• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • [Kev308]

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 23, 2020
    Maryland
    https://dwr.virginia.gov/wildlife/elk/hunting/elk-lottery/

The hunt for the 2022–2023 season will be held Saturday, October 8, 2022 – Friday, October 14, 2022. There are five (5) antlered elk tags available for this year’s hunt via lottery. Application period for the elk lottery will open February 1, 2022, and close March 30, 2022. Applications for a special elk hunting license can be obtained online, under elk hunting, or by calling the Department of Wildlife Resources Customer Service for assistance in applying via phone.

Applications require a non-refundable fee of $15 for Virginia residents and $20 for out-of-state residents. Winners of the elk hunting application will then need to purchase a special elk hunting license for $40 for in-state residents, and $400 for out-of-state residents. Winners of the randomized computer drawing will be notified by May 30th. You can also check the status of your application by visiting your DWR GoOutdoorsVA page.

The chances are slim, but even slimmer if you didn't hear about the opportunity.

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    You can shoot an elk outside those counties on a regular whitetail tag, apparently.

I signed up. You're allowed 15 "assistants". But only one rifle.

BigCountry14

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    [Kev308];6554893 said:
    https://dwr.virginia.gov/wildlife/elk/hunting/elk-lottery/

The hunt for the 2022–2023 season will be held Saturday, October 8, 2022 – Friday, October 14, 2022. There are five (5) antlered elk tags available for this year’s hunt via lottery. Application period for the elk lottery will open February 1, 2022, and close March 30, 2022. Applications for a special elk hunting license can be obtained online, under elk hunting, or by calling the Department of Wildlife Resources Customer Service for assistance in applying via phone.

Applications require a non-refundable fee of $15 for Virginia residents and $20 for out-of-state residents. Winners of the elk hunting application will then need to purchase a special elk hunting license for $40 for in-state residents, and $400 for out-of-state residents. Winners of the randomized computer drawing will be notified by May 30th. You can also check the status of your application by visiting your DWR GoOutdoorsVA page.

The chances are slim, but even slimmer if you didn't hear about the opportunity.
    Chances might be slim, but its only $20. I drew PA in 2018 and it was a blast. We go back to the elk ranger twice a year.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

[Kev308]

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 23, 2020
    Maryland
    You can shoot an elk outside those counties on a regular whitetail tag, apparently.

I signed up. You're allowed 15 "assistants". But only one rifle.

It sounds like the management plan is to trying to contain the elk within 3 counties due to farmlands, the "EMZ."

15 is a hell of a party. Lol

Also I read 1 tag would be allowed for out of state residents. 1/5

Sherman

Nov 5, 2017
    Seemed like a interesting opportunity then I saw the out-of-state license fee, wish I was in a position to afford that haha

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Seemed like a interesting opportunity then I saw the out-of-state license fee, wish I was in a position to afford that haha

That's cheap!

Some out of state licenses are in the thousands of dollars, if you are drawn.

For a hunt like this, you need to have a fund put on the side, in case you ever get pulled (which can take years).

Start your hunting stash now, and it will grow into the hunt of a lifetime.

[Kev308]

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 23, 2020
    Maryland

If you can have up to 15 assistants, I'm sure you can get some people to chip in and pay them with some meat. Not sure how much that butcher bill would be tho.

Sherman

Nov 5, 2017
    That's cheap!

Some out of state licenses are in the thousands of dollars, if you are drawn.

For a hunt like this, you need to have a fund put on the side, in case you ever get pulled (which can take years).

Start your hunting stash now, and it will grow into the hunt of a lifetime.

I remember when I had just gotten my hunting license and looked up Colorado's fees when I was working out there and yikes what an eye-opener :shocking:

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    Do you need to currently have a Virginia (non-resident in my case) hunting license already to submit an application, or can that wait til if and/or when you get drawn?

[Kev308]

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 23, 2020
    Maryland
    Do you need to currently have a Virginia (non-resident in my case) hunting license already to submit an application, or can that wait til if and/or when you get drawn?
    Edited:

No,
    you do not need a license ($400) until you have been drawn. Just the $20 application fee, and setting up an online profile.

Last edited:

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    I remember when I had just gotten my hunting license and looked up Colorado's fees when I was working out there and yikes what an eye-opener :shocking:

Yeah,

Out west is crazy money.

You can find working man priced hunts here on the east coast, but you need to save up for them.

A trip to the great American outdoor show to visit the guides and lodges will give you an idea of costs.

OneGunTex

Escaped Member
    Jan 12, 2021
    Southern Maryland, no longer
    [Kev308];6555018 said:
    If you can have up to 15 assistants, I'm sure you can get some people to chip in and pay them with some meat. Not sure how much that butcher bill would be tho.
    Pretty sure that's a violation of the Lacey Act.
    You're not even allowed to trade meat with people. It's free gift or nothing with wild game.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

BigCountry14

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    For those wondering. Butcher bill on a 700lb bull elk was about $600, which i didn't consider bad as I got close to 300lbs of vacuum sealed meat.

All told, my total cost of my trip was about $6500 including tags, guide, lodging, new rifle scope, some other gear,, new chest freezer, gas for trips up, and butcher.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    All told, my total cost of my trip was about $6500

how much was the actual guide, had to be pretty cheap given all the other stuff in your 6500. if you highly recommend the outfitter and don't mind giving out the contact info i certainly would appreciate that.

BigCountry14

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    how much was the actual guide, had to be pretty cheap given all the other stuff in your 6500. if you highly recommend the outfitter and don't mind giving out the contact info i certainly would appreciate that.
    Guide was $2k. Elk County Outfitters. Highly recommended if you draw a tag.

BigCountry14

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    $6500 all in still sounds cheaper than a guided hunt out west.
    Honestly, with enough time or familiarty with the area, it would not be a tough DIY hunt depending on zone. Its getting tougher as they add more tags, but it still runs north of 90% success on bulls.

BigCountry14

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    oh, i wasn't paying attention... this was in Penna. i was thinking out west.
    You can find stuff that doesn't cost an arm and a leg if you dig around. Im doing a mule deer hunt in December in New Mexico that will probably be under $8k all done that I found through Huntin Fool.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Noha

Latest threads

Top Bottom