• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wreckdiver

Ultimate Member
    Nov 13, 2008
    Anyone change up their CCW? I usually carry my Glock 43x in an IWB holster. Decided today to mix it up and carry a compact 1911 in a leather IWB holster cocked and locked. I know there’s comfort and security it a familiar manual of arms, but just wanted to see if I liked carrying the 1911.

Spaceballs

Sep 7, 2022
    Pennsylvania
    My outfit choice determines a lot.

In the summer a tiny P365 will disappear in a t shirt and shorts. And it's easy to get a hand on when it's only covered by a single layer of t shirt. But a Glock 19 is harder to conceal.

The Glock 19 is what I'd prefer but it's just not easy to conceal in the summer.

In the winter with jeans and a sweatshirt or jacket the Glock 19 is much more manageable. Conversely the P365 is too small under all thoae clothing layers and is too hard to get a handle on quickly.

Meanwhile a Glock 30sf is fat in every direction. It's easy to conceal under a winter coat. And it's wider grip makes it easier for me to draw and control with winter gloves on. So if I'm out in the bitter cold, the 30sf is my preference.

TwinTurbskis

professional amateur
    Jun 9, 2020
    Derwood, MD
    I only switch it up to try out something new and see if I like it better. I personally don't think there's anything wrong with changing it up as long as its a gun you're familiar with and trust.

Phoenix_1295

Creature of Life and Fire
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 6, 2010
    MD
    I alternate between two, a .40 and a 9, depending on garments or activity. I also alternate my weekly training so that I remain proficient with both.

scottyfz6

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2018
    I carry a 365 all the time, but do switch to my p99 somedays but only with colder weather gear. I do also mix in my cco sometimes, but i have shot 1911's for ever so the safety is not an issue.

I actually think shooting a bunch of guns makes you more proficient over all, it keeps the basics important. You stop just assuming its pointing where you think for example.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    I have a handful of carry pistols that are all regularly carried, depending on the situation. They all get rounds through them when I go to the range, usually 3 or 4 are on the bench at the AGC pistol range when I visit on any given trip. I try to hit the range at least two or three times a month, sometimes more.

Chaim

Aug 10, 2008
    Columbia
    I had planned on a full rotation. I have a lot of CCW type guns that I like and instead of choosing one or two, I thought I'd have several for different situations and also sometimes change up within a category.

When carrying out of state on a non-resident permit, that works. Frequent carry was once a month typically. So, switching off wasn't a big deal, and when going for days at a time, I'd bring one CCW gun (or a main plus a BUG). I did go with DAO, striker, DA/SA (decocker only, no external safety) and revolvers to keep it as simple to switch as possible and always have the same action to put my guns into use if needed.

Well, after nearly 3 months of carrying daily, I have found that I don't switch up as much as I thought. I love my CZ PCR, but of course, the similar use Glock 19 is lighter. I thought I'd switch between them almost by mood. I love my P365, revolvers, and 1911s. My 1st gen S&W M&P 40c is a great carry gun. I thought I'd often switch.

I don't like carrying for more than a month or two without practicing with the carry gun. I don't clean my guns after every range trip (the last few months, I've been going once a week or so). I don't carry a dirty gun. So, I will switch between the PCR and G19, but not day to day, only based on which is in my range bag and which has been more recently cleaned and is in a holster. Same with the P365 and M&P 40c. I'm not switching based on where I'm going and how I'm dressing as much as by which gun's "turn" it is to get range time this month. It is even more a thing with my carry revolvers (new model Colt King Cobra, Taurus 856UL, S&W 442, and Taurus 85CH) since there are 5-6 chambers to clean each time I clean them.

Still, I do have some variation for different situations. I have either the M&P 40c or SIG P365 ready when I need a more concealable gun. I have either the G19 or PCR ready for when I want something bigger. I always have one of the lightweight aluminum revolvers ready for when I want to carry a backup in a pocket (or I'm just dropping something in my pocket to take out the trash or walk to the mailbox). I am back to not carrying a 1911 to keep the manual of arms as close as possible (plus, most of my 1911s aren't quite reliable enough, though my 100% reliable S&W 1911SC has become my bed stand gun lately). That said, my P365 with a 12 round mag is my favorite carry gun, so I may actually buy a 2nd and do what I never thought I'd do, standardize on one carry gun and switch them periodically between which is the carry and range gun (though I'd continue to use the aluminum snubs in the niche role for occasional pocket carry).

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom