• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Phoenix_1295

Creature of Life and Fire
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 6, 2010
    MD
    This may be of interest to those who carry. There are virtual offerings, so you can attend from the comfort of your home.

Presented by the National Criminal Justice Training Center (NCJTC).

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    Without actually viewing the training yet, I will be cautiously optimistic. If done well, de-escalation is a good tool. If it's "be a good victim" stuff like the workplace "safety" videos that were all the rage, that's BS.

Avoidance and escape are preferable to engagement, generally speaking. Any tool can have it's place. When subject to a blitz attack, verbal de-escalation is not a viable tool. When approached by an unknown subject on the street who engages verbally, it's best to have some options short of pulling a gun.

Some Guy

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 26, 2017
    It's an interesting course.

I read this college's annual financial report. They get a lot of federal and state grants for their programs. I sent them a note to find out if they used federal and state grant money to develop and present the course, and if so, if the registration cost can be eliminated because the public has already paid for the course development with their taxes. It's a long shot but if she comes back with a reduced cost or elimination of cost I'll let you know.

Here's the financial report from the school, see pages 91-96 for information about government grants.

MaxVO2

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Without actually viewing the training yet, I will be cautiously optimistic. If done well, de-escalation is a good tool. If it's "be a good victim" stuff like the workplace "safety" videos that were all the rage, that's BS.

****This. Having more tools available to hopefully prevent having to draw and shoot someone through verbal de-escalation and other such techniques has its place. There are obviously situations where it will decidedly not work (if you are attacked unprovoked, with possible deadly force, etc..).

Looks like an interesting course.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    Very interesting, reminds me of those shoot don't shoot scenarios, more tools in your pocket to use in case you need it
    Shameless plug for craig douglas; he does some great courses in this vein. Yes I paid full price. And would have spent more.

Even if you intend to employ a tool on a threat who is engaging verbally or physically with you, there can be openings, created by verbal or nonverbal communication, that offer you an advantage in time or opponent focus to access a tool.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Avoidance and escape are preferable to engagement, generally speaking. Any tool can have it's place. When subject to a blitz attack, verbal de-escalation is not a viable tool. When approached by an unknown subject on the street who engages verbally, it's best to have some options short of pulling a gun.

Pepper gel is a reasonable non-lethal option. The mere sight of it has de-escalated a couple situations for me.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I've heard of it. What was it like? Entirely worthless or just padded and commercialized?
    I forgot the original guy who started it. And actually, never even paid attention to it. Made it through working the streets just fine without it.

Verbal judo=just don't say stuff to escalate anything.
    That being said, if someone is wanting to fight, they will and you aren't talking them down.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    I've heard of it. What was it like? Entirely worthless or just padded and commercialized?
    It isn't wholly dissimilar to the "active listening" that's taught now. Maybe of some value to someone in a mental health crisis but not widely applicable to the broader population.

Some Guy

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 26, 2017
    It's an interesting course.

I read this college's annual financial report. They get a lot of federal and state grants for their programs. I sent them a note to find out if they used federal and state grant money to develop and present the course, and if so, if the registration cost can be eliminated because the public has already paid for the course development with their taxes. It's a long shot but if she comes back with a reduced cost or elimination of cost I'll let you know.

Here's the financial report from the school, see pages 91-96 for information about government grants.

I contacted the guy that runs the course and he said that they don't used federal or state money for this course. I asked if we had 5-10 people that might want to enroll in the course could we get a discount. He said he'd be up for talking about it.

If you are interested in taking this course please PM me by Thursday morning. Once I have an idea of the number of people that are interested we can check in w/ the course guy and see what he says.

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom