• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • t84a

USCG Master
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2013
    West Ocean City, MD
    I'm looking for some guidance. Over the past 3 years I have had 3 eye surgeries: vitrectomies in each eye and then cataract in my left last March. Post cataract surgery I have no accommodation in my left eye meaning the eye focuses at distances not at close. This is the expected outcome and perfectly normal. At some point, I'll neet cataract surgery in my right but who knows when. My corrected vision in my right eye is not 20/20 so obviously I have a dilemma. Are there trainers that can help me? If so, anyone in the Frederick/Hagerstown area? Any other advice?

ngman

MDS Supporter
    Apr 19, 2013
    Western Howard County
    t84a, I feel for you... I had cataract surgery in my late 40's. When you do have your right eye done (especially if you are right eye dominant), I suggest you consider having your vision fixed at "computer depth". I had this done with both of my eyes and have been very, very happy. I did it for desk work but it works great on the front sight too. From what my Dr. said it's a bit of a guess on their part when they try to fix for a certain distance but it has worked well. No reading glasses, and still legal to drive without glasses though better with. The Doc said they can set one eye for distance and one for computer and said it just takes some time to adjust. I wish you the best. How do you like not having floaters?

ngman

MDS Supporter
    Apr 19, 2013
    Western Howard County
    I'm glad it's better for you. I couldn't believe how "bright" things where after the surgery. I still have the floaters but no where near as bad as yours were.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    Can you provide a source for this information?

http://www.eregulations.com/maryland/hunting/general-hunting-regulations/

see last bullet.

Laser sights are legal for hunting all game species.

also: http://www.dnr.state.md.us/huntersguide/pdfs/14MDHD_LR.pdf

I am not sure offhand when this changed. I have an old hunt guide from 2010 that clearly says lasers are not allowed. Does not say "new" this year, so they must have changed it a few years ago.

paperwork351

no error code for stupid
    Mar 7, 2008
    Gaithersburg
    I put Crimson Trace on a couple of pistols and it works well indoors but not well outside. It takes me some time to acquire the dot so I usually point shoot. Mine are the red type and haven't tried the green. I haven't looked at post type reticle scopes either.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    Mine are Lasergrips. The green must be larger and mounted in front of the trigger guard. Got them for a lot less that MSRP. You can block the laser with the trigger finger extended.

blog
    http://shootersresource.blogspot.com

Don't have a glock.

Link does not work. I'd check gunbroker myself.

They do have green lasergrips for full size Glocks now too. And holsters to accomodate both the -grips and -guards. Lots of rail mounted systems of different brands too.

The green are bright as hell compared to red.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    I'm looking for some guidance. Over the past 3 years I have had 3 eye surgeries: vitrectomies in each eye and then cataract in my left last March. Post cataract surgery I have no accommodation in my left eye meaning the eye focuses at distances not at close. This is the expected outcome and perfectly normal. At some point, I'll neet cataract surgery in my right but who knows when. My corrected vision in my right eye is not 20/20 so obviously I have a dilemma. Are there trainers that can help me? If so, anyone in the Frederick/Hagerstown area? Any other advice?

I might be able to help you. I am nearsighted so red dots are fine when I use my glasses (except for excessive astigmatism) but I have to use some type of glasses even with iron sights to see the targets and with my normal prescription all my iron sights are too fuzzy. On the advice of another shooter I had a special set of shooting glasses made with a normal left lens and a right lens with a prescription that gives an 18" focus. This puts the sights in sharp focus and the long focus on the right fools the eye into seeing the target sharp also when needed. I also have a lot of floaters in my eyes which will likely give me additional issues down the road. I shoot out of both MPC in Frederick and Peacemaker in WV.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    photo-I like this idea. How does the right eye work for reading and computer work? I wear trifocals so it's a real PIA to adjust to iron sites and then scopes.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    photo-I like this idea. How does the right eye work for reading and computer work? I wear trifocals so it's a real PIA to adjust to iron sites and then scopes.
    \
    Normally in my case (and I have an IT job still at my age) I just do without glasses since my nearsightedness is OK with that. I have lots of glasses, and in my case I have regular prescription and the shooting ones I talked about previously. Sounds like you would be better off with a set of those and a set of reading glasses which you could get at Wal-Mart. I tried bifocals while I was still racing and they were a pain in the neck. I thought they would be ok with the upper part watching the track ahead and the bifocal part for the dashboard but I got near headaches from doing it. Tried gradient bifocals and they hurt my head even worse. So I went back to single vision lenses.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    I know what you mean. Getting used to my 1st pair of bifocals was hell. Every time I moved my head it was like I was flipping a page. The gradient ones were even worse as the field of vision is shaped like an hour glass, or used to be. Narrow in the middle and wider at the top and bottom. If my eyes were not points directly at what I wanted to see it was blurry. Basically no peripheral vision. Moving to trifocals was a trip but not as hard to get used to as the 1st pair of bifocals. I talked to Neal Strepp who is supposed to be a very prominent target shooter and he gave me a formula to take to my optometrist to get some glasses made for shooting. I can PM it to you if you want.

MaraD

The Tall Girl
    Aug 15, 2013
    Baltimore, MD
    t84a, I had cataract surgery on both eyes last September. My left eye is now 20/20 and my right eye is better than 20/25. Although this sounds perfect, I am now farsighted and cannot focus my eyes on handgun sights without glasses. I found that for my eyes, +1.0 reading glasses give me perfect focus on my front handgun sight with my arms fully extended. I have just started using press on lenses (3M Press on Bifocal Lens)on my shooting glasses. One of these is placed on the top of the lens to give me inverted bi-focals for my dominant eye and the other lens is not modified. Now I can focus on my sights with my left eye and see the target with my right. Not a bad solution and it only costs $25.

As for rifles and handguns with scopes, as long as the scope has a diopter adjustment I have no issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom