• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • flyingblind

Oct 3, 2012
    Police barred from Vermont gun range over proposed semi-automatic rifle ban
    The battle over the right to bear arms is flaring in Vermont, where a local gun range has moved to prohibit the Burlington Police Department from training at its facilities after the City Council voted to advance a measure banning semi-automatic rifles and large-capacity magazines.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013...tic-rifle-ban/

The leadership of the Lamoille Valley Fish and Game Club explained that it's "difficult" for the club to support the city -- even its officers -- given the actions of the council.

"We have members in Burlington as well as members of our club that are going to be passing through Burlington and this would directly affect them and we felt that a prejudicial vote like that was going to be non-supportive of our club and being non-supportive of our club makes it very difficult to support Burlington City," said Bob Boivin, chairman of the Lamoille Valley Fish and Game Club.
    "It is a constitutional issue. I mean, it's not just a Second Amendment constitutional issue; but it's also a constitutional issue for Vermont. We have laws that have the state governing our gun controls in this area and they're looking to supersede those," he said.

The group's ban will affect how and when officers train in the state, where such facilities are limited.
    In response, the Burlington Police Department released a statement saying: "It is unfortunate that this important and much-needed community dialogue regarding gun control currently under way in the City of Burlington and across the nation has resulted in this action."
    The city government is defending the measure.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013...#ixzz2JJZrHDut

Atlasarmory

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 2, 2009
    Glen Burnie
    I wonder who will end up picking up the tab when firearm manufacturer's start raising their prices on their law enforcement and military sales to offset the lost civilan sales. Hmmmm

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    good. Now we need a few gun manufacturers to show the backbone of ronnie barrett when he told ca to f themselves if they wanted his rifles after banning them for the regular joe.

GLOCKMED

Sep 8, 2012
    Banning Cops hurts the People of the community and the cops as well. The community does not understand the need for such practice and muscle memory until something bad happens them or someone they know. and they wished they had a gun or had put more rounds down range.

Jackson923

Hell Yeah!
    Jan 25, 2008
    Harford Co
    It doesn't sound like they are blaming the cops, just trying to make a point with the city. The link is no good or story removed

Agree with your statement, this wasn't against the police officers as individuals this was against the City and it's employees not the individuals themselves. Would like to follow up on this to see if the City spends the money now to build it's own range for the officers to practice on since the F&G provided them the range use (wonder if they charged the City for the use prior to this)?

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    Sorry, but when it boils down to it - the police work for the government.

If government wants to "assert control" over the people, which is the reverse of the way our republic was intended to operate, then the people have a right to protest.

Banning government employees from private ranges sends a message, loud and clear - WE WILL NOT TOLERATE OUR RIGHTS BEING INFRINGED.

You say it's dumb to punish police for the acts of their superiors? Sorry, but the politicians who are trying to punish millions of us for the act of one psycho, opened that Pandora's Box.

jpk1md

Ultimate Member
    Jan 13, 2007
    Think of Burlington as the Baltimore of Vermont

No shortage of stupidity in local government..........Bernie Sanders is the former Mayor of Burlington

md_rick_o

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 30, 2008
    Severn Md.
    I don't blame them at all. The truth is a private club can allow who they want and the city council shouldn't expect everyone to just go along quietly.

TyFromMD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 31, 2011
    Maryland
    You would think the state with the fewest murders in the country, and the most relaxed gun laws in the country would see the correlation between the two and leave shit alone.

I've been shooting up there with my Spikes AR. Most of the people on the range were shooting scoped bolt actions in bench vises. They looked at me like I was wasting ammo when I was shooting open sighted at 100 yards until they saw my target.

Splitter

R.I.P.
    Jun 25, 2008
    Westminster, MD
    Maybe the community should think twice about whom they elect, then?

Private club, they can do as they wish. The police cam go to another range, that will be inconvenient and add some expense. Or, they can build their own range at the city's expense. They elected officials.brought this upon themselves by taking such a stand...and the people elected them. Let the people bear the expense of their decision.

The police will enforce the ban. Who knows, maybe the brass supported the ban? They can still find or build range facilities, just at trouble and expense. It is not inoppropriate that they are part of this.

I DO hope manufacturers stop theirs LEO discounts for government entities (not individual police). Let them pay retail like everyone else. Maybe the police...the unions and brass....will re-examine their official stances.

I have no problem with letting others in on the pain this mess has caused.

Splitter

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom