• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • songlaw

Aug 2, 2017
    Clarksville
    Mine came in today's mail. Three months and 3 days. Turned in the app in person Jan 29th. I never would have believed that I'd have a DC permit, especially when I don't qualify for one in my home state. It's kind of anticlimactic... honestly I really don't give a sh!t one way or the other. Can't imagine a good reason to go through DC, other than the 1 or 2 times a year I used to drive over to the Chantilly show, and now that the admission is $16, there's even less of a reason to go there. Still, it'll be nice to have the option if a reason ever comes up.

Mr. Ed: Although we took the class at the same time, my application was in almost 2 months before yours. Glad for you, but this is disconcerting. It should not be this difficult.

Mr. Ed

This IS my Happy Face
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2009
    Edgewater
    Mr. Ed, congrats!
    I will ask the same question as in post #96.

Who the hell did you have to fellate?
    I'm afraid that opportunity never came up presented itself. :sad20:

I might give that method consideration IF it would guarantee me an unrestricted MD permit, cause that's probably the only way I'll ever get one. :innocent0
    Mr. Ed: Although we took the class at the same time, my application was in almost 2 months before yours. Glad for you, but this is disconcerting. It should not be this difficult.
    I provided a metric crap ton of qualifications and certifications, WAY more stuff than they requested, and although I didn't provide 'lip service' to anyone, I poured on my "Aw shucks, Ma'am" country charm to the nice lady in the window. I thought Jimboy was going to either puke or die laughing, but WTF, it's my schtick, and it works. Sometimes. And it doesn't require a three martini mouthwash afterwards. If anyone's interested, that martini joke 'might' get told at the pig roast. Might throw in the Leprechaun joke for good measure. And with enough alcoholic encouragement, I'll follow up with the secretary joke. :rolleyes:

Mr. Ed

This IS my Happy Face
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2009
    Edgewater
    Good for you Mr. Ed and congrats.

Thanks. I wish I felt like celebrating, but it's kind of a non-event.

Is there a link to places in DC that are either prohibited or good to go? I half expected that info to be in the letter that came with the permit. Silly me... why would they make it easy. What would be really nice is if there were an app that would map out safe routes and locations through the city.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Here's the list of prohibited places. It's not as bad as the list John Lott published a while back. That was in error.

Note that carry in restaurants serving alcohol is legal as long as you don't drink.

Attachments

• DC prohibited locations.pdf
      117.1 KB · Views: 213

Mr. Ed

This IS my Happy Face
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2009
    Edgewater
    Here's the list of prohibited places. It's not as bad as the list John Lott published a while back. That was in error.

Note that carry in restaurants serving alcohol is legal as long as you don't drink.

Many thanks! :thumbsup:

songlaw

Aug 2, 2017
    Clarksville
    Got back from following the Orioles out to Anaheim and Oakland. Disappointing trip.
    However, when I checked my mail, my DC Permit finally arrived! Just shy of 5 months. An absurdly long time.

I was surprised they sent the carry permit and another permit for registration of my firearm. I suppose that means that, if I wanted to refister more firearms, I would get a card for each firearm?

Mr. Ed

This IS my Happy Face
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2009
    Edgewater
    Got back from following the Orioles out to Anaheim and Oakland. Disappointing trip.
    However, when I checked my mail, my DC Permit finally arrived! Just shy of 5 months. An absurdly long time.

I was surprised they sent the carry permit and another permit for registration of my firearm. I suppose that means that, if I wanted to refister more firearms, I would get a card for each firearm?

Yep.

Edit: BTW, congratulations!

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013

Patience is a virtue. I'm on month eight now waiting for a Maryland review. My renewal will probably trigger the review request again, so I'll have two spots in that queue working.

songlaw

Aug 2, 2017
    Clarksville
    WTH?

I received my permit two weeks ago. Couple of days ago, got a voice mail from officer King, asking mr to return the call.
    I call him back, and he says he is doing an audit. He asks if I received my permit, b/c their records do not reflect whether it was issued or not! He also asked for the issue date, b/c they have no idea.

I waited 5 months for the permit, but they don’t know what’s going on! Kinda worrisome.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Typical DC Govt. incompetence.

When there are lowered standards and no accountability-this is what you get.

I'm not casting aspersions on the rank and file street cops either. Just the bureaucracy and the refusal to hold people accountable..

My. .02

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    Typical DC Govt. incompetence.

When there are lowered standards and no accountability-this is what you get.

I'm not casting aspersions on the rank and file street cops either. Just the bureaucracy and the refusal to hold people accountable..

My. .02

DC was issuing duplicate license plate numbers a few years back. Friend of mine left DC, and turned his plate in. An argument ensued of his real identity. After a few minutes someone else took over and told him, yeah, we've had some duplicates.

rascal

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013

yes and you must carry it. The old paper registrations were not as durable, but since it said a "copy" could be used it was convenient to make a bunch of copies, stick one for each firearm in your safe, one for each in your wallet, and one for each in your car. With the card the regs look to be changed and you must car the original

People might consider if you lose your reg and ccl cards you could get duplicates and if you found them later, you have two of each. We simply don't know whether the district would charge you with a gun crime for the sole infraction of not having them in your possession even though you can bet you would come up on their computer as current and legit.

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake

Yes. You can carry as many different firearms as you wish to register. The first one was free with your permit, subsequent registrations are $13/ea.

songlaw

Aug 2, 2017
    Clarksville
    Way to carry more than two (10 round) mags?

Yes. You can carry as many different firearms as you wish to register. The first one was free with your permit, subsequent registrations are $13/ea.

This would not be the cheapest, but...
    Say I register 2 firearms in DC. Am allowed to carry two 10 round mags per firearm? Interchangeable mags, for sake of argument. Say I lock one in a portable safe in the trunk, basically forget about it.

Can I carry/transport 40 rounds (in 4 mags), defeating the 20 round limit? Or is it 20 rounds, regardless of how many registered firearms that one is carrying?

Just wondering...

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    This would not be the cheapest, but...
    Say I register 2 firearms in DC. Am allowed to carry two 10 round mags per firearm? Interchangeable mags, for sake of argument. Say I lock one in a portable safe in the trunk, basically forget about it.

Can I carry/transport 40 rounds (in 4 mags), defeating the 20 round limit? Or is it 20 rounds, regardless of how many registered firearms that one is carrying?

Just wondering...

Extra points given for creativity but no. 20 rounds total or one reload is the way the law is written. If you carry 10+1 your spare mag must also be downloaded to 9.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom