• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TLL

God Bless America
    Jan 6, 2011
    Virginia
    So i have received several pistols over the years from different vendors by way of UPS. Just received an email from classic that a Tok is coming via USPS Priority 3 to 7 days. Just does not seem right some how. Guess I just have to have faith.

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    FFL-01's (and some higher versions like 07) can ship handguns via USPS. We peons cannot...even with an FFl-03.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Funny isn't it. Post office is a "gun free zone"
    but just don't open it till you get home.
    That's how my Classic Tok came.
    it was packaged tight and made it just fine.

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    So i have received several pistols over the years from different vendors by way of UPS. Just received an email from classic that a Tok is coming via USPS Priority 3 to 7 days. Just does not seem right some how. Guess I just have to have faith.

Correct that FFL 01s can ship by USPS, but keep in mind that means that the box can be dropped off on your doorstop and left there, no signature required. This time of year is especially bad for having guns sitting on your doorstep.

TLL

God Bless America
    Jan 6, 2011
    Virginia
    My young ups guy is great too. Ill have to chase him down to gift him for his good deeds.

kazan182

Aug 3, 2011
    Correct that FFL 01s can ship by USPS, but keep in mind that means that the box can be dropped off on your doorstop and left there, no signature required. This time of year is especially bad for having guns sitting on your doorstep.

All of mine that come via USPS require signature. So needless to say I have to go to the PO the next day to grab it. I have had much less stuff damaged from USPS than UPS or FedEx.

KSFrostie

Ultimate Member
    Mar 29, 2013
    Carroll County
    I am new to the whole C&R thing and having guns shipped directly to my places. So I was going to ask this in a thread of its wown but it seems to go well here. The few guns I have bought since I got my C&R that were sent to me through the mail didn't require a signature. I thought this was weird. But according to Docster(see quote). This isn't too abnormal. Is this a fairly common practice?

smoothebore

I've received some handguns from an FFL thru USPS with no problem, but signature required. I've also been selling fairly valuable antique shotguns on another forum and shipping them by the Post Office because it's the most convenient for me for the distance. They have all gone 2-3 day priority and insured. They all delivered in that time, without any problem, as far away as New York, Georgia, Alabama, and Nebraska. USPS has improved it's act considerably in recent years.

jkeiler

Mar 25, 2013
    Bowie
    I've had several guns shipped USPS, always had to sign, and if not there then pick up at the local post office.

whistlersmother

Peace through strength
    Jan 29, 2013
    Fulton, MD
    I have gotten antique (pre 1898) firearms via the US Postal Service... never thought that was allowed, but I've gotten them a few times shipped that way. Can anyone confirm that you can in-fact send an antique gun by mail?

See: http://pe.usps.com/text/pub52/pub52c4_009.htm

Specifically:
    Unloaded Antique Firearm
    Unloaded antique firearms sent as curios or museum pieces are acceptable for mailing.

smoothebore

airsporter

Apr 28, 2011
    Western MD
    Exhibit 432.1

Mailability Requirements for Firearms

Unloaded Handgun

Handguns — e.g., pistols, revolvers, and other firearms capable of being concealed on the person — are nonmailable UNLESS mailed by a licensed manufacturer of firearms, or a licensed dealer of firearms, or an authorized agent of the federal government or government of a state, territory, or district, and ONLY when addressed to a person in one of the following categories for use in the person’s official duties AND upon filing the required affidavit or certificate, as applicable (see DMM 601.11.1.3–7):

h. Addressee: Licensed manufacturers and dealers of firearms.
    Affidavit or Certificate Requirements: Signed statement on PS Form 1508, Statement by Shipper of Firearms.

The mailer must be a licensed manufacturer or dealer mailing to another licensed manufacturer or dealer.

So, has something changed or is USPS considering C&R holders dealers?

Last edited:

smoothebore

disassemble, remove slide, magazine and call it machine parts... :-)

I always want to follow the rules as the carrier sees it. We like to think that laws are clear, but they are open to the interpretation of the carrier. My little Post Office in Vienna saw the law as a shotgun is a gun and goes to an FFL01, period. The last shotgun I sold was a hammergun made in 1888. The buyer refused to supply an FFL because of the pre 1898 age of the gun, and suggested I list it as above, just call it "machine parts". I explained this situation to my local Postmaster, and asked that she check into the ruling so I would know how to proceed. After re-examining USPS rules, she accepted that a pre-1898 gun can ship from individual to individual.

As FFL03 license holders, we are obliged to follow all gun laws and the interpretations of those laws by any carrier handling the shipment of a gun.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    And disassembling a handgun, then declaring it as machine parts is against Federal law as well as UPS and Fed Ex policy. If it's a firearm, it is to be declared to the carrier by law.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom