• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Doctortoxic

The Dose Makes The Poison
    Apr 18, 2019
    CalvinBallistan
    If you are a C&R registered over at Century, they have Aluminum frame Walther p38s available. They say very good condition from 1960s and 70s.

The Saint

Black Powder Nerd/Resident Junk Collector
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 10, 2021
    Baltimore County
    I have one from 1978 available if anyone is looking...since I got my wartime P38 I am no longer shooting it. ;) The hex reinforcement bolt makes it stronger than an original to shoot, to boot.

Jul 1, 2012
    The hex pin does not make it stronger, it actually makes the frame weaker. What the pin does is add a steel surface to push the lock block up as the slide and barrel go forward into battery. This was to address issues with the aluminum frame wearing prematurely after lots of rounds through it. It's still a good upgrade but don't mistake it for allowing you to shoot heavier or hotter loads in the gun. Don't put heavier than stock recoil springs in it either.

There wasn't a lot of info on their site about what these are, the picture shown is an interesting "E" suffix (export) but has the earlier "thin" slide and probably the cast (weaker) locking block. P38s at this point were the commercial product and P1 were police/military (for the most part). So more than likely these aren't arsenal rebuilds if they are commercial pistols (which also means they aren't C&R if dated after 1973).

LS1

Jun 19, 2010
    Not So Free State
    P1's are c&r as long as they were produced for military, police, or other government entities - it's in the book. Date does not matter.

Jul 1, 2012
    That's true. And as far as I know all P1's are military/police/gov't.
    But (commercial) P38's after 1973 are not C&R, and the Century offerings are listed as "P38" so it remains to be seen.
    Some P38-marked slides show up on military contract/police contract guns (or were swapped in) so it makes it even more confusing.

Jul 1, 2012
    589 plus 14 for shipping.
    That's not a bad price at all nowadays, I wouldn't be surprised if a dealer(s) bought them up.
    Hopefully they don't have the horrid CAI billboard import mark...
    a while back they got in a large batch and mixed in with them were about 70-80 Portuguese contract P.38's shown below (super-rare, and that small batch is likely the only one that exists as the Portuguese destroyed them). But sometimes it's the only option.
    5.JPG

Doctortoxic

The Dose Makes The Poison
    Apr 18, 2019
    CalvinBallistan
    Center fire just opened up sales of their batch, which appear to have been imported by CAI. The import stamp they show is under the slide. There’s are going for 550 but are listed as good. I’m wondering if CA handpicked the really good ones and are selling those on their website because those are listed as very good. I guess we will see when pics start rolling in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom