• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • acwatkins

Aug 29, 2013
    Glen Burnie
    Im thinking about getting a crossbow but have no idea what to look for or which ones are good or bad. I have a really nice guitar im gonna try to trade for one at a pawn shop maybe. What should I look for? Which brands are best?

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    just got a ten point and like it.

like guns.. its personl pref which brands to go with.

google best crossbow.. and decide then.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Parker, Barnett, Ten Point all are good names.

Look for the fastest FPS you can afford, to alleviate deer jumping the string.

TwinTurboDiesel

Hellbilly Punk
    May 21, 2012
    Bel Air, MD
    I just got a Parker Thunderhawk.... I love the thing. It fits me well, light weight and extremely accurate at 50yds. (I can but won't go any farther)

Ten Point/Horton/Wicked Ridge and Excalibur have lifetime warranties..... Parker stopped their lifetime warranty in 2012 or so.

The Parker fit my price range as well.

I stole this from another site but this is info that I used when making my decision,

"Don't listen to the hype on this site, go out and try every crossbow you can get your hands on, it has to fit and feel good to you. I can tell you, the Ten Points, The CamX, The Scorpyd, The Parker, The Barnett, The Middleton, The Excalibur , The Kodabow, The PSE and The Mission all are good products, most have had issues and have resolved them. Just because I shoot a certain Bow due to liking it and it fits me, doesn't mean it will fit you or that you will like it, stay away from the BowTech Striker etc. lousy CS and problems."

A friend and I were shooting our bows a few days ago. He had a vertical compound (Mathews, yellow) @ 30yds, and my thunderhawk @ 50 (parker, red)

9660da90c60cd290a8675dd3d6589b01.jpg

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Older Horton Legend HD175s are fantastic crossbows.

With a fixed 4 power scope you can hit golf ball sized targets all day long at 20 yards.

rem87062597

Annapolis, MD
    Jul 13, 2012
    What's the difference between an expensive crossbow and a mid range crossbow? I guess I just don't understand the need to buy a premium one and what extra that would get me.

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    Another Excalibur fan here. I like the simplicity of the recurve.

As to what more $$ gets you aside from some things where were already mentioned; more speed and accuracy also.

GUNSnROTORS

nude member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 7, 2013
    hic sunt dracones
    OP, Economy can be synonymous with slow and loud - a bad combination. Do your homework.

Excalibur here too, reliable, accurate, and fast - but expensive and loud. Lots of options out there for vibration dampening and noise reduction without robbing speed (I use Limbsaver products).

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I don't like used x-bows. They tend to get dry fired a lot. Pawn the geetar and buy the best bow you can afford IMHO.

lawrencewendall

Been There, Done That
    Oct 10, 2009
    A got a used/like new Excalibur AXIOM Crossbow off ebay a couple of years ago for $400 and I love it. In groups of 3 bolts, I have to shoot at 40 yds or I keep hitting my own bolts.

mark71211

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2012
    Edgewater
    Your in glen Burnie so go stop by macrotech. He has a bunch of different brand of xbows and you should be able to shoot them to see which feels right to you.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    What's the difference between an expensive crossbow and a mid range crossbow? I guess I just don't understand the need to buy a premium one and what extra that would get me.

More bells and whistles. Like firearms...better triggers, better, more durable parts/manufacturing, better drawing aids, higher speeds, better warranties, better sights/optics, etc. Pretty much you pay what you get for.;)

HogCommander

Aug 10, 2013
    Texas Hill Country
    Been happy with Barnett Jackall...315fps (advertised) and can be had for around $300 if you buy online. It's significantly louder than vertical bows but I limit my shots to about 30 yds to reduce the chance of deer jumping the string. Has a smooth 3.5 lb trigger and you can choose between a scope or a red/green dot sight. I got the dot sight and pleased overall but wonder if the scope would be more helpful in low light conditions. May scope it someday.

Last edited:

Chris

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jun 21, 2005
    Cecil Co, Maryland
    I don't like used x-bows. They tend to get dry fired a lot.

A newer used brand name crossbow will have an anti dry lever that makes it unable to dry fire without a bolt in place. Easy to tell, if you look at the space in between the rail just above the trigger there should be a lever which once the bolt is in place allows it to be fired. Note some bow brands (Barnett & maybe others) will also have trigger safety in same area. Crossbows like other bows once dry fired could have cracks in the limbs or they explode/shatter upon firing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom