• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KMK1862

Ultimate Member
    Oct 12, 2010
    York County, PA
    Ok I wanna get some votes in. Choices im going for.

A)Ak47
    b)SKS
    c)AK74
    d)German Mauser (I have nagants so thought id get a mauser)

When you say German Mauser, are you referring to the K98k?

This is the order in which I would go:

1. AK47
    2. K98k, ideally with all markings intact.
    3. SKS
    4. AK74

With all the political nonsense and the hightened media coverage that shootings are getting, now might be the time to get that AK47. If possible, try to get one with a Combloc chrome lined, hammer forged milspec barrel.

Next I'd say K98k, simply due to the fact that the Germans aren't making them anymore.

SKSs seem to still be readily available. I don't think I've ever been to a gunshow and not seen at least 1 SKS.

I'm not a big fan of the AK74, mostly due to the small caliber. Some people love them and, IIRC, the ammo is cheap and plentiful.

Scott7891

Love those Combloc guns
    Sep 4, 2007
    Back in MD sadly
    Ok I wanna get some votes in. Choices im going for.

A)Ak47
    b)SKS
    c)AK74
    d)German Mauser (I have nagants so thought id get a mauser)

Here is my input owning all of these firearms.

SKS
    If we were still allowed to trade guns and ammo with China we could still get SKS's from them like Canada up north does for fairly cheap. However since China is the only maker of them still and the fact the SKS was already obsolete when it was adopted there are not as many of them compared to the AK. I would buy the SKS before the AK because AK's are still being made and imported/domestically assembled; SKS's not so much so since their prices are rising you might as well get one now while you still can for a reasonable price

German Mauser
    German Mauser's have become increasingly popular and their prices doubled. I picked up mine a few months ago for $310 cash out the door. Recent imports now have them going for double that amount for Russian captures. Again like the SKS if you have to have one now is the time to get them. The only caveat is 8mm. ammo has pretty much dried up and is obsolete making the ammo not as cheap as it once was and unless you become a reloader the future supply is bleak since you will have to rely on commercial $1-per-bullet ammo. Getting a Mauser in 7.62 NATO would make more sense in the long-term since the ammo is not only domestic and still being made for the foreseeable future but are harder to find plus more expensive.

AK-47
    Unless you are talking about a milled receiver variant then you really mean an AKM variant since they are stamped and way more plentiful. For AK's the 7.62x39 is the most popular. Ammo is plentiful, a domestic supply exists albeit expensive and no better than imports, parts are available, plenty of accessories have come out to make the AK on-par customization-wise IMO with the AR. Very reliable.

AK-74
    Although surplus ammo is cheap the supply is not a guarantee to always be there especially now when importers have now recently charged new, higher prices for the ammo. Quality surplus magazines have dried up making them prohibitively expensive without any verifiable knowledge that new imports will be coming anytime soon. That leaves you with getting U.S. made mags which are okay for the range, price, and light defense use but if you are planning SHTF/general abuse then you are screwed. For ammo Russia still makes commercial 5.45 (Wolf/Silver Bear/Golden Tiger) priced on par with 7.62x39 but will be harder to find since a lot of gun dealers A) never heard of 5.45 B) not as popular to sell C) think 5.56 is good enough and D) AK's are crap in all forms, buy American only :sad20:

For reliability purposes I would rank them:
    1) Mauser
    2) AK-47
    3) SKS
    4) AK-74

Accuracy:
    1) Mauser
    2) AK-74
    3) SKS
    4) AK-47

Long term value/investment w/o threat of gun laws
    1) Mauser
    2) SKS
    3) AK-74
    4) AK-47

Long term value/investment w/ threat of gun laws
    1) AK-47
    2) AK-74
    3) SKS
    4) Mauser

Parts availability:
    1) AK-47
    2) SKS
    3) Mauser
    4) AK-74

Cheap ammo costs:
    1) AK-74 surplus ammo
    2) AK-47/SKS/AK-74 commercial ammo
    3) Mauser

BPSballistics

Aug 11, 2012
    Glen burnie
    Great write up Scott7891 you hit alot of points and conflicting emotions inside that i couldnt seem to figure out. I think im gonna go with the AK47 or SKS just because with all the ****tards shooting people lately so called "ASSAULT RIFLES" which is a word made up by a media because my mosin nagant typically and theoretically could be an ASSAULT RIFLE if i were to take it out and shoot some one with it..hence I committed an assault with a rifle. however back to what we were discussing. The ak47 does seem promising due to the threat of gun laws knocking on the door. SKS's are going up in price however my friend is selling a norinco para model for 300 bucks which is a good deal. And the mauser yeah they are going up in price they will always seem to be readily available. Which im considering knocking the mauser off my list for now just because of the 8mm round plus I already Own 3 bolt action rifles I want a semi fire rifle.

Scott7891

Love those Combloc guns
    Sep 4, 2007
    Back in MD sadly
    Great write up Scott7891 you hit alot of points and conflicting emotions inside that i couldnt seem to figure out. I think im gonna go with the AK47 or SKS just because with all the ****tards shooting people lately so called "ASSAULT RIFLES" which is a word made up by a media because my mosin nagant typically and theoretically could be an ASSAULT RIFLE if i were to take it out and shoot some one with it..hence I committed an assault with a rifle. however back to what we were discussing. The ak47 does seem promising due to the threat of gun laws knocking on the door. SKS's are going up in price however my friend is selling a norinco para model for 300 bucks which is a good deal. And the mauser yeah they are going up in price they will always seem to be readily available. Which im considering knocking the mauser off my list for now just because of the 8mm round plus I already Own 3 bolt action rifles I want a semi fire rifle.

The only problem with the para is that it has the 16 inch barrel which negates the one advantage the SKS has over the AK which is better accuracy. Buying a SKS with a 16 inch barrel is a waste IMO when you might as well get the AK with the same length barrel plus with all the added benefits that made the SKS obsolete to begin with. I would only get a 16 inch SKS w/ AK mag capability if I lived in a place like Connecticut where 7.62x39 AK's are banned.

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    Well, although I never really cared for them, I finally bought an AK. Todays political climate made the decision for me. The only K98 that would get my attention would be an original sniper version and even then, I would be very pickey about it. It's not on your list but you should think about getting one of "the greatest battle rifle ever made"
    an M1 Garand. I am drooling over an M1C USMC version.

Af_catfish

Abandon All Hope
    Sep 6, 2011
    Bremen, Ohio
    You have a difficult choice. I would lean toward the the 47 though. It's really fun and reasonably cheap to shoot. It's not a tack driver, but they're more accurate than people give them credit for. Plus they look really cool. The SKS is a fine firearm but it's similar enough to the 47 that if you're not buying it for a collectible item, why not go with the detachable mag, fun factor, and cool factor of the 47. The SKS may be more accurate, but that's a subjective thing. For some people Glocks are more accurate than Berettas. For others the Berettas are more accurate than glocks. Mausers are indeed cool. But again, unless you're buying it to collect you may be better off with the 47. 8mm isn't as cheap to shoot as it used to be. That's why I hardly shoot my Enfield anymore. The 74 is a good choice too. As a fan of .30 caliber I would go with the 47.

Buying something based on fear isn't very prudent. Remember after Obama got elected and you couldn't find handgun ammo anywhere because people were hoarding it? What did that accomplish? Buying up guns and parts before the election this time is the same thing. Unreasonable fear. So buy what you think would work the best for you and make you the happiest.

Jan 9, 2012
    Hoco
    Cheap Ammo? AK47
    Ammo with a punch? AK47
    Eats lousy ammo? AK47
    Reliable? AK47
    Really Reliable? AK47
    Stupidly Reliable? AK47
    Accurate enough? AK47
    Scares the media? AK47
    Scares everyone? AK47
    Helped Charlie defeat the US? AK47
    Helped the Afghans defeat the Soviets? AK47
    Helped the Wolverines defeat the Soviets? AK47
    Copied more than any other weapon? AK47

When you absolutely positively have to have that warm fuzzy feeling that when
    you pull the trigger it will go bang over and over and over.....
    sgl21-61.jpg

Great reference, remake comes out in november :thumbsup:

50bmg

Sep 24, 2011
    Towson, MD
    No doubt a nice AK47. Here are my reasons:

Ammo is relatively cheap and plentiful

Classic rifle, known worldwide (collectible and desirable)

More potent round than 5.45 for penetration (but heavier to carry)

It's a blast to shoot.

A1Uni

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2012
    For what my opinion is worth, I’d say a Mauser, but I am admittedly a fan of WWI and WWII rifles, especially the bolt action Mauser, the Enfield SMLE-MK III, and the M1903 Springfield.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davech1831

Latest threads

Top Bottom