• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    It has to be transfered though an MD FFL. Along with the attendent wait.

L0gic

Ultimate Member
    Mar 2, 2013
    I may be way off base with this, but wasn't there some exception for transfers between direct family members? Or was that only if both family members are residents of the same state?

FWPhoto

Jun 3, 2013
    Waldorf, MD
    I don't know the specific answer to your question but if it's determined that you must go through an FFL, I strongly suggest that you go to the linked thread below to choose your FFL. Only half are releasing after 8 days. I have never done a personal transfer so I'm not sure if she'd have to wait like the rest of us schmucks but if she does, choose your FFL wisely.

http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=121404

MDGolom

Ultimate Member
    Sep 29, 2010
    Baltimore County
    I may be way off base with this, but wasn't there some exception for transfers between direct family members? Or was that only if both family members are residents of the same state?

I believe it's addressed in Maryland law, but you're dealing with interstate transfers which is federal. I'm pretty sure this needs to go through a Maryland FFL.

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    yes, transfers between family members can be done at the Maryland State Police Barracks of your choice ONLY if both parties live in MD. Transfer from someone out of state, even if family, means Federal laws apply and it has to go thru MD FFL. Some FFLs allow VA firearm owners to transport directly to MD to shop here. Others FFLs require the firearm to be mailed from VA FFL. You'll just have to ask about each shops rules and whether they are doing transfers after 8 days or are waiting til all state background checks are done.

AKbythebay

Ultimate Member
    Can I ask a related (sort of) question? I am also in the process of selling a rifle to a coworker in Virginia. Can I do that FTF with no background check? I was just going to write up an invoice and have both of us sign it.

matt

No one special
    Apr 9, 2011
    Can I ask a related (sort of) question? I am also in the process of selling a rifle to a coworker in Virginia. Can I do that FTF with no background check? I was just going to write up an invoice and have both of us sign it.

Any (for simplicity) transfer over state lines must utilize a FFL on the receiving end at the minimum. Md regulated or not regulated- doesn't matter.

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    MATT is correct. The confusion occurs because VA dealers can sell a rifle to a MD citizen at a VA shop or show, but only because of the rule allowing dealers in states that touch MD's border to do so. But FTF across state lines is a no-no.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    The law requiring a state to touch MD for a long gun sale is no longer applicable IIRC. I know there was a thread about it a while back.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    The adjoining state thing has not been a requirement since the 80s.

All interstate transfers have to go through an FFL, with the buyer physically present at the FFL. Federal Law

For MD non-regulated guns to an MD resident, the FFL can be in MD or another state. Federal.

For MD regulated guns to MD resident, it has to go through an MD FFL. MD State Law.

Yoboney

Sep 2, 2008
    Good morning. I have a coworker who lived in Virginia. His daughter lives in Maryland. He wants to give one of his handguns to his daughter.

What is required by Maryland law for this?

Thanks

Where does he live now? I would tell him to just loan the gun to her and not worry about it. It is not being sold..just loaned and not an illegal transfer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom