• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DZ

Ultimate Member
    Oct 9, 2005
    Mount Airy, MD
    Had my head in the mud for a few months and if its been beaten to death here- fahgive mah.

Heard that VA is no longer accepting non-resident FL CCW permits, but one could still get a non-res VA permit.

Myth or Fact?

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    Ut-oh. . .

Well, here is the written agreement, for your own perusal:
    http://www.vcdl.org/new/Florida_Reciprocity_Agreement.pdf

There is NO question that a FL resident can carry in VA legally under the FL permit. . .

Although it is widely (unofficially) accepted, as **complete** reciprocity, meaning non-FL resident as well, I guess you'd need to be an attorney to know for sure your non-resident status doesn't disqualify you.

In one paragraph, the agreement references "citizens of FL", while the meat of the agreement says "valid FL license holders" . . .

Whew, glad I didn't have to shoot anybody last weekend, in more ways than one . . . :banghead:

Here is the VCDL site, with their take on it:
    http://www.vcdl.org/new/reciprocity.htm

If you go to Florida's site, they say they will not honor VA's non-resident permits . . see "Note 6".

While "turnabout is fair play" and one might assume VA feels the same way, I would then note that WV will not honor a FL non-resident's FL permit, and it clearly says so in FL's Note 4. So, in the interest of consistency, were one be prone to *assume* things, that page would indicate that VA WILL honor the FL non-resident permit. http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/news/concealed_carry.html

BTW, thanks a LOT for asking this question . . . :sad20:

The real answer is to ask VA's state's attorney in writing and carry the (favorable?!) response letter with you while packing.

xd40c

Business Owner-Gun Toter
    Sep 20, 2007
    East Earl, PA
    Ut-oh. . .

Well, here is the written agreement, for your own perusal:
    http://www.vcdl.org/new/Florida_Reciprocity_Agreement.pdf

There is NO question that a FL resident can carry in VA legally under the FL permit. . .

Although it is widely (unofficially) accepted, as **complete** reciprocity, meaning non-FL resident as well, I guess you'd need to be an attorney to know for sure your non-resident status doesn't disqualify you.

In one paragraph, the agreement references "citizens of FL", while the meat of the agreement says "valid FL license holders" . . .

Whew, glad I didn't have to shoot anybody last weekend, in more ways than one . . . :banghead:

Here is the VCDL site, with their take on it:
    http://www.vcdl.org/new/reciprocity.htm

If you go to Florida's site, they say they will not honor VA's non-resident permits . . see "Note 6".

While "turnabout is fair play" and one might assume VA feels the same way, I would then note that WV will not honor a FL non-resident's FL permit, and it clearly says so in FL's Note 4. So, in the interest of consistency, were one be prone to *assume* things, that page would indicate that VA WILL honor the FL non-resident permit. http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/news/concealed_carry.html

BTW, thanks a LOT for asking this question . . . :sad20:

The real answer is to ask VA's state's attorney in writing and carry the (favorable?!) response letter with you while packing.

Florida does not honor any non-resident permits.

I agree, the question needs to be raised for clarification though.

I am relying on my FL permit to carry in VA. This is very pertinent to me right now. Think I'll fire off an email and see what comes back.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    Florida does not honor any non-resident permits.
    Since I have an FL CCW, I never even looked to see who's non-res, if any, FL honored.

I agree, the question needs to be raised for clarification though.
    Considering the stakes, absolutely.

I am relying on my FL permit to carry in VA. This is very pertinent to me right now. Think I'll fire off an email and see what comes back.

Yeah, same here, and have been for a good while . . .

I'd be very interested in the reply to your query . . .TY.

Last edited:

DZ

Ultimate Member
    Oct 9, 2005
    Mount Airy, MD
    I'll also ask those who told me for sources.

Another good reason why carry permits should act like driver's liscences...

K-Romulus

Suburban Commando
    Mar 15, 2007
    NE MoCO
    There was an issue earlier this year where the Pennsylvania State Police said it was not honoring Florida Non-resident permits, but WAS honoring Virginia non-res. That was quickly resolved by a b-slap from the PA Attorney General.

Could your source have gotten this story mixed up with the result being what they told you?

Last edited:

Jim Sr

R.I.P.
    Jun 18, 2005
    Annapolis MD
    FROM \ IDriveB5:

can't seem to post, can you do the honors?
    for whatever reason, my server isnt allowing me to post, but I can send PMs... Could you post the following to the linked thread? Dont want to loose the post.

http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=3441

Quote:
    Originally Posted by IDriveB5
    Well, I've found a couple of things:

It appears that VA will accept non-resident FL permits, but FL will not accept VA non-resident, at this time.

http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Firearms_Reciprocity.shtm
    Quote:
    Virginia extends reciprocity or recognition to citizens holding both resident and non-resident permits/licenses from the following jurisdictions as set forth below:

Listing of states with which Virginia has Reciprocity Agreements*:

Alaska
    Florida
    Kentucky
    North Carolina
    Ohio

Virginia non-resident permit holders – Virginia non-resident permit holders should contact each reciprocal state to determine if their permit will be recognized prior to carrying in that jurisdiction.

Effective June 7, 2007, West Virginia law has changed and the State of West Virginia will no longer honor Virginia non-resident permits.
    Florida law does not grant reciprocity to holders of Virginia non-resident permits.
    http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/new...led_carry.html

Quote:
    PLEASE NOTE: The reciprocity information on this page is ALWAYS CURRENT. The Division of Licensing constantly monitors changing gun laws in other states and attempts to negotiate agreements as the laws in those states allow. This list was last updated on June 12, 2007, when West Virginia became the 31st state to enter into an agreement with Florida.

