• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Wollard doesn't apply to DC since it's not in the 4th circuit. Also, restrictive G&S won't fly in DC since self defense is a valid reason to issue a permit now thanks to this case.

Ok, since self defense is valid, you'll only need to submit 10 documented threats in writing.

rem87062597

Annapolis, MD
    Jul 13, 2012
    Actually works for me but I'll throw this back at you.....and I'll catch my flak.

This can't go into effect immediately, the 4000 members need training on how to deal with this. If its a random roll out, it won't be good. I'm not talking accidental shootings or anything but with the way cops approach people.

It's going to be terrible no matter how much training they have on the issue.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Actually works for me but I'll throw this back at you.....and I'll catch my flak.

This can't go into effect immediately, the 4000 members need training on how to deal with this. If its a random roll out, it won't be good. I'm not talking accidental shootings or anything but with the way cops approach people.

There are 4000 members in the gun registration unit?

It seems, the training for constitutional carry was issued via email, so the training for looking at DC permits can be issued via email. problem solved :thumbsup:

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    It's going to be terrible no matter how much training they have on the issue.

Not really. We do In service all the time and this CCW, laws, approach, interaction, and whatever else needs to be apart of it. Quell the cops CCW fears......dc has not had carry in forever

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Ok, since self defense is valid, you'll only need to submit 10 documented threats in writing.

DC should do it. Then Gura can ask for a TRO, then if granted, we go back to Constitutional carry until they get it right or they appeal and get a stay from the Circuit.

Work for me.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    There are 4000 members in the gun registration unit?

It seems, the training for constitutional carry was issued via email, so the training for looking at DC permits can be issued via email. problem solved :thumbsup:

Hahahahaha and I thought you were the think before you speak type.

CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    I saw Chief Lanier give a press conference last Monday where she encouraged the public to still call 911 and report anyone carrying a gun. It implied regardless of what they were doing (ie picking up litter or pushing a baby stroller).

She then instructed MPD officers to stop and ID open carriers to establish residency. In the case of DC residence to demand proof of registration. The goal is obvious.

If and when DC does comply, these unlawful stops may be the next issue.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Is residency via license checking RAS or PC of a crime about to be committed, in progress or afoot when engaged in a then (few days ago) protected activity?

How does that comport with Terry? Do they stop drivers to check licenses without any evidence of an infraction?

Not being a smart a$$-really ant to know this

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    I saw Chief Lanier give a press conference last Monday where she encouraged the public to still call 911 and report anyone carrying a gun. It implied regardless of what they were doing (ie picking up litter or pushing a baby stroller).

She then instructed MPD officers to stop and ID open carriers to establish residency. In the case of DC residence to demand proof of registration. The goal is obvious.

If and when DC does comply, these unlawful stops may be the next issue.

Hence why I said delay the decision for a year and train the cops.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    Is residency via license checking RAS or PC of a crime about to be committed, in progress or afoot when engaged in a then (few days ago) protected activity?

How does that comport with Terry? Do they stop drivers to check licenses without any evidence of an infraction?

Not being a smart as-really ant to know this

The teletype said carry (for those few days) was neither RAS or PC

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Her purported statements about license checking don't comport with her teletype orders on licensing checking with no RAS or PC and could result in more lawsuits IMO. I agree training is needed-even apparently for the Chief if the statement was accurately reported. Maybe it was a mis quote.

rem87062597

Annapolis, MD
    Jul 13, 2012
    DC is not in the 4CA. They are in the DC Circuit.4 CA precedents are not binding on the DC Circuit.

I know but it's a great argument for why what DC is doing isn't legal. When they get sued for this it's probably going to go roughly the same way as that case went.

CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    Or just train Chief Lanier not to give unlawful orders.

I'm not cop bashing. No doubt it's a difficult situation for both sides. Training and time to adjust will be beneficial for everyone.

I once had a verbal altercation with a LEO who tried to move my fire hose in an attempt to open up a travel lane, putting my crew's safety at risk. I'm still not over that.

ryan_j

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2013
    The precedent is not binding but I bet they think that since SCOTUS denied cert for Woollard, Drake and Kachalsky that may-issue is safe from being struck down by SCOTUS.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    The precedent is not binding but I bet they think that since SCOTUS denied cert for Woollard, Drake and Kachalsky that may-issue is safe from being struck down by SCOTUS.

That's my thinking as well.

ryan_j

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2013
    During the debates in Illinois some wanted a NY style law, seeing that Kachalsky was denied cert...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Noha

Latest threads

Top Bottom