• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • omegaZ87

Apr 26, 2013
    Maryland
    Just got back from the range with my new Waffen Werks Ak74 and wanted to ask some advice.

I noticed several FTFs with this rifle - I was wondering if anyone else has a Waffen Werks that had similar issues and knows a way to fix this.

I was using WPA non-corrosive ammo with Bulgarian circle10 mags.

Any advice would be helpful.

I saw this video on youtube as a possible explanation, but my safety doesn't seem to be as misaligned as the one in the vid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxiU3oSSCPc

omegaZ87

Apr 26, 2013
    Maryland
    you always seem to get the lemons you had the crappy wasr-10 right? WW Quality control and really fallen off lately

Tell me about it! :sad20: The whole reason I chose the AK platform to spend the big bucks on was because of the reported reliability. So far the budget AR I have has been 100 times more reliable than my AK74.

However, I will say that I got back the Wasr-10 from Century Arms (after they had it for 3 months) and it seems to be 100% functional now. :) I put about 60 rounds through it with not issues.

BLACKTALON

Ammo is like food
    Aug 4, 2011
    severna park
    Tell me about it! :sad20: The whole reason I chose the AK platform to spend the big bucks on was because of the reported reliability. So far the budget AR I have has been 100 times more reliable than my AK74.

However, I will say that I got back the Wasr-10 from Century Arms (after they had it for 3 months) and it seems to be 100% functional now. :) I put about 60 rounds through it with not issues.
    gota do the research my man They built good crap till they became popular then Quietly fell off

Scott7891

Love those Combloc guns
    Sep 4, 2007
    Back in MD sadly

Hate to say it but you don't have AK reliability because you bought it from an American mass-produced company like Century thinking you were getting a deal.

Unless one is an individual gunsmith or very small company Americans don't know squat on how to build a quality AK. This has to do with several factors being that to build a quality AK up to actual factory standards a company has to pay a lot of money on a foreign design that isn't economically efficient here. AR's are cheaper than others because it is a domestic design, the military uses it here, and every gun company and their mother builds one so the market is artificially flooded with them.

Another is ignorant arrogance of the AK being a cheap, commie, POS that anyone can build. Well if that is what it is why can't you American companies make a quality AK that puts Kalashnikov Group (formerly Izhmash), Arsenal, Cugir, and Zastava to shame? I have yet to see one that doesn't use an out-of-spec receiver or messes up on a Nodak Spud receiver one of the few things an American company gets right with AK's, ejector, gas-hole drilled too big, pitiful rivet job, substandard barrel quality, I could go on.

The final reason ties into the fact that because it is an AK people think it should be a $100 gun like in the Third World. Well this isn't the Third World, the AK is in higher demand here, and our gun control laws/tariffs/American standard of living for workers/companies dictates why AK prices are off the charts here which is why an Arsenal costs the way it does.

Sorry for the rant but too many Americans arrogantly think that an AK should be $100 then they bitch and moan when that American company fails to deliver on their expectations. Then they scoff at Arsenal and others costing as much as they do. Well those overpriced Arsenals use quality AK components the first time and don't jam because they were built by people building them since the 60's whereas these American upstarts only started barely a decade ago trying to cut corners thinking they can do it better (like I.O. Inc. did saying their guns were better than those that came out of Izhmash :lol2:).

If you want to be mad at someone don't blame me for pointing out the obvious but blame your government for making the situation we have now for what it is.

omegaZ87

Apr 26, 2013
    Maryland
    Hate to say it but you don't have AK reliability because you bought it from an American mass-produced company like Century thinking you were getting a deal.

Unless one is an individual gunsmith or very small company Americans don't know squat on how to build a quality AK. This has to do with several factors being that to build a quality AK up to actual factory standards a company has to pay a lot of money on a foreign design that isn't economically efficient here. AR's are cheaper than others because it is a domestic design, the military uses it here, and every gun company and their mother builds one so the market is artificially flooded with them.

Another is ignorant arrogance of the AK being a cheap, commie, POS that anyone can build. Well if that is what it is why can't you American companies make a quality AK that puts Kalashnikov Group (formerly Izhmash), Arsenal, Cugir, and Zastava to shame? I have yet to see one that doesn't use an out-of-spec receiver or messes up on a Nodak Spud receiver one of the few things an American company gets right with AK's, ejector, gas-hole drilled too big, pitiful rivet job, substandard barrel quality, I could go on.

The final reason ties into the fact that because it is an AK people think it should be a $100 gun like in the Third World. Well this isn't the Third World, the AK is in higher demand here, and our gun control laws/tariffs/American standard of living for workers/companies dictates why AK prices are off the charts here which is why an Arsenal costs the way it does.

Sorry for the rant but too many Americans arrogantly think that an AK should be $100 then they bitch and moan when that American company fails to deliver on their expectations. Then they scoff at Arsenal and others costing as much as they do. Well those overpriced Arsenals use quality AK components the first time and don't jam because they were built by people building them since the 60's whereas these American upstarts only started barely a decade ago trying to cut corners thinking they can do it better (like I.O. Inc. did saying their guns were better than those that came out of Izhmash :lol2:).

If you want to be mad at someone don't blame me for pointing out the obvious but blame your government for making the situation we have now for what it is.

Everything you are saying makes perfect sense. What really sucks is that I paid a premium price for a bottom of the barrel gun ($1000 for the WASR-10)

After having a terrible experience with that rifle, even though its functioning fine now, I decided to do my research and get a better quality rife for the AK74 I wanted without getting ripped off. I decided on going with the Waffen Werks because 90% of the reviews on it were positive and I saw names like James Yaeger endorsing it. So I was really shocked to find myself having issues with that rifle.

At this point I don't want to spend too much more money. Century was kind enough to fix the WASR to 100% functionality (even though it took them 3 months)

I am just wondering what can be done with the Waffen Werks. I need to go to the range again and inspect the ammo as some suggested. I might put some of the corrosive ammo through it as well to see if the performs better as well as buying a few other brands and grains and trying them out.

...fingers crossed!

AlpineDude67

Feb 17, 2013
    Oh what a bummer. I had basically the exact same decision to make last September and went a different way. I was originally thinking I'd get a WW, but I got one of the Bulgarian CHF barrel kits put together by Engage instead. It was more than the WW, but after getting advice from Scott and some others on here that know way more about AKs than me, I decided I had better step up a notch just because the gun can't be replaced now. It is really too bad you didn't see that thread.

For what it's worth - I think the corrosive 7N6 is what you want to shoot out of it 99% of the time anyway. You can shoot 7N6 until you don't want to anymore - not because it is too expensive to keep going. It is absolutely fine ammo and so much cheaper than anything else. You just follow Clandestine's advice on cleaning - shooting corrosive isn't that big a deal once you understand what is required.

So if it cycles 7N6 correctly - I probably wouldn't worry about anything else.

But if it doesn't cycle the corrosive surplus stuff in the spam cans reliably - that is a huge issue and you should send it back to WW and have them make it right for you. Send it back soon so you'll have it back in time for better weather.

Soul Rebel

Mar 8, 2013
    Its an out of spec WW receiver causing your problems. they use to make good rifles with NDS receivers, but switched over to producing their own without telling anyone. Scott's point about Americans ****ing up AKs is 100% spot on. The myth and expectation of the AK being an inaccurate piece of shit that is inferior to the almighty AR-15 is killing is the US AK market. any experience with a milled bulgarian rifle, or a correct Saiga conversion will blow this myth out of the water. so lets not confuse the reliability issues with the design. i have a couple commbloc rifles and i have never had a malfunction. thats one reason i would never buy a US rifle, no need to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom