• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    Today, thanks to the absolutely outstanding generosity of a fellow collector, I received a package in the mail that ended a many year search for the bits required to make a regular VZ58 into a VZ58 Pi. What's that?? It's the infrared scope version of the regular VZ58. It looks like this:

The conical flash hider isn't very hard to find. The infrared scope (just a Czech built NSP-2) isn't too hard to find either. The part that is unobtanium is the scope rail that mounts on the rifle's receiver. After looking for years upon years, I had pretty much given up and thought I would never find one. Even pictures of the rail are like hens teeth. I couldn't even figure out how it was mounted to the receiver. I've only ever found a couple pictures and close-up detailed pictures of it are seemingly nonexistent......until now.

It turns out that the rail is riveted to the receiver just like an AK rail. It obviously uses four rivets. The other three holes are for the fire control group pins to pass through. The pictures I did find online don't show rivets though so maybe they are ground flush after it's attached to the receiver.

Here's the back of the rail:

The bottom of the rail is at the top of the picture. It's contoured to match the coutours of the receiver so that it screws down solid and true. The gloopy looking stuf to the right of the picture is paint the typical grey/blue Czech paint.

The front end of the rail:

And the rear end:

Another angle of the inside rear:

Inside bottom:

Front again:

And rear again:

In its proper position on the rifle:

You cannot mount a folding stock with this rail in place.

A few close-ups of the flash hider:

I've had the NSP-2 scope for years waiting to find a rail:

Most of you guys probably couldn't care less but to me, this is UberKool and it's the end of a looooong hunt! I refuse to drill holes in my existing VZ58 so now I need to find another earlier D-Tech in the original grey blue finish with the open front sight (either would do but I prefer the open sight. I'm willing to pay more than retail if someone has one they are willing to part with. Hint Hint.

Feb 28, 2013

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    Oh, I've never dealt with them but I would. Even if it doesn't work out, you're not out much. The parts shown came from a collector here in the states.

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    Yes, that's exactly what it is, a 35W 4.5V lamp. You can feel the heat off of that thing 15 feet away! Here it is mounted on an NDM-86:

Note the large belt mounted power/electronics pack. you are literally tethered to your rifle and it's a screw on connection, not a quick connect bayonet mount.

friendlyhippo

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 7, 2015
    Glen Burnout
    That's really awesome. I'd seen a couple pics on another forum (not of yours, just the setup in general) and never figured I'd see one in person, let alone in Maryland!

NV is definitely fun and addicting as well. Congrats on the find!

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    Yes, by todays standards they are a little goofy. But they were top secret high tech back in their day and NV is still pretty bulky in comparison to normal optics. Eventually, modern equipment will be laughed at too.

For comparison, here is a Gen 2 PN51. This model was the last NV unit fielded by the Soviets and was state of the art on either side of the iron curtain when the wall came down. While certainly a much better unit in every way, it was still quite large:

While more modern equipment exists, the 1PN51 is still standard issue in Russia today. I collect this old stuff because I find it interesting for some reason.

hodgepodge

Senior Member (Gold)
    Sep 3, 2009
    Arnold, MD
    Very interesting!

But I think I've seen this gun before.
    Man From Uncle Thrush Gun by Ideal.jpg

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Did anyone see the interviews with Sunni tribes with the reporters claiming they were relegated to

"Flimsy metal and woodchip stock" guns as he filmed a table of VZ58s..........

I think he was misunderstanding that they want HEAVY WEAPONS just not shinier light weapons.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads

Top Bottom