• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • [Kev308]

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 23, 2020
    Maryland
    Pretty sure that's a violation of the Lacey Act.
    You're not even allowed to trade meat with people. It's free gift or nothing with wild game.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Yes, I believe you are correct. I forgot about that.

The average person commits 3 felonies a day and doesn't know it. Lol

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    [Kev308];6556064 said:
    Yes, I believe you are correct. I forgot about that.

The average person commits 3 felonies a day and doesn't know it. Lol
    Damn, I need to step up my felony game apparently.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    My application still says “pending draw.” Not that I expect to win. Just hoping DWR takes the high demand as a good reason to let elk expand naturally and possibly introduce more herds.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    Well DWR just emailed me and let me know the results. Which are that I did not win.

Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    I didn't win either. Looks like only 5 tags were given out. Does anyone know if we built preference points or whatever buy entering the lottery?

[Kev308]

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 23, 2020
    Maryland

Elk Hunting Outside the Elk Management Zone

Elk may be taken from any county outside the EMZ by hunters who possess a Virginia deer tag or who are license exempt. These hunters must follow deer season regulations including hunting dates and weapon restrictions, except that any elk (bull or cow) may be taken on any day of an open deer season. The bag limit on elk outside the EMZ is one per day. Please visit the Elk Hunting page for more information on hunting elk outside the EMZ.

You can still get one if it wanders outside the zone. Like Cecil the lion.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    That's cheap!

Some out of state licenses are in the thousands of dollars, if you are drawn.

For a hunt like this, you need to have a fund put on the side, in case you ever get pulled (which can take years).

Start your hunting stash now, and it will grow into the hunt of a lifetime.
    Yup. Hunt of a lifetime is the kind of thing you need to put aside money, assistants and time. Maybe it is just help with your kids (if you have young kids), or a buddy or three who are interested in coming and help scout (or haul things). Plus you need to make sure you can take as much time off whatever job you has as you need (or are retired). Season is 2 weeks? Well, make sure your boss knows he isn't likely to see you for 2 weeks plus travel time and if fortune is favorable you'll see them sooner. License fees $1000? $3000? $10000? $400? That shouldn't be a second thought. Because if it is the hunt of a lifetime you'd better have the hundreds or likely thousands set aside for the taxidermist too. Plus travel, food, maybe new gear, etc.

Now of course "hunt of a lifetime" have different meanings. To me a nice feral pig hunt is probably the hunt of a lifetime. Unless they start invading an area I am living in (and I am unlikely to retire to the south, but maybe WV or likely points north like NH or ME), I am not likely to hunt them on the regular. And I am the only one who really eats ham of any sort. I don't mind giving away a bunch of meat to friends, but I am not inclined to spend the hundreds to a thousand or two to go hunt feral pigs when it is mostly a trophy and maybe a few pounds of meat I am likely to keep and eat (the rest going to very willing people though).

I am just not really a trophy hunter, so...

An Antelope and Elk hunt are very high on my list of "do sometime in my life". Hopefully before I get too old. In fact I am probably going to start putting in for Antelope hunts in a couple of years. And I'll probably start putting in on Elk tags in places where I can decline a draw without penalty and just build points. An Antelope hunt I can probably swing all on my own. An Elk hunt I think it would take me going with a buddy and my likely picks are one or more of my kids or one friend. The kids are just too young really and my buddy has too much in life (he has very young kids. His oldest is 14 like my oldest, but he has a 1.5yr old. My youngest is only 10).

So realistically it would be in maybe 5-10 years on an Elk hunt unless I use a guide, which I'd prefer not to do, but I am not completely against it if that is the only option.

But an Antelope hunt I'd be fine driving out west for a week or two on my own and camping.

A moose hunt if I needed to take a month off I would.

Though I kind of expect with time and money and level of effort I might be lucky enough to do an Antelope hunt in the next 4-6 years, an Elk hunt in maybe 6-12. A Moose hunt...maybe when I retire or shortly before. Supposing I am ever lucky enough to do that.

I'd also love to do a Caribou hunt someday. No clue if that will ever happen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom