• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    It's a pain in the ass and a costly process. The guide this week has close to 4 pages of people applying for a CCDW license. People are definitely worried.

You should post a picture with the names redacted. Good reality check :thumbsup:

AKbythebay

Ultimate Member
    DE is funny. A resident who wants a permit has to notify they're local newspaper and it must be announced publicly that they're going for a permit.

I looked into this a few years back and I want to say they required you to get letters from a certain number of Delaware residents stating that you are a kind and gentle person and were a perfect candidate for a CC permit (or something along those lines). Do they still do this? I remember thinking that would be a huge hurdle for any new resident of the state since they may not know any other residents personally.

Delaware is also strange in that it is easier for residents in other states (like me) to carry in their state than their own citizens. I guess us Marylanders can sort of relate to this.

The sphinx

Ultimate Member
    Jun 27, 2013
    Delaware
    I looked into this a few years back and I want to say they required you to get letters from a certain number of Delaware residents stating that you are a kind and gentle person and were a perfect candidate for a CC permit (or something along those lines). Do they still do this? I remember thinking that would be a huge hurdle for any new resident of the state since they may not know any other residents personally.

Delaware is also strange in that it is easier for residents in other states (like me) to carry in their state than their own citizens. I guess us Marylanders can sort of relate to this.

Yes. A new application has a form to fill out that requires 5 residents that live in the same county as the applicant. It just asked for name,address,how long have you known the applicant,do you know why the applicant is applying for a license and are you aware of any reason the applicant should not be issued a license. To make it harder on new residents, they also want a copy of your previous state driving record and all references must have known you at least a year. None of those are in the law as a requirement but being a May issue state they can do things like that. I was fortunate that i knew quite a few Delaware residents before I moved here.

AKbythebay

Ultimate Member
    Yes. A new application has a form to fill out that requires 5 residents that live in the same county as the applicant. It just asked for name,address,how long have you known the applicant,do you know why the applicant is applying for a license and are you aware of any reason the applicant should not be issued a license. To make it harder on new residents, they also want a copy of your previous state driving record and all references must have known you at least a year. None of those are in the law as a requirement but being a May issue state they can do things like that. I was fortunate that i knew quite a few Delaware residents before I moved here.

What a PITA. Obviously designed to #1 discourage new residents from obtaining a CCW permit and #2 to a lesser extend discourage longtime residents from doing the same.

I may be retiring in Delaware but that's 10+ years off. Hopefully things get a little better by then, but I suspect with the Philly suburbs running the show it may get worse :mad54:

The sphinx

Ultimate Member
    Jun 27, 2013
    Delaware
    What a PITA. Obviously designed to #1 discourage new residents from obtaining a CCW permit and #2 to a lesser extend discourage longtime residents from doing the same.

I may be retiring in Delaware but that's 10+ years off. Hopefully things get a little better by then, but I suspect with the Philly suburbs running the show it may get worse :mad54:

That definitely worries me. New castle county runs this state they get practically whatever they want. They tried unsuccessfully after sandy hook to get an AWB and magazine size down to 10. All they did get was universal background checks which did nothing for crime in Dover and Wilmington. A carry license does exempt people from the private sale background check though. Also our knife laws a horrible. No switchblades or gravity knives and can't conceal carry a knife unless it's folding and blade length under 3"

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    just heard it on the radio while doing errands..

good news that utah is still accepted.. (gtg for now)

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    i've said it before buy people need to be cognizant that the GFSZA does not cover carry on a reciprocal permit.

not a big deal

shocker998md

Ultimate Member
    May 29, 2009
    Snow Hill MD
    Well this sucks for me. My nc permit won't work anymore and I'll have to drive more then half way of my trip to the eastern shore un armed instead of 10 minutes at the md/va line.

Looks like I'll be getting fuel in nc and no more wawa stops in va beach now.

This sucks.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    Well this sucks for me. My nc permit won't work anymore and I'll have to drive more then half way of my trip to the eastern shore un armed instead of 10 minutes at the md/va line.

Looks like I'll be getting fuel in nc and no more wawa stops in va beach now.

This sucks.

At least for the drive through VA, you may have a loaded handgun a compartment in the vehicle like the glovebox or center console or a container. It does not need to be locked.

http://www.oag.state.va.us/files/Opinions/2012/11-111_Newman.pdf

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    yeah let's go after the good folks that have applied for and received concealed carry permits and survived background checks. the ignorance is just overwhelming.

how many people are wounded or killed by perps out on bail, or out on early release, or just out despite committing violent crimes? why can't 'they' just focus on that first?

while I can see VA not caring that out of state folks now have to spend time and money to get a VA permit to carry in VA, they should care that VA residents now have to do likewise to carry in other states that will be revoking their rights due to reciprocity rules.

I've been meaning to join vcdl but it's gonna happen today.

Reptile

Ultimate Member
    Sep 29, 2014
    Columbia MD
    yeah let's go after the good folks that have applied for and received concealed carry permits and survived background checks. the ignorance is just overwhelming.

how many people are wounded or killed by perps out on bail, or out on early release, or just out despite committing violent crimes? why can't 'they' just focus on that first?

while I can see VA not caring that out of state folks now have to spend time and money to get a VA permit to carry in VA, they should care that VA residents now have to do likewise to carry in other states that will be revoking their rights due to reciprocity rules.

I've been meaning to join vcdl but it's gonna happen today.

You might be a liberal politician if you enact legislation to solve a problem that doesn't exist. You might be a liberal voter if you believe that the legislation actually accomplished something worthwhile.

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    Came across this: http://law.lis.virginia.gov/vacode/18.2-308.014/
    § 18.2-308.014. Reciprocity. Bills amending this Section A. A valid concealed handgun or concealed weapon permit or license issued by another state shall authorize the holder of such permit or license who is at least 21 years of age to carry a concealed handgun in the Commonwealth, provided (i) the issuing authority provides the means for instantaneous verification of the validity of all such permits or licenses issued within that state, accessible 24 hours a day, and (ii) except for the age of the permit or license holder and the type of weapon authorized to be carried, the requirements and qualifications of that state's law are adequate to prevent possession of a permit or license by persons who would be denied a permit in the Commonwealth under this article. The Superintendent of State Police shall (a) in consultation with the Office of the Attorney General determine whether states meet the requirements and qualifications of this subsection, (b) maintain a registry of such states on the Virginia Criminal Information Network (VCIN), and (c) make the registry available to law-enforcement officers for investigative purposes. The Superintendent of the State Police, in consultation with the Attorney General, may also enter into agreements for reciprocal recognition with any state qualifying for recognition under this subsection. B. A valid concealed handgun permit issued by Maryland shall be valid in the Commonwealth, provided (i) the holder of the permit is licensed in Maryland to perform duties substantially similar to those performed by Virginia branch pilots licensed pursuant to Chapter 9 (§ 54.1-900 et seq.) of Title 54.1 and is performing such duties while in the Commonwealth, and (ii) the holder of the permit is 21 years of age or older. C. For the purposes of participation in concealed handgun reciprocity agreements with other jurisdictions, the official government-issued law-enforcement identification card issued to an active-duty law-enforcement officer in the Commonwealth who is exempt from obtaining a concealed handgun permit under this article shall be deemed a concealed handgun permit. 2013, c. 746.

Any lawyer type have a comment about the lack mentioning how the AG has the authority to end established agreements?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Jtlambo

Latest threads

Top Bottom