FLORIDA'S RECIPROCITY STATES
    Alabama (1,5)
    Alaska (1)
    Arizona (6,7)
    Arkansas (1)
    Colorado (1,4)
    Delaware
    Georgia (1)
    Idaho (6)
    Indiana (1,3,6)
    Kansas (1,4)
    Kentucky
    Louisiana (1)
    Michigan (1,4)
    Mississippi (1)
    Missouri (1,8)
    Montana
    New Hampshire (1,4,6)
    New Mexico (1)
    North Carolina (1)
    North Dakota (1,3,6)
    Ohio (1)
    Oklahoma (1)
    Pennsylvania (1,6)
    South Dakota (1,3)
    Tennessee (1)
    Texas (1,6)
    Utah (1,6)
    Vermont (1,2)
    Virginia (1,6)
    West Virginia (1,4)
    Wyoming (1)

(1) While Florida's law allows licensees to carry stun guns, knives, and billy clubs in a concealed fashion, the laws in these states allow for concealed carry of handguns or pistols ONLY, NOT WEAPONS IN GENERAL. Florida license holders are prohibited from carrying other types of weapons while in these states.

(6) These states issue concealed carry licenses to qualified individuals who are non-residents. These non-resident permits cannot be honored under Florida's reciprocity provision.

gibby

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2007
    Bel Air, MD
    Just to make sure that I am reading this right. I have a non-resident Florida permit. I can legally carry in PA and VA. Or is it saying that PA and VA non-resident permits can't carry in Florida. I have heard so many variation, I am starting to get confused.

DZ

Ultimate Member
    Oct 9, 2005
    Mount Airy, MD
    Jim, thanks for posting my post, not sure why I couldnt get it to post.

gibby-
    according to FL's website, and my best understand, FL's non-resident permit IS accepted by PA and VA

on the hand, FL does NOT accept VA, PA and it seems any other state's non-res permit

gibby

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2007
    Bel Air, MD
    thanks for the clarification. I would think that because PA and VA accepts a non-resident FLorida permit, that Florida would do the same for PA and VA. The idea being reciprocity I would think that PA and VA might do the same to Florida in the future.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    As I had posted above, there is no mention that VA will not accept non-resident FL at the VSP site, and one would expect it to be appear there, if nowhere else.

Further, FL's updated (June 12th of this year) reciprocity page specifically states that WV will NOT honor a non-resident FL, yet does not say this with VA.

Therefore, ALL AVAILABLE indications show that the non-resident FL permit WILL be honored in VA. While this alone convinces *me*, I DO have to acknowledge that a web page from FL is no good to VSP in the middle of a stop . . . .

**IMHO**, this issue is self-induced confusion here and K-Romulus nailed it when he suggested that we are confusing this with the other *rumor* that PA had quit honoring non-res FL, but PA's site specifically clarified that they WILL honor ANY valid FL permit.

Obviously, the ONLY way to be 100% sure is to contact the VA State's Attorney with specific regard to this "issue", which xd40c had intended to do, and I assume we still await VA's response to xd40c's Q . . . .

Myself, I continue to carry in VA for my 6th year, under my FL CCW, without concern. I travel with copies of both FL's and VS's (and DE, TN, KY, OH and anyplace else I expect to regularly go about armed) reciprocity pages in my vehicle with me. I feel that I do so in good faith and in compliance with the law as best it can be understood with the published material from both states. I believe my FL card is GTG and that the *real* issue is going to come down to whether it's a righteous shoot if TSHTF . . .

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    O-Tay . . . enough fooling around with this (hopefully) non-issue:

To "firearms@vsp.virginia.gov"

Dear Sir/Madam,

I am a non-resident of Florida, a non-resident of Virginia, and have a valid permit to carry a concealed weapon ("CCW"), issued by the state of Florida.

I have read:

1) Florida's CCW reciprocity information: http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/news/concealed_carry.html

2) Virginia's CCW reciprocity information: http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Firearms_Reciprocity.shtm

3) The Virginia Citizen's Defense League's ('VCDL") file copy of the written agreement between Florida and Virginia: http://www.vcdl.org/new/Florida_Reciprocity_Agreement.pdf

Even though ALL available indications are that my Florida non-resident CCW is honored in the state of Virginia, I am not an attorney and the fact that Florida does not honor non-resident permits from any other state, taken with the information that the agreement on file with VCDL references " . . . citizens of Florida . . . " casts some shadow of doubt in this for me and others in my situation.

As I frequently spend time in Virginia and sincerely wish to stay in compliance with Virginia's statutes, I feel compelled to specifically ask your policy on this issue.

I understand the restrictions imposed on CCW holders by the Commonwealth, with regard to all other rules, but my question is this:

Is my *non-resident* CCW issued by Florida indeed valid in Virginia?

Thank you very much for your assistance with this question and your timely response.

Best regards,

Ed Shell

Sent five minutes ago. I reckon we'll see. I will post results as soon as a response appears.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    OK, that was easy enough, and doggone FAST - now just quit worrying about it, LOL:

Dear Sir,

Yes, a valid Florida-issued nonresident permit is honored in Virginia.

Sincerely,

Donna K. Tate, Manager
    Firearms Transaction Center
    Virginia Department of State Police
    Tel: (804) 674-2210
    Fax: (804) 674-2791
    Donna.Tate@vsp.virginia.gov

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    LOL, made me jump . . .

ETA: If anyone wants a direct copy on this e-mail exchange, with dates, times, etc., PM your e-mail addy to me and I will forward this over to you

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Jtlambo

Latest threads

Top Bottom