• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    I wonder where are all the ar fanboys now?

When someone can post that a definition of a battle rifle needs to include turning it into a flamethrower by using it outside of what it was designed to do we'll all bow our heads to the mighty AK.

Until then folks are going to like different rifles for different reasons.

But it's more fun to try and instigate things for you here. We get it.

Straightbolt

unindicted co-conspirator
    Apr 4, 2015
    The 'Burbs
    A WASR is closer to your standard AK than a VEPR. It is a huge difference.

What's a standard AK ?
    WASR is pretty much the bottom of the barrel IMHO
    I have a US made milled receiver and a Polish Milled that seem pretty standard and are built like tanks.

ericoak

don't drop Aboma on me
    Feb 20, 2010
    Howard County
    What's a standard AK ?
    WASR is pretty much the bottom of the barrel IMHO
    I have a US made milled receiver and a Polish Milled that seem pretty standard and are built like tanks.

The VEPR has a 1.5mm receiver, thicker barrel, and thicker trunnion. The only military rifles I know of with all those improvements were RPKs, which are light machine guns. If you increased the strength and thermal inertia of any rifle it will also be able to shoot more.

Straightbolt

Apr 4, 2015
    The 'Burbs
    The VEPR has a 1.5mm receiver, thicker barrel, and thicker trunnion. The only military rifles I know of with all those improvements were RPKs, which are light machine guns. If you increased the strength and thermal inertia of any rifle it will also be able to shoot more.

Agreed and the WASR with the commonly canted front sight etc. is still the bottom of the barrel. My US made AK has a Mossberg barrel can't say how it compares to a Vepr. It's not full auto anyway but I wish it was :)

ericoak

don't drop Aboma on me
    Feb 20, 2010
    Howard County
    Agreed and the WASR with the commonly canted front sight etc. is still the bottom of the barrel. My US made AK has a Mossberg barrel can't say how it compares to a Vepr.

Definitely has poor build quality, but the parts that the guns are made of should be combloc standard. Canted sights and tool marks aren't optimum but they won't cause the gun to fail.

I'll take a WASR with a forged trunnion over the new USA manufactured ones with cast trunnions any day.

Straightbolt

Apr 4, 2015
    The 'Burbs
    Definitely has poor build quality, but the parts that the guns are made of should be combloc standard. Canted sights and tool marks aren't optimum but they won't cause the gun to fail.

I'll take a WASR with a forged trunnion over the new USA manufactured ones with cast trunnions any day.

Mine is milled :D

AssMan

Meh...
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2011
    Somewhere on the James River, VA
    As Erik said, this really isn't an AK v. AR thing. The platforms are too different. I'm not even sure what this (completely impractical) type of testing proves other than the VEPR is pretty stout! I like most any gun, but have spent a lot of time shooting the VEPR and $$$ customizing it so I'm glad to see it fare well FWIW.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    VEPR is built at the former Soviet factory that made AK-pattern, light machine guns. It's sturdy. It will definitely do things a standard AK cannot, up to a point. It's a bit heavier but everything about it is tighter and more substantial.

I had an old Robarms in x39 and I sold it, wish I hadn't. If they were still legal here I'd buy one in each caliber.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom