• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    FYI - Assault Weapons of Ohio announced today they would be selling bare VZ58 receivers in the coming weeks. Batches every 2 weeks at 475 + shipping.

Apex has parts kits from 360 to 400 with the original barrel. They are 15.5" barrels so you need to pin and weld or do them as an SBR. My intention is to pin a 14x1 to 5/8 thread adapter to it to get to 16" and be able to use modern muzzle devices

I did not enjoy building the one AK I did. The VZ has only one rivet (the trigger guard, I think this can be done another way though) and the trunnion is part of the milled receiver. If you reuse the old barrel it'll already be drilled, just need to press in and repopulate it. So it's like an AK but I think it's missing a lot of the work that made me dislike the AK.

922r parts are going to be a pain. Apex is all sold out. Will have to watch and see. Hopefully with this fresh infusion of receivers that breathes a little life in to them.

I have an Ohio Ordnance Works VZ2000 to use as a base model for assembly etc. At current prices even with the tooling I believe you'll need unique to the VZ58 build I believe this rifle can be built for less than it can be bought.

Was never planning on building one but prices won't get better especially given the parts kits include the com bloc barrels. Hopefully they aren't shot to hell when they show up. Kit condition looks OK, we will see.

They shoot really easily. My wife handles it with ease and everything else she shoots is .22 or 5.56. Look forward to a folding stock type as I have a fixed stock currently.

wbw2123

Nov 19, 2012
    I haven't really been paying attention to kit stuff in the last couple years, but that explains why vz58 kits doubled in price a few months back. Good lesson in, even when there's no support, stack them deep because it'll be there one day and prices always go up.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    They're still way less costly than AK kits anymore. And the AK kits coming in now never include barrels. Unsure how they're still bringing these in with barrels intact.

Fvck the ATF

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    Tortort has receivers. I sent them an email just earlier today asking where their info is machined (I want to machine some of the orig military markings and hope their manuf/serial isn't too obnoxious.) Wish someone would make an 80% so I could make them look totally authentic.
    I have at least two old parts kits stashed somewhere.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    Tortort has receivers. I sent them an email just earlier today asking where their info is machined (I want to machine some of the orig military markings and hope their manuf/serial isn't too obnoxious.) Wish someone would make an 80% so I could make them look totally authentic.
    I have at least two old parts kits stashed somewhere.

Will look in to them. Was unaware they existed

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    I found a pic of the AWO receiver off reddit (posted 8mo ago.)
    https://preview.redd.it/onwptetecq271.jpg?width=3930&format=pjpg&auto=webp&07eb6a53

Looks like they copied some of the symbols (though the crossed things look a bit large from memory.) I like where they put the serial number (factory location). It would have been nice if they but their manuf billboard on the bottom of something though :(

Edit: yeah looks like the logos aren't quite right.
    6587204_01_vz_58_receiver_stubs_640.jpg

Attachments

• AWO_VZ58_receiver.jpg
      AWO_VZ58_receiver.jpg
      45.5 KB · Views: 292

ryan2

Mar 18, 2020
    VZ58 kit barrels are chrome lined and most of them should be in good conditions. Yugo AK barrels are not chrome-lined and usually in bad condition.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    VZ58 kit barrels are chrome lined and most of them should be in good conditions. Yugo AK barrels are not chrome-lined and usually in bad condition.

This is a lot of the appeal to me. Original com-bloc barrels. I can deal with a little pin and weld to keep them alive.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    Received kits today. Well packaged. Mixed finish. Opened two and I see little bits missing between the kits. I am going to lay all 5 out tomorrow and compare them to one another.

Bores are all mirror. One has some serious chamber wear in the top which is odd. Might go after Apex to try and force a replacement but who knows how that'll go.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    5? You're my hero :)

Do they have a receiver stub? Looks like it. I think mine still have the barrels pressed in and the stub is long enough to include the locking lugs. I've thought about just having rears made and welding together. Hmmmm, I guess nothing is stopping me from cutting up a perfectly good tortort/awo receiver and welding the two together.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    5? You're my hero :)

Do they have a receiver stub? Looks like it. I think mine still have the barrels pressed in and the stub is long enough to include the locking lugs. I've thought about just having rears made and welding together. Hmmmm, I guess nothing is stopping me from cutting up a perfectly good tortort/awo receiver and welding the two together.

They sent the stub

Some of them they stripped the barrels others are populated and cut off

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    Little update

Opened up and inventoried all five of the kits I got from Apex

One came with the gas block and sight still populated on a chopped barrel, the others were all stripped. Bores are all in fantastic condition.

Each kit seemed to be missing at least one or two small pins or screws. Additionally two of the barrels were junk; one had some crazy chamber wear and another had a huge tooling drag mark under the front sight. Additionally the fixed stock kit explicitly said it came without this little lower handguard spacer but the folding kit was silent; none of them came with it and the only source is from the Czech Republic.

Contacted Apex, they were GREAT.
    - Issuing partial refund so I can go buy the missing bits from overseas (they admitted it was an error in their description)
    - Sending me two replacement barrels
    - Asked me for a list of all the little parts I was missing so they could be sent to me free of charge

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    For those considering this make sure you understand the combloc barrels at 15.5" long. You need to pin and weld or do an SBR.

KNS makes a muzzle adapter specifically for the VZ58 which converts it to standard 5/8 thread from M14 and adds enough OAL to push the barrel beyond 16" when pinned and welded. Other adapters exist to accomplish the same thing but theirs was specifically advertised as such and also has wrench flats on it which will make it easier to drill to pin.

Sherman

Nov 5, 2017
    This is just solidifying my want for another vz58 even more, makes me really miss the one I had and didn't fully appreciate. Hopefully soon I can trade for one

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Markmcgrrr

Latest threads

Top Bottom