don't have my HQL (and I'm really sumb because I'm exempt from the training requirement). The dealer is willing to store it while I get the HQL done, but my bigger question is can I file the Form 1 now after I've purchased it but before I've taken the transfer?

Conversely, if I buy the carbine now, how easy is it to convert to a shorter barrel? Does SIG sell the parts (barrel, handguard, etc.), or do I have to chop it?

AssMan

Meh...
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2011
    Somewhere on the James River, VA
    So I've looking at buying a MPX carbine to Form 1 at a later date and finally found one in stock. Unfortunately the dealer also has an MPX pistol in stock which would be very easy to SBR.

The dumb thing is I don't have my HQL (and I'm really sumb because I'm exempt from the training requirement). The dealer is willing to store it while I get the HQL done, but my bigger question is can I file the Form 1 now after I've purchased it but before I've taken the transfer?

Conversely, if I buy the carbine now, how easy is it to convert to a shorter barrel? Does SIG sell the parts (barrel, handguard, etc.), or do I have to chop it?

I'll preface this by stating that IANAL. That said, I don't see why - if the dealer is willing to go along, you couldn't complete the form 1 before taking possession.

Edit: I see you posted in Duffy's forum about their MPX. If you're planning to buy from them, why not just ask them? I'm sure you aren't the first one in this predicament.

GeorgeSSR

Jan 31, 2009
    Edit: I see you posted in Duffy's forum about their MPX. If you're planning to buy from them, why not just ask them? I'm sure you aren't the first one in this predicament.

I posted in there to see if they would answer how they hit the 29" OAL online (note: somebody else asked a very similar question in the first response, AFAIK it's still unanswered unless they PM'ed). I called them last month when they posted their NFA thread and never got a call back.

It's actually a different dealer and the price difference is ~$1,000. Assuming the stock is ~$200 and the tax stamp is the same (does a SOT pay to manufacture?) I'm trying to figure out what the other $600 is for. I'd be more than happy to buy from them if it made sense, but I can also get a custom muzzle device made and permanently affixed for ~250 and have the thing while my Form 1 is pending.

md_al

Apr 25, 2014
    Middle River
    Weber is testing a SDTA extended muzzle brake/potential suppressor (at the $100 Suppressor thread). Would it run afoul of the law if you buy a pistol... file an Form 1 for Suppressor... and have the muzzle brake (once available) welded to make barrel length of 16"? Once it breaches 16" you could add a stock and it becomes a rifle.

If things fall as planned you may end up with a suppressed MPX with a 16" barrel. If things don't pan out you can always file for a refund on the Form 1. If your not into the Suppressor game then skip my post. :)

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    There is a way to get it to 29"....pics of one version below. Duffys has another option it stock, we'll they did a few weeks ago when I was in there. There version folded and you could use any AR stock you wanted

GeorgeSSR

Jan 31, 2009
    Weber is testing a SDTA extended muzzle brake/potential suppressor (at the $100 Suppressor thread). Would it run afoul of the law if you buy a pistol... file an Form 1 for Suppressor... and have the muzzle brake (once available) welded to make barrel length of 16"? Once it breaches 16" you could add a stock and it becomes a rifle.

If things fall as planned you may end up with a suppressed MPX with a 16" barrel. If things don't pan out you can always file for a refund on the Form 1. If your not into the Suppressor game then skip my post. :)

That sounds suspiciously like what Sig was trying to do with their original muzzle brake that went to court. Interesting.

There is a way to get it to 29"....pics of one version below. Duffys has another option it stock, we'll they did a few weeks ago when I was in there. There version folded and you could use any AR stock you wanted

<Removed pics of awesomely long stock>

That's pretty good, I think this is a great contender.

TheDevilHimself

, Duffy's Gun Room
    Industry Partner
    Jul 15, 2011
    Sparks, MD
    I posted in there to see if they would answer how they hit the 29" OAL online (note: somebody else asked a very similar question in the first response, AFAIK it's still unanswered unless they PM'ed). I called them last month when they posted their NFA thread and never got a call back.

It's actually a different dealer and the price difference is ~$1,000. Assuming the stock is ~$200 and the tax stamp is the same (does a SOT pay to manufacture?) I'm trying to figure out what the other $600 is for. I'd be more than happy to buy from them if it made sense, but I can also get a custom muzzle device made and permanently affixed for ~250 and have the thing while my Form 1 is pending.

I'm not sure about what the other dealer had at a price point of $1250, but our math is pretty straightforward- the SIG MPX SBR retails for $2000, and I had to add a title II arms stock/adapter(whick costs $229=$12 S&H) to get it to 29", along with sending corrections along to the ATF to show the revised length, hence our price of $2250.

As you stated, you could pick up a pistol, buy the appropriate parts, file a form 1 and engrave it yourself to save a few bucks.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    A factory SBR w/o your info engraved on it will ALWAYS be worth more if ever sold. Sig, Kriss, etc are all the same. Factory guns command a premium.

Edit: Sounds like Sig is selling parts (source: arfcom) but they are very expensive. Something like $400 for a bbl assembly. So currently it may be less expensive to cut what you've got vs getting a replacement.

GeorgeSSR

Jan 31, 2009
    I'm not sure about what the other dealer had at a price point of $1250, but our math is pretty straightforward- the SIG MPX SBR retails for $2000, and I had to add a title II arms stock/adapter(whick costs $229=$12 S&H) to get it to 29", along with sending corrections along to the ATF to show the revised length, hence our price of $2250.

As you stated, you could pick up a pistol, buy the appropriate parts, file a form 1 and engrave it yourself to save a few bucks.

Awesome, thanks. If Blue Dot keeps their appointment tomorrow I should be able to come out and visit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Markmcgrrr

Latest threads

Top Bottom