• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Franken7

MDS Supporter
    Jan 14, 2023
    Pinelands
    Join VCDL, AND DONATE.
    I volunteered to man the VCDL booth at the Chantilly Gun Show this weekend. Great show! Not a lot of "non-gun" merchandise being sold.
    At the outside booth, we must have signed up 10 people in 45 minutes. At the end of my shift, Dick Heller came on board and he was drawing people like a magnet. I don't know how many joined after I left.

In trying to talk to people, there is a lot of complacency among gun owners, the mentality likely being that "let someone else do the heavy lifting" or" it's not going to affect me".

CrueChief

Cocker Dad/RIP Bella
    Apr 3, 2009
    Napolis-ish
    Could this be a tactical mistake on the part of the Dems?

They pass gun control bills that they know won't become law because of a Governor veto, BUT people see the kind of stuff they're willing to do and vote against them next time.

Maybe that's why they're doing it this year instead of next year when they have to run for office?
    This is no mistake even if this doesn't become law this time it will give the leftist a gauge of what they need to do next time. They don't fear us, they don't fear losing to us its why they shoot for the stars. Any lose to us is very short lived because the best we can muster is the lesser of two evils, which always leads to even worse dems.

AssMan

Meh...
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2011
    Somewhere on the James River, VA
    reporting from the last election shows at best 25% of registered rural Republicans voting. That doesn't even take into account those who haven't bothered to register to vote at all.
    Again, this is entirely unknowable. There is no such thing as a registered Republican voter in Virginia.
    In the 2022 election, less than half of Virginia's registered voters voted (3,021,956 out of 6,132,331 registered). The counties with the highest percentage turning out were Arlington, Fairfax, Loudon, etc. The huge swath of more rural counties were under 25% turnout.
    I absolutely agree that we can make assumptions about political leanings based on geography. But the 25% number only matters if rural counties ultimately elected Democrats to office. Said another way, if 25% turnout in rural areas is all it takes to elect a conservative in that district, then 100% turnout doesn't matter. Now, for statewide elections, turnout from rural areas does obviously matter.
    The math is not complicated. In some recent elections, you had Virginia districts in solidly red areas where a Democrat won the seat with only a small number of votes because they ran UNOPPOSED, with no Republican opponent at all. That they have the House by a couple of seats is 100% on complacent Republicans uninterested in voting.
    I also agree with this, and I posted this earlier - the VA GOP is failing conservative voters in VA.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    I'd like to see every gun shop in the country get set up to register new voters. Enocourage every customer to register and vote, if they aren't already. The let has "voter registration drives" all the time.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I'd like to see the numbers. I don't believe this is true or even knowable. Voters don't have party affiliations in VA, so how can you be so sure that 50% conservative turnout gets us a W?

Any actual stats about disparity in voting percentage?

Or is the turnout rates comparable, and the conservatives simply becoming outnumbered ?

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    With a conservative degree of inclusion, Northern VA population is minimum of 2.5 million . Add in areas around Richmond , Norfolk, and Charlottesville, and the split is very close to 50/ 50 .

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Lazy, as in, well less than half of the demographically conservative voters in Virginia bothered to vote last time. And the house went to the Dems by a couple of seats. There is no way to characterize that except as lazily disinterested in who controls the state legislature. The GOP in Virginia would run the executive AND the legislature if gun owners (read: more conservative residents) bothered to vote. By large margins, they don't even show up.

That's not a comment on how hard the VCDL and other organizations work, it's a comment on how hard to you have to work when it shouldn't even be an issue in the first place.
    It's not just that they're not voting, the Republican Party in Virginia didn't even have candidates running in several House districts so there wasn't a choice

BurkeM

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2014
    Baltimore
    Again, this is entirely unknowable. There is no such thing as a registered Republican voter in Virginia.

Worsley

I apologize for hurting your feelings!
    Jan 5, 2022
    Westminster
    Yup. All because county after rural Virginia county full of conservative people would rather do anything but vote. It’s suicidal.
    The Republican Party is a disgrace, that’s why republicans don’t go to vote.

Mule

Just Mule
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2013
    I'd like to see every gun shop in the country get set up to register new voters. Enocourage every customer to register and vote, if they aren't already. The let has "voter registration drives" all the time.
    That's an interesting idea, especially if that concept were to be combined with voluntary pamphlet distribution for the local/national pro-2A organizations.

That combination would theoretically help to engage as-of-yet-untapped resources that should help to increase the numbers of pro-2A voters, and it would also likely bolster the membership of those organizations.

(It may be even more impactful in jurisdictions where the government is attempting to compel speech with edicts on mandatory pamphlet distribution)

AssMan

Meh...
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2011
    Somewhere on the James River, VA
    Virginia registration STATISTICS. Dig as far as you like.
    Oh, I've looked at these. You'll find nothing about how many VA voters are registered as Republicans or what registered Republican voters did because there aren't any registered Republican voters.

It's probably not worth discussing anymore, but there are no voter affiliations in VA. I understand that MD does provide options for affiliations when voters register there, but in many other states (like VA), there is no such thing.

BurkeM

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2014
    Baltimore
    Oh, I've looked at these. You'll find nothing about how many VA voters are registered as Republicans or what registered Republican voters did because there aren't any registered Republican voters.

It's probably not worth discussing anymore, but there are no voter affiliations in VA. I understand that MD does provide options for affiliations when voters register there, but in many other states (like VA), there is no such thing.
    Agreed.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    So, two things...the prior bill was stopped by 2 Democratic senators, but one of those holdouts is now a sponsor of this bill. The other issue is a simple math problem. Even if conservative voters outperform Democratic voters at the "poles," we lose.

I personally won't comply with any of it, and given Bruen, there is likely to be an immediate injunction, but we're kidding ourselves if we think we can just vote harder to make it all go away.
    Injunctions against AWBs aren't going well nationwide from what I've seen

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    It's not just that they're not voting, the Republican Party in Virginia didn't even have candidates running in several House districts so there wasn't a choice

The Vacuum is growing for the New Whig Party to step up .

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom