• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bullet308

Aug 4, 2013
    Hi:

I have accumulated two complete barreled actions and two complete vz 52 rifles. The two barreled actions are to be fodder for rebarreling to 7.62x39mm and/or 6.5 Grendel, custom stocking and otherwise having my way with them (please be gentile with me...they are pretty rough and are not readily restorable given they lack any wood or other furniture).

Tne first rifle was originally one of those truck-bed liner-painted Century guns. Not sure what I intend to do with that one. Its complete but not particularly collectable afer first being slathered in black goo and then stripped and refinished, reveaing some prominant old arsenal repairs. Meh. I may keep it original or not. Whatever.

The second rifle (the real topic of this post), OTOH, seems to be a non-import marked, all orignial gun with decent metal finish and, most significantly, no cracks or other serious structural issues in the stock, which is relatively rare. It also has what appears to be an original heavy shellac-y looking finish that has darkened and has all manner of minor dings and scratches in it. The handguard has a prominant crack running the full length of the wood, but the stock appears very solid and to have some really nice looking wood under the icky finish.

The questing being, how to handle the stock finish? There is lot to be said for leaving it all original, but then, it will look massivly fugly when I photograph it for resale. My first thought is to chemically strip the old finish, apply steam to the dings and apply oil but NOT sand or otherwise mess with the wood proper, and fill and repair the crack in the handguard.

I am looking for suggestions on the best way to proceed. I am not that much of a collector but recognise the tragedy in butchering up a nice representative example of something and would like to pass this one on to a more loving home.

TIA

>>>BULLET>>>

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    Has character I like it.

If you choose to refinish it shouldnt be too hard. Power purple and an iron go a long way if you want to start over. Does that actually have an oil finish or is there varnish? If so acetone works great to remove it.

I got an A3 from a pawn shop I was able to get the shallac off and redo the stock came out nice.

bullet308

Aug 4, 2013
    Oh, the wood is definitly good! I just dont like the way the finish kinda' hides what promises to be some really nice figure and grain. However, I tend to figure the safer bet is to leave it alone and let the next guy that owns it refinish it if he cares to.

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    That's a really nice stock. Don't try to improve it. Just give it a good cleaning with Murphy's Oil Soap (AKA "Sled Suds"). If any scratches show up too much, rub some boiled linseed oil onto it. I'd personally just clean it and leave it alone.

As for someone thinking that it's fugly in photos, if they're looking for a vz. 52, they sure won't be wanting one with a refinished stock.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom