• ...and so much more!
  • fd318

Mar 22, 2010
    Upper Fells Point
    How do I do it?

Here are more details:
    I live in Baltimore City (SE).
    I live 3 blocks away from my work.
    My boss has granted me his approval to CCW inside the building.

Can I legally put an unloaded gun in a backpack, bag, suit case, whatever and walk to work? Walking 1-4 blocks getting my car, driving back to my house, getting my gun, then going to work... only to repeat this again going home... plus, there isn't much parking late at night when I get off. So that's out of the question.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    First... check the regs (state and local).

I only know couple ways that you're allowed. Carry permit... or..

You being the owner of the business.. or is employed as supervisory position. (Need to check again).

As far as walking.... I say its legal as long you follow the transport law.

Unloaded, in an enclosed case or holster. Separated from the ammo.. in its own case.

(Disclaimer... not a lawyer. . What I posted is what I think.. seek prof. Advice from a lawyer... yada yada...)

Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013
    BGOS

Assuming your employer can authorize you . . . if you'd have to walk up to four blocks to get to your parked car, and you can walk only 3 blocks to work, why is this a question? There is nothing, to my knowledge, illegal about carrying a properly cased pistol from your front door to your car. What if you didn't own a car? Think about it. For example, can you carry a new pistol in a case out of Bass Pro to your car in the parking lot the equivalent of several blocks away? Can the Fed-X man stop on the public street, get out of his van with your pistol being returned from service and deliver it to you? I just don't see the issue provided it is unloaded and properly cased, and ammo is clearly separate. Of course, I wouldn't stop at the local gin mill, or even a store on my way home.

Seagrave1963

Still learnin'
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 6, 2011
    Eastern Shore
    There is enough at stake here (incarceration!) that it probably warrants as a question directly to the Attorney Generals office. It does require that the request be made by the Chief Executive or presiding officer of the jurisdiction. (Can a local government official request an Opinion of the Attorney General?
    The Attorney General has undertaken a program of assistance to local governments to help resolve legal matters involving substantial issues of State law. To ensure that we can provide such assistance within the resources of this Office, we have adopted certain guidelines. Under those guidelines, a request by a local government for an Opinion of the Attorney General must be made by the chief executive of the local government or by the presiding officer of the local legislative body on behalf of the entire body. The request must involve substantial questions of State law with ramifications beyond the specific local facts giving rise to the request. Finally, the request must be accompanied by the opinion and legal analysis of the legal adviser to the local government.)

You may actually get guidance from your State's Attorney.

foodpoison

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2013
    the Dena
    could you lock it up at work so you wouldn't have to transport twice a day?(i didn't answer your question)

amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    My guess is if asked, the attorney general will answer in such a way as to discourage you from being able to carry.

Mind all of you that while it would make sense since bipedal locomotion is our primary means of conveyance as humans, that there would be some sort of way to transport a firearm while walking around, as opposed to in a car.

However, this is Maryland, and depending on the officer asking the questions, there can be a lot of ways for you to be hamstrung on technicalities that the spirit of the law does not allow for.

Be careful.

That said, if you request advice, do not include the information that this is a means to the end of carrying at your work with your employers permission. If the question is couched in such a way as to be purely a transportational issue, I think you have a much better chance of getting a favorable answer.

As far as I know, when it comes to businesses, they are the property of the owner, and on private property he or anyone he designates can carry a weapon.

Chris0nllyn

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 6, 2012
    Calvert County
    First thing's first, get your boss to make you a "supervisor", as I believe that's the wording in the bill.

You should be ok carrying at work, as a few business owners/workers in recent history have not had charges brought against them when faced with an intruder.

I'm not lawyer though.

lsw

לא לדרוך עליי
    Sep 2, 2013
    This won't answer your question, but about 30 years ago I had a part-time bartending job about 4 blocks from my home. It was a rough neighborhood and the bar had been robbed a few times. The owner kept a revolver behind the bar when he worked but gave me permission to bring my own pistol if I preferred to. I convinced more than one young lady to walk home with me by asking her for the favor of carrying my ammo home so i wouldn't have any on me with the pistol... :)

Straightshooter

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2010
    Baltimore County
    The problem comes with the destination. Transport laws allow you to move the gun only to certain destinations, such as the range,to a gunsmith, or a sporting event. Your work location is not an approved destination, unless you get a Designated Collector status and then you can take all or part of your collection to work to show your boss as many days as you like.

fd318

Mar 22, 2010
    Upper Fells Point
    First thing's first, get your boss to make you a "supervisor", as I believe that's the wording in the bill.

I'm a "manager." So no worries there.

unless you get a Designated Collector status and then you can take all or part of your collection to work to show your boss as many days as you like.

Already a Designated Collector.

There is enough at stake here (incarceration!) that it probably warrants as a question directly to the Attorney Generals office. It does require that the request be made by the Chief Executive or presiding officer of the jurisdiction. (Can a local government official request an Opinion of the Attorney General?
    The Attorney General has undertaken a program of assistance to local governments to help resolve legal matters involving substantial issues of State law. To ensure that we can provide such assistance within the resources of this Office, we have adopted certain guidelines. Under those guidelines, a request by a local government for an Opinion of the Attorney General must be made by the chief executive of the local government or by the presiding officer of the local legislative body on behalf of the entire body. The request must involve substantial questions of State law with ramifications beyond the specific local facts giving rise to the request. Finally, the request must be accompanied by the opinion and legal analysis of the legal adviser to the local government.)

You may actually get guidance from your State's Attorney.

Ah, is there a good way of finding out who that might be and whatnot? My googlefu outside of technical matters, and in this case, legal matters falls short. I was thinking someone just calls me some simple names and posts a link to a letter that was already written by the AG. (Like carrying loaded mags.)

Thank you all for your help. I'll keep up with this thread a bit... the other question is the public side walk considered part of the building? So if I walk outside ccw, am I breaking a law? (My gut says no.) The building is a row home in the city... if you were wondering. My rights are too important to me to lose it over a technicality.

Crab Bait

Ultimate Member
    Mar 2, 2011
    Pasadena
    The problem comes with the destination. Transport laws allow you to move the gun only to certain destinations, such as the range,to a gunsmith, or a sporting event. Your work location is not an approved destination, unless you get a Designated Collector status and then you can take all or part of your collection to work to show your boss as many days as you like.

Law doesn't say "Designated Collector" - it says "bona fide." Don't want to argue how screwed you would be in either case, just pointing that out because I see references to DC a lot pertaining to the law and it shouldn't be interpreted that way. Bona fide wouldn't require any special status, it would just need to be true that you are a collector.

Also, the op and the bartender story made me think he could leave ammo at home and at work and not transport any with the gun.

Mr H

Unincited Co-Conservative
    could you lock it up at work so you wouldn't have to transport twice a day?(i didn't answer your question)

Actually, this was my thought as well.

Secure, on-site storage, IMO is the ideal solution.

(assuming the OP is in a "supervisory" role)

Transport to a place where you are legally allowed to.
    Carry on-site by law.
    Store while not there.
    Transport home (legally) for extended absences.

IANAL

Straightshooter

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2010
    Baltimore County
    You are correct, the law does not use the term Designated Collector but the paperwork to show that you are a "Bona fide" collector does. Next time you're stopped while carrying your guns down the street just tell the cop and the district attorney that you are a "bona fide" collector. See you in a couple of years or at least a few thousand dollars lighter. No sense arguing over something that's free for the asking.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    I would consult an attorney first. Your use of your DC status to legitimize transport to your job is questionable at best and I wouldn't use it as a defense. It could easily be picked apart by a prosecuting attorney IMO.

And as a correction, there is nothing in MD transport statute about ammo being kept separate, other than not in the firearm. Just for the record.

IANAL.

MikeTF

Ultimate Member
    I believe that your place of business is allowed if you are a business owner or a principal in the company.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    I'm a "manager." So no worries there.

Already a Designated Collector.

Ah, is there a good way of finding out who that might be and whatnot? My googlefu outside of technical matters, and in this case, legal matters falls short. I was thinking someone just calls me some simple names and posts a link to a letter that was already written by the AG. (Like carrying loaded mags.)

Thank you all for your help. I'll keep up with this thread a bit... the other question is the public side walk considered part of the building? So if I walk outside ccw, am I breaking a law? (My gut says no.) The building is a row home in the city... if you were wondering. My rights are too important to me to lose it over a technicality.

Then you have come to the right place for advice. When you need advice on what gun to buy or how to shoot said gun, call an attorney's office.

If you really want to have this question vetted as much as possible on this board, you might want to post it in the Maryland 2A forum. More discussion of legal matters in that forum versus here.

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD

this.

bolt down a gun safe at work and leave it there.

Crab Bait

Ultimate Member
    Mar 2, 2011
    Pasadena
    You are correct, the law does not use the term Designated Collector but the paperwork to show that you are a "Bona fide" collector does. Next time you're stopped while carrying your guns down the street just tell the cop and the district attorney that you are a "bona fide" collector. See you in a couple of years or at least a few thousand dollars lighter. No sense arguing over something that's free for the asking.

Sorry, I didn't know there was paperwork to show that you are a bona fide collector - could you link to that so I can see what you are talking about?

Straightshooter

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2010
    Baltimore County
    Actually, this was my thought as well.

Secure, on-site storage, IMO is the ideal solution.

(assuming the OP is in a "supervisory" role)

Carry on-site by law.
    Store while not there.
    Transport home (legally) for extended absences.

IANAL

H,
    Carry on-site by law is FOPA and has no bearing in MD. If he doesn't have ownership in the business, he can't transport between home and work.

Here's the wording in FAS 2013
    (3) the carrying of a handgun on the person or in a vehicle while the
    22 person is transporting the handgun to or from the place of legal purchase or sale, or to
    23 or from a bona fide repair shop, or between bona fide residences of the person, or
    24 between the bona fide residence and place of business of the person, if the business is
    25 operated and owned substantially by the person
    if each handgun is unloaded and
    26 carried in an enclosed case or an enclosed holster;

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom