• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cgoet5

Jul 20, 2010
    Harford County
    Was passing through Virginia on my way to Tennessee last week when i was stopped by the local trooper for speeding. Little did i know that anything over 80mph is Felony in Virginia. Anyone have any experience\Advice. Maybe know a good Lawyer. Never got a ticket out of MD before haven't got a ticket in in probably 15yr

JDove

Ultimate Member
    Jun 16, 2010
    I think VA has 15 specific Reckless Driving types and they are Class 1 misdemeanors (twelve months jail and a fine of up to $2,500, either or both max). My sister got busted on they way to NC a few years ago and had to go to court.

SSJ

Sep 16, 2011
    MD
    Was passing through Virginia on my way to Tennessee last week when i was stopped by the local trooper for speeding. Little did i know that anything over 80mph is Felony in Virginia. Anyone have any experience\Advice. Maybe know a good Lawyer. Never got a ticket out of MD before haven't got a ticket in in probably 15yr

I was going through there the other day too. I saw some signs that said something about criminal, jail, whatever. I was going to fast to read them though. What was the limit where you were? I was in a 70mph zone. Seems weird they would do that for a mere 10mph over the limit.

sheat36

May 24, 2012
    Westminster, MD
    I got caught last year doing 81. I didnt know either that it was a criminal offense versus a moving violation. I contacted a lawyer and had it pled down to "defective equipment". Paid the fine and no points, etc. Total cost was around 400 bones.

contact info for the lawyer I usedCara Moisan

Miller-Cerasuolo, PLLC

558 Southlake Boulevard

Richmond, Virginia 23236

804-325-1697: phone

866-480-1626: fax

Cara@bmclawoffice.com

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    As I recall, in Virginia speeding 20 or more mph over the posted limit is considered to be reckless driving, or any speed exceeding 80mph regardless of the speed limit. Not a felony but it is a misdemeanor that carries a potential for jail time. I think most people don't get jail but you don't want to be the guy who got the wrong judge when he was having a bad day. You'll need a local lawyer, I would get one from whatever county you are going to trial in.

fivepointstar

Thank you MD-Goodbye
    Apr 28, 2008
    3rd Rock from the Sun
    call their local courthouse and get a listing of attorneys taht deal with traffic. (if you don't you'll probably get a letter from one) it happened to my wife and attorney fees were about $300

Mooseman

R.I.P.- Hooligan #4
    Jan 3, 2012
    Western Maryland
    Things may have changed since then, but I got stopped in the late 80's for 88 in a 65. Anything 20 or more M.P.H. over the speed limit was considered wreckless driving. It required a mandatory court apperance. Before the start of the trial, the judge went down the laundry list of violations and maximum penalties. When he got to wreckless driving he said maximum penalty was $1000 fine and one year in jail. I was shocked. He called the first case. The first thing he did was ask the defendant if he needed time to seek an attorney. The next thing he did was ask the LEO if he was requesting jail time. Now I was really worried since I was a bit of a smart ass to the cop. When my case was called and the judge asked me if I needed time to get an attorney. I asked if he could ask the LEO his question before I answered my question. He chuckled and asked the LEO if he was looking for jail time. He said no. We proceeded with the trial. I ended up paying a $250 fine and court costs. When it transfered to my Maryland license it showed as "exceeding the speed limit by less than 10 M.P.H." It carried one point.

Hokie

Nov 20, 2012
    Call the Butts Brothers...Jimmy or Charles. You don't even have to show up to court but it'll cost you the fine plus attorney fees. 84 in a 70 got dropped down to "defective equipment".

guthook

Grrr.
    Apr 7, 2008
    St. Mary's
    Things may have changed since then, but I got stopped in the late 80's for 88 in a 65. Anything 20 or more M.P.H. over the speed limit was considered wreckless driving. It required a mandatory court apperance. Before the start of the trial, the judge went down the laundry list of violations and maximum penalties. When he got to wreckless driving he said maximum penalty was $1000 fine and one year in jail. I was shocked. He called the first case. The first thing he did was ask the defendant if he needed time to seek an attorney. The next thing he did was ask the LEO if he was requesting jail time. Now I was really worried since I was a bit of a smart ass to the cop. When my case was called and the judge asked me if I needed time to get an attorney. I asked if he could ask the LEO his question before I answered my question. He chuckled and asked the LEO if he was looking for jail time. He said no. We proceeded with the trial. I ended up paying a $250 fine and court costs. When it transfered to my Maryland license it showed as "exceeding the speed limit by less than 10 M.P.H." It carried one point.

Same happened to me in '99, but the judge WAS throwing people in jail!!! :eek: I was sweating bullets when they called my name. The officer didn't pull my MD record so the judge let me off with court fees. I couldn't get that money out of my pocket fast enough. (I drove 55mph all the way back to MD)

ProShooter

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2008
    Richmond, Va
    Speeding either 20 mph over the limit, or speeding 80 mph+ is NOT a felony. It is Reckless Driving, a class 1 misdemeanor (our highest level of misdemeanor) and it carries the potential of 12 months in jail, a $2500 fine, or any combination of those 2 things.

Get a lawyer, make a deal, and plead guilty to "improper driving".....and slow your ass down in our fine, gun friendly state. :)

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    I-81 through Rockbridge county 85 in a 70

They like that area because there's a couple of good hills for you to pick up speed on and then get pinched after you get going.

It's worse on 64 west out of Lexington. You think you're in the middle of nowhere and then Smokey gets you coming down one of those hills.

So far (knock on wood) been running that road at least once a month since 1985 and managed to avoid getting pinched.

RustinRifle55

Feb 24, 2013
    St. James MD
    My son lives in VA and got two tickets within the first 2 months there. One for speeding and another for not getting an inspection sticker quick enough. He went to court and basically the judge and the state troopers were in collusion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads

Top Bottom