• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 6pack

MSI BOD Member
    Apr 2, 2012
    Eldersburg, MD
    Yeah she's the same. How's the bore?

Yes, serial number is the same. I probably don't know enough to give a good answer, but it is dark, the grooves seem shallow, but I don't see anything that looks like counter-boring.

I believe the bolt is from a German K98k. It looks like it was renumbered also, as shown by the grinded bolt handle and numbers

That confirms what the other guy I know said. And the ground bolt handle seems obvious now that you mention it. :)

MilsurpDan

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2012
    Frederick County
    Seems like an interesting rifle, it's definitely a Romanian contract and the mounts don't look like a bubba job to me but all of the mismatched parts leave me a little puzzled as to if its a put together or not. I'm not really the guy to go to for sniper rifles though so somebody else may know what it is. At the very least it looks like a fun shooter

Oldcarjunkie

R.I.P
    Jan 8, 2009
    A.A county
    Ok, just looked at the pics, bolt doesn't match, so don't do a cheek weld for the first shot just Incase the head space is no good. Or have it checked before hand by a gunsmith.

6pack

MSI BOD Member
    Apr 2, 2012
    Eldersburg, MD
    I emailed the seller about this being the same one as the July auction, contrary to what he said. His response:

I based the entire listing,pictures, and description off of the rifle sent, I do not see how they would have gotten mixed up in july, and checked that exact rifle and fired it the Saturday before before it shipped out to ensure its function, I will try and get a hold of my father but the rifle represented was the rifle shipped

I mentioned that I understand the pictures represent what was sent, but that all our discussions were about this other rifle. Bad situation. Let's see what he comes back with.

I still like this one and want to know more about it though. :)

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    wartime mauser rifles are the most often faked, rebuilt, forged. and they tend to end up on gunbroker.

forums.gunboards.com is the place to go for info on mauser variants

6pack

MSI BOD Member
    Apr 2, 2012
    Eldersburg, MD
    Well, the seller says he seems to have got this rifle mixed up with the one we were talking about (the nicer one). He says the other one is gone, apologized and offered a $30 refund. :sad20: I think it's been pretty clear that the guy was lying about it all along to make this sound nicer than it is. He also could have cut communication once I paid, so, oh well.

I did hear from another guy on Gun Boards that thinks the rifle is a true, Romanian contract, VZ24 sniper. So, I don't think I'm going to bother trying to return it. I'm just going to keep learning about it, and keep my eyes open for the scope and scope ring. :)

MilsurpDan

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2012
    Frederick County
    Well, the seller says he seems to have got this rifle mixed up with the one we were talking about (the nicer one). He says the other one is gone, apologized and offered a $30 refund. :sad20: I think it's been pretty clear that the guy was lying about it all along to make this sound nicer than it is. He also could have cut communication once I paid, so, oh well.

I did hear from another guy on Gun Boards that thinks the rifle is a true, Romanian contract, VZ24 sniper. So, I don't think I'm going to bother trying to return it. I'm just going to keep learning about it, and keep my eyes open for the scope and scope ring. :)

Well thats good. I'd say take the $30 and get a scope for it. Or you could sell it and get something else. I'd say shoot it a little bit and see how she groups and make your decision. It would be pretty cool to make a "mock" sniper out of it if it isn't a real Romanian sniper.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom